Thoughts on a Red Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
I am going to do a Red Rye Ale, next, have built a recipe and I am about to head down the road of ordering and brewing ingredients. Any thoughts on percentage of flaked Rye in the grain bill? Currently I am at about 15%, which I know is high for a normal addition but as the idea is to be more Rye forward at the moment I think it might be enough.

I think it will be fine. I do a rye beer with 9# maris otter, 3# rye malt, 4 oz of flaked rye, and 6 oz chocolate wheat. It's pretty rye-forward. The rough equivalent in yours (using mine with only barley, no rye malt) would be about 11 # barley and about 2# of flaked rye. That would be 15.4 percent of the grain bill, or very close to what you specified.

I think it'll be fine. We might have to do a bottle swap when you're done. :)

I've done it up to 25% rye with great results. Don't forget to get a pound of rice hulls. Otherwise sparging may be a pain.

Thanks for the input. I got rice hulls on the bill already, I use a small amount of rye in my IPA and don't like to play with the stuck sparge.

Back