Thoughts on new kickstarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It got funded in 8hrs.. Looks like a pretty well built system. I am a little curious as to the STC1000 controller..maybe it isn't the 1000 but just curious. Previous models have used auger ez boil controllers.

I own one of their 120v sealed wort pumps..Its solidly built and was a cheap and easy replacement for a chugger that died on me. I would expect this system to be as well built as the pump is.

Honestly, for those apartment/condo/small space all-grain brewers, this is a really attractive setup if you can afford it.

I would be curious what the final price tag for this ends up being when it goes to retail...Looks like it might be more expensive than the grainfather but more compact of a design, but I hear nothing but good things from Grainfather owners.

Seems like new compact brewing systems are becoming the norm of late..Grainfather/This one/Picomatic/Braumeister...I just hope the homebrew market demand at this point is still there to keep these guys in business at those price points ($1k+ price points).

The Kickstarter getting funded in less than 8 hours looks to be a clear sign the demand is still there which I hope it is for the long haul.

A clever design, I like it. But.....
I'm also skeptical about the boil, AND the claims that it will be done in 4 hours (if you start with cold tap water.)
I think its going to take a long time to get up to temperature.
I guess you could speed up the ramp time if you heated water on the stove and dumped it in. But $1,000 isn't chump change and I've got better things to spend money on.

Edit: The kickstarter page shows photos of what I presume is a prototype. I tried to find any videos that show it boiling, but none seem to be available.

It got funded in 8hrs.. Looks like a pretty well built system. I am a little curious as to the STC1000 controller..maybe it isn't the 1000 but just curious. Previous models have used auger ez boil controllers.

The kickstarter getting "funded" is meaningless in this case, because they set their pledge goal at a point so low that there was virtually no chance they wouldn't meet it, and they say they're shipping in 2 weeks. They're just using kickstarter as a product launch announcement and storefront. Nothing wrong with that, but don't be mislead. Granted, they've sold over 45 of the things in the last 24 hours. . .

And yeah, that is a super cheaply made controller. Everything else looks pretty nice, but that controller is pretty meh. EZBoil would have been substantially nicer.

There's $1000 worth of triclamp fittings on that thing. I'd rather have less triclamp and better control box.

They should make a 240V option, as 120V will be as slow as the one from the Grainfather. I have the 240V version of the Grainfather and although I think it works well, I wished they've used a more powerful heating element, something like 2500W or 3000W.

Back