Time for vanilla beans in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreiz

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a cocoa vanilla oatmeal stout and will use real vanilla beans in the secondary (the usual cut open, scrape out the insides, chop up and soak in alcohol for a while procedure). I've done this once before and left the beer on vanilla beans in the secondary for 1 week and the flavor/aroma was pretty noticeable. This time I have to travel for about 17-18 days, and I wonder if that will be too much vanilla. How long do you guys usually leave beer on the beans this way for?

Take samples, when the vanilla character is right, take the beans out of the beer or take the beer off the beans. 2 weeks is about what I usually do, but it really depends on your beer, your beans, and your taste preference.

Yes, I'd like to take samples and keep an eye on it, but as I said, I'll be traveling, so the earliest I could check would be just over 2 weeks after transferring to secondary..

About a year ago I made a coconut vanilla porter and racked the beer onto vanilla beans (and toasted coconut) for about a week. At bottling time, the vanilla flavor and aroma was great and well-balanced with the coconut. By the time the bottles had finished conditioning a few weeks later, the vanilla presence was almost gone and it was all coconut.

I am not sure exactly what happened with that beer, but it makes me think I have no idea how I'm ever going to be able to produce a balanced vanilla flavor.

Yes, I'd like to take samples and keep an eye on it, but as I said, I'll be traveling, so the earliest I could check would be just over 2 weeks after transferring to secondary..

Why not just wait until you come back to add the beans? Without more details it is hard to give you more specific advice.

Latest posts

Back