Tilt - Does it replace hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
So, for those of you have been using a Tilt for a period of time, is it an effective, accurate, and reliable replacement for taking samples?

I just got one and haven't had a chance to use it but my first order of business will be to see how it compares to actual hydrometer

I've been using one to monitor three batches now. Had to replace the first one because of a calibration issue, but the second has been pretty close so far. Customer service is excellent, btw.

The second one is usually only a few points off max and most times closer than that. You can adjust the OG reading within the app which should help with reading discrepancies.

I still double check with a hydrometer when gravity becomes stable according to the Tilt. It's really useful to monitor trends as you can use the app to update a Google spreadsheet which keeps track of gravity and temp, logging and graphing over the course of fermentation. It updates the sheet every 15 minutes.

I really like mine and am considering getting a second one.

I have had mine for a few years now and have found it very useful in satisfying my curiosity and keeping me from taking too many samples but it does not replace a hydrometer. It seems to be accurate until close to final gravity but then it is hit or miss. I always use a hydrometer to ensure I get the right final gravity reading.

I'm impressed with the range of the newest Tilt model. With the unit in my Blichmann SST conical, I can recieve the signal on my phone's bluetooth at about 30 ft. I do have to be within about 10 ft to establish the initial pairing. I was concerned that the stainless steel would significantly impair readings, but it seems to not be the case.

I'm only in the early stage of its first use, but I appreciate the ability to NOT take hydrometer samples.

I have had mine for a few years now and have found it very useful in satisfying my curiosity and keeping me from taking too many samples but it does not replace a hydrometer. It seems to be accurate until close to final gravity but then it is hit or miss. I always use a hydrometer to ensure I get the right final gravity reading.

I'm going to use a spunding valve to self-carbonate the beer; is this accurate such that a reading of, say, 1.020 will be within a point or so of the true gravity?

I hate the idea of having to take several samples just to get close.

I’m no rocket scientist so I’m not sure how/if the pressure will effect the readings but I find it common under normal conditions for the Tilt to be anywhere from right on to about 1.5 gravity points higher than my hydrometer (which I know to be accurate). All things considered I think it is very useful, I would just recommend taking a hydrometer sample for FG to be sure.

Anyone happen to know if there is a better way to view the current gravity and temp when away from home other than the complicated process of using a spreadsheet on a cloud?

I'm going to use a spunding valve to self-carbonate the beer; is this accurate such that a reading of, say, 1.020 will be within a point or so of the true gravity?

I have this exact same question.

I use a spunding valve and ferment under pressure and have wondered if the carbonation affects the Tilt reading. Been too lazy to actually check it though. I may do some comparisons with my next brew. That said, it still works great to let me know when my fermentation is complete.

I wished it was so but just wasn't accurate especially for trying to time the spund. IMO simply an amusing toy with little utility.

I wished it was so but just wasn't accurate especially for trying to time the spund. IMO simply an amusing toy with little utility.

I disagree about it having little utility. I think the Tilt is great for closed loop pressure fermenting with a spunding valve. It shows me exactly when the fermentation has started by showing the gravity beginning to drop (this is before the pressure begins to increase). It also shows me when the fermentation is done without me having to open the fermentor to take samples to check the gravity.

I bought two of the Tilts even before they were called Tilt. They do exactly what I want them to do but the battery life on the old ones isn't so great.

I bought two of the Tilts even before they were called Tilt. They do exactly what I want them to do but the battery life on the old ones isn't so great.

Regarding battery life, I heard one user mention a life of about 50 to 60 hours of actual use. Does that agree with your experience? I'm just trying to anticipate how frequently I'll need to replace the battery.

+/- 0.002 accuracy? Get that thing calibrated and sounds sweet. Hell yeah Id be using the tilt 99% of the readings I took. Have to get one of these, hydrometer readings are tired af.

Regarding battery life, I heard one user mention a life of about 50 to 60 hours of actual use. Does that agree with your experience? I'm just trying to anticipate how frequently I'll need to replace the battery.

I have two of the very first generation devices. In the beginning it was called Brewometer. As I understand it, the newer versions have a MUCH longer battery life. With the first generation devices I can get a lot more than 50-60 hours of use. 50 hours isn't enough for a single brew so I know that cannot be accurate. I can get multiple brews from a single battery. I'm guessing I get 3-4 brews, and that's with the older devices. Since the fist ones do not have a battery status indicator (I understand that the new version does have a battery status indicator) I just change out the battery every three brews. I do make sure to place them in a vertical position when not in use to turn off the power.

Got one when I was over in the US this fall, I guess it's not the new model. Used it once, not having to open the fermenter for a reading is super cool. I used the iOS app which sucks, kept loosing my settings, including brewstat.us url so logging was a mess. Going to try to hook it up to a RPi next time, they offer a free disk image of Raspbian with the software to read the Tilt included. I also looked into feeding it into Brewpi but I use the legacy Arduino version which broke when I tried to install the 'brewpi-brewometer' patch.

Come to think of it, 50 to 60 hours is silly. That wouldn't last a single ferment. I should have recognized that earlier.

I've got a Raspberry Pi Zero and intend to get that set up. Has anyone worked through the process? I've downloaded the Tilt Pi software, but my SD card has been flashed with the NooBs software and its taking up all the space. Is the NooBs software needed? Should I reformat the card and burn the Tilt Pi onto that card?

How strong is the signal? I ferment in a 15.5 gal Sanke fermenter, so thicker walls than a typical stainless conical as it's designed for pressure. And that goes into a fridge. Is there much likelihood this will still connect?

I used a corny to ferment and had to place my phone right next to the keezer to get a reading. Mind that the range should be a lot better for the new version.

Man I really want one of these! How accurate is the thermometer in everyone’s experience?
Mine seems to read 1 or 2 degrees above my thermowell sensor, but I don't know if it's because of temperature stratification. I trust the thermowell sensor and don't pay much attention to the Tilt temp.

Man I really want one of these! How accurate is the thermometer in everyone’s experience?

My BrewPi is reporting 66F and the Tilt says 65.86F.

Not sure how long the battery lasts. I have one in my RIS since January 11, 2018 and it is still reporting a slow decrease in gravity.

Now this may or may not be interesting. I just got one. Literally pitched 2 hours ago. I noticed my thermowell and tilt were about 6 degrees diff. Now my setup is a thermowell in a bucket. If i measure the lead so it's about 6 inches into the wort it's really close. Otherwise it's close to the bottom. Is that mean fermentation is starting?

https://docs.google.com/a/baronbrew...b9-AdEIKy14KTBdI3p0s41vBpbw7hxPUPNJ7TfmE/edit
20180222_160557.jpg
20180222_160540.jpg

That’s interesting, so, do you think that’s truly reflecting a 6 degree difference in the wort temp from top to bottom? Did you happen to compare your temp probe and tilt in a say a glass of room temp water?

That’s interesting, so, do you think that’s truly reflecting a 6 degree difference in the wort temp from top to bottom? Did you happen to compare your temp probe and tilt in a say a glass of room temp water?
Yes if i measure off the probe wire so it's 6 inches into wort it's much closer but if i push it to bottow of thermowell it's cooler.

Regarding battery life, I heard one user mention a life of about 50 to 60 hours of actual use.

I've been using the Tilt for a little over a year now. I typically get 3 to 4 fermentation cycles out of 1 battery. However, this significantly decreases when the Tilt is not stored properly. Horizontally stored = on = low battery life. Vertically stored = off = excellent-ish battery life. Sometimes I forget to store it properly and the end result is low battery life. My bad. :eek:

Quick questions

Could I buy a tilt, throw it in and just flat trust it? Or is there some bs to figure out? Or is it not accurate enough?

Quick questions

Could I buy a tilt, throw it in and just flat trust it? Or is there some bs to figure out? Or is it not accurate enough?

Pretty much. The most difficult thing to do, which really isn't all that difficult, is to get the Google Spreadsheet set up that logs the data from the Tilt.

I am using mine for the first time. I have found the temp to be very accurate, its always exactly what my FTSs is set to. The gravity jumps around. Its usually fairly consistent but I had a couple days where it said .9997 or so. Also jumped up and down between 1.011 and 1.007 the last couple of days.

I have two and I hate fermenting without it in the beer. Once calibrated it is at least as accurate as a typical hobby hydrometer. You can get occasional strange readings for a single data point but these are easily edited off the spreadsheet so the chart looks right. It also “bumps along” +- 2 pts Sg during peak fermentation which let’s know what is going on inside my SS Brewtech conicals.

The temp is also easily calibrated.

And the customer service is truly remarkable.

I do use my lab grade hydrometer for on official starting and finishing gravity.

I have two and I hate fermenting without it in the beer. Once calibrated it is at least as accurate as a typical hobby hydrometer. You can get occasional strange readings for a single data point but these are easily edited off the spreadsheet so the chart looks right. It also “bumps along” +- 2 pts Sg during peak fermentation which let’s know what is going on inside my SS Brewtech conicals.

The temp is also easily calibrated.

And the customer service is truly remarkable.

I do use my lab grade hydrometer for on official starting and finishing gravity.
Here's an example of what he means by bumping. It's just the physical movement of the fermentation.

Oddly right after this I got 1.009 and 1.012 so I'll see what happens.
20180223_131756.png

Another thing - it is particularly helpful for meads and lagers where I want to take some action when a certain gravity point is passed.

Once I had a mead that stalled out. I saw the curve flatten out. I got right in, took a Ph reading - too low. Added some potassium bicarbonate and I could see things pick up in a short period. Without the tilt I’d not get this sorted so quickly.

OK I am about 4.6 days into my first try with this device. Brewed a 1.054 hoppy pale ale, pitched with new packs of US-05. Until yesterday I was pretty happy with the performance...Had about 20 hour lag then fermentation took off. Could see that from airlock activity and corresponded well with the tilt reading. Signal is pretty noisy but the trend is clear. Then yesterday after hitting about 1.020 SG started increasing. Based on slowing airlock activity I bumped temps a degree and will bump another degree today. I've brewed this recipe many times and don't really need to rely on the tilt to make that call. But I'm kinda bummed. I am wondering if it is the choice of yeast. US-05 is a sticky messy top fermentor. Maybe the tilt is fouled by the krausen? Any other ideas?

I'm reluctant to take a gravity sample but if I do should I use that reading to recalibrate the tilt?

Also I am surprised by the temperature data. I was expecting 0.1F increments since the readout is tenths of degrees. I calibrated against a calibrated thermometer before this ferment and it is reporting temperature but after 448 data collections all the temperatures reported are one of 65.6. 66.6, 67.6 or 68.6. I am sure that is good enough to confirm temperature control and to track where I am but was surprised to see tenths of a degree presented but only whole degrees of discrimination.

upload_2018-4-6_8-49-13.png

Signal is pretty noisy but the trend is clear. Then yesterday after hitting about 1.020 SG started increasing. Based on slowing airlock activity I bumped temps a degree and will bump another degree today. I've brewed this recipe many times and don't really need to rely on the tilt to make that call. But I'm kinda bummed. I am wondering if it is the choice of yeast. US-05 is a sticky messy top fermentor. Maybe the tilt is fouled by the krausen? Any other ideas? I'm reluctant to take a gravity sample but if I do should I use that reading to recalibrate the tilt?
View attachment 565031

I would only recalibrate in distilled water. I have had issues with US-05 acting sticky as well. Also, Conan (Omega DIPA, actually) plus dry hops throws it for a loop in terms of vigor. In those cases, I don't rely on it for the actual FG measurement (but the FG agreed with my hydrometer in the end), but rather to know that fermentation has stopped. I do wish their chart had a floating average of the last 5 or 10 SG readings, but not enough for me to go in and fiddle with it.

My tilt does some funny things like that as well. For example. I think it just gets some Krausen stuck to it or something.
IMG_1069.jpg

Back