Time for giving.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamiltonkiler

Reaction score
Strawberry leaving my home [emoji30]. Table recipe for the relatives and the Bourbon fortified for my father.
IMG_0033.jpg

Reusing Bottles = OK, but are you reusing corks? That's a no-no...

Same clothes with a serious flaw in them. Like a skid mark. Sure, you can re-wear the skid marked undies, but best for a clean pair to get you through the day.

Why not? Sterile and synthetic.

The concern is that (unlike undies being run through the washer/dryer) the cork has plenty of crevasses for wine and bacteria to hide that are difficult to reach with cleanser and sanitizer. The same argument is made for barrels where it is essentially impossible for steam, cleaner, rinse water, sanitizer, etc... to reach deep enough into the wood to completely sanitize the barrel. This is why barrels are typically immediately refilled or dried only long enough to fill with SO2 gas. It is also why corks come in bags also filled with SO2 gas.

I suppose you could run your corks through the oven at 250 for 30min as an autoclave, but honestly it's easier and safer to just go buy new corks.

Back