This Tripel tastes salty, w..t..f..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
Recipe:
9.5lbs pilsen dme
.6lb american carmel 10L
1.5 lb invert sugar
2oz goldings
2oz domestic hallertau
1oz sterling
I used the white labs strong ale yeast (forgot the #)

No starter.
I boiled for 40 minutes, not 60.

How can I get a salty beer? I used RO water.

did you invert your own sugar? any chance it was salt and not sugar?

did you invert your own sugar? any chance it was salt and not sugar?

Thought of that, but I ended up just using sucrose. God help me if I mixed them up.

Might I add, this has not been bottled, nor cleared, it's sitting around 9% abv, and is only 3 weeks old.

What do you guys think:

Since it isn't cleared yet I'm going to just let it cold crash a bit longer. If it clears nicely, I expect the saltiness to disappear (I don't think its actually salt, I think its un-aggregated amino acids and stuff from the hops).

If that doesn't work, I'll add some bentonite to remove positively charged particles. Since the amount of actual grains in this is very low, and I'm not a huge fan of hops, I don't think bentonite would be a danger of removing too much flavor profile.

Input = appreciated!

I'm sorry I don't really have anything constructive to add other than I have never heard of hops imparting a salty taste (as for not boiling "long enough", hops obviously can get added at any point in a boil or after a boil, so if that was the case, I think you'd see a lot of "salty" beer), but I wanted to add this:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaLpHoZA8E[/ame]

This tripel...is making me thirsty!!

I brewed an imperial stout and I too did not make a starter. I got a soy sauce taste when I started drinking from keg. I attributed the taste to bad pitch rate. The beer has since mellowed.

Its settling out, I added some bentonite and that's removed some of that peculiar saltiness. Will give this a couple weeks more and bottle.

When did you sample? What times were the hops added?

I'm kind of wondering about the Sterling. That will bring some spice. Also it seems overhopped for a trippel especially if you're not a huge fan.

I'd also be concerned about the pitch rate.

The pitch rate is definitely something to be concerned about. Hops were added with 20/15 minutes left. It's still off. When I remake this I'll be doing less hops. There is an astringency I'm not fond of

This happened to me once, on an amber german lager. I never did figure out what could have happened, but I had to dump the batch due to the crazy salty flavor.

Back