Thoughts on fan for hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
G'morning

Recently received a blower motor I'd like to use for a hood for the brewery in my garage. Not really needed but during the winter I'm sure it would be nice to be able to close the garage door. Anyways I've attached a picture.

Spec say it spins at 1650 RPM, would that be enough?

Thanks for looking!

IMG_20120801_074135.jpg

You emailed me about this fan so I thought I'd post my comments here instead of emailing you back privately:

RPM tells you absolutely nothing about how much air it moves. It's air movement (CFM) that matters. It's air movement through duct or piping that matters too. Many fans have CFM that drops greatly as soon as you add any piping/ductwork. The good news is that squirrel cage fans like yours tend to drop less as they have better static pressure. So that's good.

What's the CFM rating of the fan?

The other thing to consider is whether it's meant for evacuating moist air. Ie: Is it meant to be used as fan above a stove. If not, it's not suitable for brewing.

Kal

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I may have mistaken RPM with CFM, as the machine is rated based off of CFM. It is definitely not designed to move moist air, but it is used very often in moist environments and is designed to suck through a series of filters, including HEPA, and exhaust out the building through 20' of duct. I guess I'll mutilate one of my excess storage bins and see if it has any practical uses in the brewery.

Back