Time For Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogan029

Reaction score
Good Evening all,

So I have had this in my primary fermenter for the past 4 days. There is still a small bit of head on it. Do you think I can transfer it to my carboy now or should I wait for it to go down?

See photo

Thanks!!!

Ryan

IMG_1171.jpg

Personally I would leave it where it is for another week to 10 days and call it done.

I agree. No need to transfer it at all unless you need to free up that primary. Just leave it right where it is until you are ready to package it. As mentioned above, you want to make sure the yeast have enough time to clean up any fermentation by products so you don't end up with off flavors.

I was thinking of only doing two weeks if I did transfer it to carboy.. this would be the first time that I have left it in the primary.. I have a few primaries so I have no issue with leaving it in there. I used a different kind of yeast this time, i wondering if that's why its pushing so much CO2. I am used to doing kit beer so I always transfer it in there.. I just dont know lol

The air tightness of the lid has no bearing on when to transfer. You should be at final gravity, that is the lowest it will go, before transferring. That is if you transfer at all.

Many, including myself rarely do a secondary unless adding fruit or something. Just leave it in primary for 2-4 weeks then check the gravity and bottle.

It is definitely not ready based on the picture.

Kit beers, recipes, extract or all grain... it makes no difference on whether to do a secondary. It is mostly personal preference. Some think it makes no difference, some think a secondary clears the beer better.

Still it is not ready. 10-14 days is minimum, IMO.

Awesome thanks! what should the specific gravity be before bottling if im leaving it in the primary for the entire time?

The specific gravity should be the same over a period to three to five days to call it final gravity. Take a reading at ten days. Take another three to five days later.
Extra time in the primary will allow the beer to clear the same as in a secondary vessel. Except no extra work sanitizing and racking.

I just leave mine in the bucket for 3-4 weeks. Never mess w/it,just let the little yeastes do their thing. Then cold crash another week and bottle for 3 more.

Latest posts

Back