Thoughts on this Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it might be a good deal on a new ball lock keg. But unless you already have other necessities. Will coast a lot more. And if you are set for ball locks I under stand. But if your open to pin style ? Kegconnection.com Has great deals in my opinion. Get a kit for ( tanks, kegs , regulator hoses etc. all assembled ) great team out there.

Happy brewing / kegging lol.

I just buy used ones from Craigslist and haven't been disappointed yet. But if I wanted a brand new one, I think that's what I'd get. You can't go wrong with Cornelius brand, plus the price on that one isn't much more than what the rebuilt used ones typically go for (although I didn't check shipping cost on it).

However, you could possibly get two used ones for the same price (maybe 3 if you factor in shipping) and they'd probably work just as well.

DanH said:
I just buy used ones from Craigslist and haven't been disappointed yet. But if I wanted a brand new one, I think that's what I'd get. You can't go wrong with Cornelius brand, plus the price on that one isn't much more than what the rebuilt used ones typically go for (although I didn't check shipping cost on it).

However, you could possibly get two used ones for the same price (maybe 3 if you factor in shipping) and they'd probably work just as well.

++

I appreciate the feedback.

My concern is that this is a "Cornelius Style" tank and not a Cornelius brand tank. I don't mind buying used if I know I am getting a quality tank. I live in Canada and will be getting all my kegging equipment shipped to a US address. In other words, I want to get it right the first time and don't want want to have to deal with returning a product as that would be a pain in the butt for me. I don't mind paying a little more for quality.

I don't know if there's merit to any claims I've heard/read, but I wouldn't buy a Chinese keg; even if only because perfectly good used ones are readily available.

[not that it's Chinese... I don't know. It may be awesome, but I didn't initially see the word "style" and that seems like a deal breaker for me.]

IF you're going to get a new corny keg, get one of the Italian made ones. They have a single metal handle, a satin finish (not all bright to distract you from what's important) and have been in use for years. I get mine from Rebel Brewer (3 gallon mostly).

If you don't care so much about it being a new keg, then start looking at the shops that sell refurbished corny kegs. The prices have been creeping up for a while now (at least over the past two years) but you should be able to get a good one for under $50 (haven't checked lately) each.

I would also check with your local HBC's to see if any are doing group corny keg purchases anytime soon. You can often score some good kegs for a better rate that way.

I appreciate the feedback.

My concern is that this is a "Cornelius Style" tank and not a Cornelius brand tank. I don't mind buying used if I know I am getting a quality tank. I live in Canada and will be getting all my kegging equipment shipped to a US address. In other words, I want to get it right the first time and don't want want to have to deal with returning a product as that would be a pain in the butt for me. I don't mind paying a little more for quality.

You do know there is a Canadian kegging and homebrew outfit that is priced on par with US shops. No brokerage or double shipping.

Back