Thoughts on a Red IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhenderson27

Reaction score
All grain
Est OG 1.065
Est FG 1.016
Abv- 6.39%
SRM 18.53
IBU 70.52

12lbs pale 2 row
.75 lbs carapils
.75 c-120
.50 pale chocolate

1oz Falconers Flight @ 60 & 35
1oz Cascade @ 15 & 5
2oz Cascade Dry Hop 10-14 days.

Mash at 153 for 60, pitch Onto fresh wyeast pacific nw ale yeast cake, ferment at 66 for 2 weeks.

Never done a red IPA but seems interesting. Open to honest thoughts and changes. For 5g batch into fermenter.

I've never tried this, but Heretic Brewing's Evil Twin grain bill is:

-- 10-lbs.-English-Maris-Otter-
-- 1-lbs.-German-Munich-malt-
--.75-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-40L-
--.375-lbs.-Briess-Victory-
--.375-lbs.-Briess-Caramel-120L-
--.25-lbs.-Fawcett-Pale-Chocolate-

I've heard it called a Red IPA. I got the info from Northern Brewer's kit (look at the instruction sheet in "additional info"):
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/jamils-evil-twin-all-grain-kit.html

I'd drop the Pale Chocolate personally, i think you will find that it will come out too dark, and you'll be closer to a Black IPA than Red. You should get plenty of color and flavor from the 120. Other than that I think it looks pretty solid.:mug:

See I thought the same thing about the pale choc, but everyone of the red IPAs I have seen all call for roast barley and the srm on that is 550 vs 190-220 for pale choc, oh the tough decisions to be made on making beer. Thoughts anyone else

I cold steeped a few ounces of carafa III, strained it, then dropped the solution into the boil late. It worked great because I got the color, without much roast flavor. This is what I got, for a red IPA.

IMG_0626.jpg

I did the evil twin brew. But halved the choc malt. It's a perfect dark blood red colour. Used 40grams. If u use 20 g or replace the 120 with spec b. you might be closer to what your aiming for.

crusader1612 said:
I did the evil twin brew. But halved the choc malt. It's a perfect dark blood red colour. Used 40grams. If u use 20 g or replace the 120 with spec b. you might be closer to what your aiming for.

So your saying take the choc from .5lb or 8oz to .7 of an ounce, I don't even see what that minimal of a contribution could do. Would this even be enough to lend any color?

jperry said:
I cold steeped a few ounces of carafa III, strained it, then dropped it into the boil late. It worked great because I got the color, without much roast flavor. This is what I got, for a red IPA.

What changes would you make to mine to use the carafa III?

This is a ESB that I did, while it technically wasn't an IPA I hopped it to taste pretty close and I mashed much lower at 150 to really dry it out.

IMG_2402.jpg

I used:
11.8 2ROW
12 oz 120
4 Oz Chocolate.

for a 5.5 gallon batch.

What changes would you make to mine to use the carafa III?

I'd swap the C-120, for C-40 or C-60. And I'd swap the pale chocolate, with Carafa III and use less.

I make my normal IPA recipes, then add the water from the cold-steeped Carafa III, late in the boil. I get the color I wanted, without any excessive roast malt character.

For the cold steep: I mixed 1L of water(2 water bottles), to 4 oz's of Carafa special III, strained it, then dumped the black liquid, into 6 gal of boiling wort. At first, I thought I messed up and made it too dark or brown, but, you saw the pic.

Here is a link to my actual recipe: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/ira-2-2

So I rolled forward with this recipe, reduced the pale chocolate to .33 of a pound and gave it a shot. Brew day went well, hit 1.060, .003 low but was preoccupied and didn't boil off enough.
Took a sample pre yeast pitch and is amazing. Good hops, nice malt and a gorgeous red color. Pitched a huge 1056 starter and happily bubbling 10 hours later. Will report back later.

image-3317233470.jpg

NervousDad said:
Looks great! But you're running a little low on coffee cups :D

Lol, that's just the quick on hand dry storage for our bar(currently in conversion to brewpub). You should see the keg room/bottle room!

So this has been in a fermenter for 4 days now, very vigorous fermentation for the first few and now starting to slow. Pulled a sample today and SG is 1.020 from 1.060. I'll be happy if I can get down to 1.016ish and then I will plan to stop this one around 5.5%. Tasted the sample and was excellent. Good hop character, excellent subtle malt and just a touch of roast/caramel. I will leave this on the yeast for another week or 2 to do its job then plan to dry hope with 1/2 oz falconers and 2oz of cascade. Very excited but I won't rush it.

I'd drop the Pale Chocolate personally, i think you will find that it will come out too dark, and you'll be closer to a Black IPA than Red. You should get plenty of color and flavor from the 120. Other than that I think it looks pretty solid.:mug:

I disagree, I just did one with a half pound of the pale chocolate malt and it has a gorgeous red hue.

85.8% 20.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
5.9% 1.38 lbs. Carahell Malt Germany 1.034 12
5.9% 1.38 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
2.4% 0.56 lbs. Pale Cholcate Malt Great Britian 1.032 200

I disagree, I just did one with a half pound of the pale chocolate malt and it has a gorgeous red hue.

85.8% 20.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
5.9% 1.38 lbs. Carahell Malt Germany 1.034 12
5.9% 1.38 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
2.4% 0.56 lbs. Pale Cholcate Malt Great Britian 1.032 200

I'm guessing that was a 10 gal batch. At least I hope so.

A very pretty deep mahogany red. Just off dry hop and into a keg with a quick carb, couldn't wait to grab a glass. Excellent flavor profile, subtle roast with a nice caramel malt and excellent bittering throughout.

image-769627365.jpg

Latest posts

Back