Tig welding!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also guys, just remember a weld may look really nice (like some guy walking the cup at 40 amps) but the weld is garbage and the penetration is piss poor. I see this time and time again, it aint on the surface that what counts. stack all the dimes you want but if that weld isnt done at the proper amperage for the material thickness it will fail.

ex: if i am welding 1/4" structural SS i will do a root pass at 180 amps and cap it at 140.

I don't TIG, but this is true for any and all welding. I've seen pretty welds fail.

Made a purge set up finally and got to play around with this today full purge, fusion weld nice and clean on the insides now time for more research and to get them perfect so I can weld on my keg fittings

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441313574.950214.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441313600.458503.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441313619.249536.jpg

Next item in store is to make a turn table I know I'm not the greatest tug welder but I'm only 6 months in and have come along way

I am NOT a pro at all. But from my playing around and from what I have read is that you get it all purging like normal and then form a puddle and sit on it long enough until it just barely starts to fall in. And then keep moving where the puddle is right on the edge of falling in as you move. That should get you complete fusion.

What is the wall thickness? Inverter or transformer machine? I usually start with the basic start of 1 amp per 0.001" wall plus a couple amps and then use the pedal to dial it in at the end. It also helps to ease off on the pedal at the end to keep it smooth and minimize the crater.

Neat. I've had great success with sanitary welds using a second flow regulator with Argon for a purge weld technique. Nitrogen can do the same. As long as Oxygen similar gasses are not on the other side of the welding work you won't make barnacles that host bacteria. It is important to close the other side of the weld work. I don't like threaded connections either for this reason.

That looks like inch and a half tube? I'm guessing. I'd fuze it at about 75 amps. No filler. Purge at 10-15.

Yea think it was 1.5 tube it was just scrap work laying around I could play with. Had my purge set alittle low and just need to bump my amps and sit on the crater alillte longer sweet might have time to
Play alitte more tonight

And dam that sick^^^

Hungenjapan got a question welding fittings into a keg would it be easier to just back gas it or would there be a way to purge the hole keg and do it that way? Any insight would be awesome I'm still learning and practicing so got plenty of time to learn

For my herms hlt there will be 5 fittings and the top cut, in my mash tun bottom drain inverted keg and one fitting on the top side for recirculation bottom (top) cut off , boil top cut off 3 fittings whirlpool port temp gauge and drain

For my herms hlt there will be 5 fittings and the top cut, in my mash tun bottom drain inverted keg and one fitting on the top side for recirculation bottom (top) cut off , boil top cut off 3 fittings whirlpool port temp gauge and drain

The best way to fittings like that is to use a piece of aluminum foil and tape it onto the backside of the fitting so it has at least an inch gap between it and the fitting (so you don't burn through the foil) and poke some holes in the foil for the argon to flow out then purge through the other side of the fitting. Weld the outside first with some filler so that when you weld the inside after (it you choose to do so) there is more material there so you're less likely to burn through. Sorry if this is confusing. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ya that would probably work.. More than my work would buy for us or allow us to spend the time to make.. Lol

Lol yea I do all this on breaks or after work on my time I might have another idea let me brain storm today and I'll get a drawling made up on what I'm thinking see what you think

Here ya go:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like I found the next thing I'm making, my round one will work nice for nipples into the keggle but on long pcs it wasn't the greatest, although I could of had the flow up a little more to fill the voilds at the top and bottom probably too.

You don't even need to use gas to purge the back of an open corner weld.. Just put a piece of non ferrous material clamped tight on the other side and giver.. I do it all the time

More from yesterday, starting the 1.25" npt and 1"npt fittings today so more pics to come after work

Coupling I made for the 2"npt to fit in the over sized hole saw hole

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443781415.076797.jpg

Bottom side

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443781463.731784.jpg

Bottom drain plug

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443781546.957700.jpg

Inside weld of drain port

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443781587.127441.jpg

Base of the water tank with legs welded on

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443781680.609529.jpg

Bottom shots for legs welded

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443781792.397053.jpg

Looks pretty good. I wish I knew tig, but I've only learned mig and stick. Someday.....
37.gif
24.gif

Keep practicing and if you get the chance try tig out it use to scare me before I started now it's the only welding I want to do lol

The progression of 8months or how ever long I have been at it now lol pic on the left was the first job they threw me on and I thought I was ok the pick on the right is today same job order as my first job ever, stacked nice dimes with much better pen and heat and no dipping of the tungsten love looking back and seeing how far I have came

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444169600.190114.jpg

Full shot of today's work
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444169638.258645.jpg

Then to top it off got to add 2lbs of citra to my buddy's 5bbl brew that was just the 60 min addition there was another 2lbs at fwh then 30, 15, 10, 0, and whirlpool then they are dryhoping with 4lbs place smelled heavenly

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444169694.903739.jpg

Back