Tiling coffin keezer top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoss0984

Reaction score
I am currently building a coffin keezer and going through all of the builds on the forum I noticed a lot of people tiling the tops. I really like the look of it but I am curious if people just tiled directly to the plywood or did they put down cement board too. If they just put it directly to the ply , how is it holding up? I have 3/4 ply for the top and it's already going to be heavy, I was hoping to avoid putting cement board if I could help it but I also have a feeling I'll have future problems if I tile right to it. If anyone has done either let me know , thanks!!

In general, the plywood will expand and contract at a different rate as the tile, causing cracks to develop in the grout lines or tiles over time. Having said this, I have tiled over plywood counter tops several times successfully. I added lots of latex to the thin set and grout.

In general, the plywood will expand and contract at a different rate as the tile, causing cracks to develop in the grout lines or tiles over time. Having said this, I have tiled over plywood counter tops several times successfully. I added lots of latex to the thin set and grout.

That is what I have heard as far as the expansion and contraction. Adding latex makes sense , would I find that near the grout and thin set at the store?

@shelly_belly is right on with the latex additive helping with adhesion. In addition, the size of your plywood is small and I assume it is one continuous piece, keeping effects of shrinkage/expansion to a minimum.
If you decided you want additional protection however, you might go with a membrane underpayment instead of the hardie board. It’s light, and works well, although a little more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Schluter-Mem...73&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-799583924773

I used a sticky membrane instead of thinset. It was a lot easier and much faster due not having to wait for the thinset to cure. It was called Durabond i think. No cracks in the grout and holding strong for years.

I just applied directly to spray painted 2x6s. 4 years, no issues.
20190802_160947.jpeg

Latest posts

Back