Time in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I've read from multiple sources that bottles should spend a while (about a week is optimal) in the fridge before you drink them. This, in theory, dissolves the CO2 and evenly distributes it.

So like a good student, I've always kept them in the fridge for at least a couple days before drinking. Then the other day, I wanted to see if a beer was carbonated so I put it in the freezer (from room temp) for half an hour and drank it. It was great! Fully carbonated and I didn't notice a difference from a beer that was in the fridge for weeks.

Now I will admit that I have experienced that the longer it is in the fridge the more the yeast remains on the bottom of the bottle. However, is the info I read about CO2 correct?

Nice to know. I may have to try that myself!

I like to keep mine in for a week. Part of that is I see how clear my lighter beers can be.

That's what I understand too, that the cold temp forces the CO2 into solution. Without it it's mostly in the headspace of the bottle and is lost were it opened without chilling.

I brought a couple of my Dead Ringer IPAs over to my buddy's house for band practice last week. Left one of 'em in there. Now they were pretty good after 2-3 days in the fridge but still I felt they were a bit lacking. Not as clear as I had hoped.

Well, last night I had the last DR that had been in his fridge for a week. What a difference! Crystal clear with a lot more head. And I thought the flavor was crisper as well. Considering me schooled. Now I just had to make sure I leave the beer in the fridge for a week. That's gonna be the tough part!

I tried placing 2 beers that were a bit early into the freezer for a while and it did not work for me.

I also tried another one that had been in the fridge for a day, and again it did not work.

The amount of time in the frig for force carbonation is dependent upon the amount of time and temperature for for bottle conditioning.
One week of bottle conditioning at 65° will not give you good carbonation with a quick super chill.
Three weeks of bottle conditioning at 70° will give you good carbonation with a quick super chill.
Depending on the style of beer you may want to let the bottle warm a bit before pouring.

I'm seeing I have problems with my hazelnut brown anyway. It's carbonated, but has NO head at all. I had mash and fermentation problems...

Ive had bottles in the fridge for weeks and just a few hours that taste the same. IMO if its done conditioning its ready to drink. But Ive always let it chill in the fridge the day I want to drink it for at least 3 hours.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back