Thoughts on re-using plastic juice container for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden_milo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new, very new to home brewing.

I started a basic cider last Thurs. It finished fermenting today. Just over 5% alc.

I've racked it and will bottle in approx 2 weeks.

Long story short... I will get glass bottles, (the last threat on stove top pasteurizing is awesome) but don't want to invest the $$$ in the equipment yet.

Can I bottle in the original 2L plastic containers? Will it hold with the original cap when primed to carbonate?

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks.
-Kris

Bottled - NADA!

Would you be able to get some half litre or 1 litre soda bottles? They will hold the carbonation.

If the bottle didn't hold carbed liquid before, it is probably not quite up to it, but might be OK. I've put cider in 500mL bottles that previously had still water in them, they didn't burst, but the bottoms blew outwards making them impossible to stand up without leaning against something. I fear that a 2L bottle would actually pop.

yeah, the juice bottles aren't really designed to hold carbonation. You might have issues with the caps/seals leaking CO2, and some possibility that the bottle itself wouldn't be able to tolerate the pressure and could explode. I'd go the 2-litre soda bottle route if you're just looking for a quick fix. Also, you can just bottle it without carbonation.

Good points. Plastic pop bottles it is and they won't be hard to get my hands on. Thanks!

Just make sure to be really careful. Carbing is like playing with fire if you wait too long :p good luck!

Back