Thoughts on waiting a week to pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surgical_ass

Reaction score
My Brew buddy and I are brewing and splitting a 10 gallon batch. I currently have 10 gallons of fermenting lager in my fermentation chamber pitched yesterday. He wants to brew the end of this week again. He will be taking his 5 gallons home and fermenting it there. I'm planning on doing a Saison with my 5 gallons he is not. I think the lager will be about done fermenting in a week or so. Thoughts or experience with waiting that long to pitch yeast? I know it is not ideal I understand that sanitation is key in a situation like this. Just throwing it out there thanks guys

That doesn't sound like an ideal situation. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I suppose.

If you can keg it, putting the wort in a purged, sanitized keg with just enough pressure to ensure a good seal might be a possibility.

+1 to the above, unless you have the ability to refrigerate the wort in an airtight container. Even then you're risking something nasty getting into it. Not something I would do (and I've done some dumb things since I started brewing....)

I ferment in pressurized kegs and have the ability to keep it cold (30s) if need be. Didn't think about the botulism aspect....Definately not an ideal situation.

One word: Botulism. I wouldn't. It is done down under but the risk is there and that risk will kill you.

Or get rid of wrinkles... :D

Honestly, I've had an unfermented gallon of a DIPA sitting in my basement for about 1.5 years. It's more of an experiment than anything. My sanitation has been strong enough that nothing's grown in it. If I had taken it off the trub, I'd prolly ferment it and see how it went. If you're not sure, you can always send a sample to a lab ($50 or so http://www.oregonbrewlab.com) to have a complete analysis performed.

Here's a great article about botulism and beer wort. http://beerandwinejournal.com/botulism/

Also, wort that has been stored could be reheated to 185 °F (85 °C) for 5 minutes, as a precautionary measure, although this requires the wort to be chilled again...

It takes awhile for the bacteria to grow, so overnight chilling and a few days of sitting around should be fine. Beyond that, it is hard to say. The risk will always be small, but that needs to be weighed against the large, negative consequences.

EDITED to add quotes

Here's a great article about botulism and beer wort. http://beerandwinejournal.com/botulism/EDITED to add quotes
http://beerandwinejournal.com/botulism/

That's a good article. Almost as interesting in your 1.5 year wort experiment...another interesting bit in the article is that it is an anaerobic bacteria. Wonder if I hit it with o2 and put it below 38*f if this would basically alleviate the issue. More or less just thinking out loud now I'm really not one to screw around with this stuff not looking to kill myself over a couple gallons of beer. I'm using the yeast 3724. This batch is not costing me anything this is my brew buddies dime this time so I'm a little more inclined to dink around with it. Wondering about pitching the yeast warm letting it start and then slowly Cooling to the temperature of my lager causing the yeast to go dormant. This would add a little alcohol and pressure from the CO2 I could warm it back up after the lager is done. I guess it could also cause the yeast to throw some off flavors too though.

If you have pure o2, then hit that for 30 seconds to a minute to really aerate, then drop it cold. Personally, I wouldn't worry after that. When you pitch the Belgian strain, you'll want it warmer and let it ride.

If you’re making a saison then just pitch and let it ride id say.
If I was using the 3711 I probably would let it fly but I'm afraid with the 3724 it will not do much of anything since I wouldn't be able to set it in the upper 80s-90 like I need. I've got a closet in the garage I guess I could put it in with a heat lamp but there is still no way to keep a definate temp setting

Inkbird and a heating pad? Thats what i use. Very simple and basic, and effective. In cold weather ill wrap it in a big beach towel or a blanket to insulate, set it on carpet or cardboard so its not cold on bottom. Doesnt have to be in refrigerator at those temps, unless you are in a heat wave or your garage gets super hot.

The temperature range of that yeast is 70 - 95. Do you have a south facing window? If so try putting the fermenter in the sun and cover with thick black plastic. Though the temperature would fluctuate and you might even go above 95.. Maybe monitor the temperature and see how hot it gets and control with a shade or drapes.

How cold is your house? I would do the low end rather than let it sit for a week.
A closet with a space heater and an Inkbird?

In Australia they "Hot Cube" and from what I have read will leave it sit at times for several months before pitching the yeast. I have tried it once using a food grade container that I could remove the air from. Left it sit for about three days before pitching and it turned out just fine. Just make sure everything is sanitized and airtight.

If you're doing a saison with 3724, I would just pitch and not worry about putting it in the fermentation chamber. If anything, you want it warmer than normal ale fermentation temps anyway so that yeast can do its thing.

I say go ghetto. You don't need a temp controlled fermentation chamber to make good beer. I've been doing it for 6 years with just a water bath, adding ice bottles or an aquarium heater if necessary. Or sometimes a Styrofoam lined box and heating pad. This includes lagers, and all types of ales. Even some award winners.

In Australia they "Hot Cube" and from what I have read will leave it sit at times for several months before pitching the yeast. I have tried it once using a food grade container that I could remove the air from. Left it sit for about three days before pitching and it turned out just fine. Just make sure everything is sanitized and airtight.

This. Search for "no-chill" brewing which is big in Australia and gaining traction in the US, especially in areas prone to drought and water usage restrictions. Although I do not wait that long to pitch I typically seal my BK off and allow my wort to cool overnight nowadays on anything other than hop-forward styles with no adverse effects.

Back