This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes?

I'm not affiliated with CarMax but I've bought my last 2 vehicles from them. There's no sale pressure as the employees aren't on commission.

After a terrible experience at a "traditional" dealership 9yrs ago, I'll not shop in one again.

I've shopped for a car at Cadillac, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. None of those places were pressuring me. I walked out of each place without being apprehended either. Nearly all of them asked me to come back if I had questions.

I eventually bought a fully loaded Lexus 300H for $60k. They would NOT negotiate at all. That's the price take it or leave it. No leaving the room to talk to the boss. They only had the one car and knew it would sell at that price. It wasn't a bad experience.

My guess the attitude has a lot to do with brand of car they are selling.

I've bought two cars previously at Carmax, but generally I find them to be overpriced. I've been looking there, but the last one I looked at had the distinct smell of burning oil during the test drive, which is a bit of a turn-off for me when it comes to vehicles. ;)

There's a lot to like about the "no-haggle" process, but if you're looking to get a deal, you're not going to find it at Carmax. They seem to have a consistently higher listing price than most other dealers for comparable year/mileage, and obviously you're not going to get any discount to the price by haggling. I'm looking more in the CPO range now, as most of the CPO vehicles have warranties despite being equal "listing" price to Carmax.

CPO means gently used and looked at real good. Me, too. Looking at replacing the Frontier with another Frontier. I mean, a CPO vehicle. /raises pinky. It comes with a power-train warranty. Cool. The engine block is warranted against cracking in two, so long as the myriad of other things that would probably go wrong first to cause that, don't.

BTW that dealership now called me two more times, so on the last call I got a little bit nasty with them.

But one of the calls was interesting. On my first call I had told them (they're in San Diego) that I live up in Orange County, and that Easter was the only day I could get down there in the next 1-2 weeks. So on the second call the guy was saying that he'd drive the car north for me to look at it when I had time.

Sounds nice, right? He's going above and beyond.

But not necessarily. I've taken numerous classes on persuasion, and one of the best ways to persuade someone is to give them something. Essentially if you do something nice for someone, it creates a subconscious debt in that person and they're more likely to do what you want them to do.

Obviously if someone takes the time to drive a car from San Diego to where I live, it makes me seem rude if I just take a look and say "nah, I don't like it". And even if I do like it, it makes it harder to bargain the guy down. After all, *I* was the first one calling with interest in the car, then he went *out of his way* to make it available to me. Am I going to be as effective getting that extra $500-1000 out of the deal if I'm [subconsciously] thinking he's doing me a favor?

This applies to Carmax too. They have their easy transfer policies where any vehicle within a reasonable distance is transferred for free from another dealer to you. You like a certain vechicle that's 60 miles away? Well just call Carmax, and they'll have it on your local lot ready to look at in a few days, "reserved" for you. Again, you have already picked a vehicle, you've already emotionally invested in it, and then Carmax did something to make it "easy" for you. I'd say conversion rates for vehicles that are transferred are VERY high. Had that vehicle I drove on Wednesday night not smelled like it was burning oil, I very well would have come home with it *despite* the fact that I know Carmax is overpriced. After all, I had asked the salesman about it once, but someone else transferred it, and then he had found it for me again a week later after the other sale fell through (gee, I wonder why it fell through lol).

This is why I try to deal with car dealerships on *MY* terms. And why it makes me doubly angry when they pestered me with phone calls despite me never even giving them my phone number.

Dang! $60K on a car? I need a better job.

It's a Lexus hybrid. Full navigation package with mobile integration for multiple cell phones. Heated and air conditioned seats. Lumbar and leg support. Heated steering wheel, raise & lower rear shade, retracting back shades. 16 speaker sound system. Sun roof. Leather seats, leather dash, and bamboo trim. Has parking assist. Has sensors all around the car. Detects cars in your blind spot.

It's definitely a sweet ride. Best MPG I've gotten is 47 mpg driving to Florida. It has 3 driving modes; ECO, Normal and Sport. It gets up to speed pretty fast on the highway in sport mode.

2017-Lexus-ES-300h-front-three-quarters.jpg

People without hobbies.

Seriously, folks, being up to date on "The Bachelor" or "The Kardashians" does NOT make you an interesting person.

Do something interesting if you want people to think you actually are interesting.

My wife says I'm one dimensional, my personality is all about beer. Haha.... I say to her, if it's really one thing, well at least it's something I like. I love food too. I can talk food all day. After beer, my passion is cooking.

BTW - My wife is that person above ^^^.

My wife says I'm one dimensional, my personality is all about beer. Haha.... I say to her, if it's really one thing, well at least it's something I like. I love food too. I can talk food all day. After beer, my passion is cooking.

BTW - My wife is that person above ^^^.

There can be many interpretations of this post.

The lesbian couple that lives next door to us says it's sexy. Never knew a car was sexy. They're Puerto Rican. I can still hear them saying, "Oooh it's so sexy, I love it!" with that PR accent.

I'm Puertorican and I say its sexy. Its a cultural thing, we are more dramatic and expressive that US cultures.

It's a Lexus hybrid. Detects cars in your blind spot.

I would not want to pay for most of the options you listed but I need this, especially if it detects motorcycles. Just the other day I was in the right lane with my right turn signal on approaching an intersection when a bike blew by me on the right just as I was ready to turn.

I would not want to pay for most of the options you listed but I need this, especially if it detects motorcycles. Just the other day I was in the right lane with my right turn signal on approaching an intersection when a bike blew by me on the right just as I was ready to turn.

At different times, you'd want those features.

When it's hot out the ac seats rock as do the retracting shades. When it's freezing the heated steering wheel and seats are great. The sensors are great for parallel parking and driving in busy city traffic. It also has the back up camera with reticle for good curb alignment and to how close you are to the other car.

The navigation package is great for the obvious. When you don't know where you're going. While on the expressway it tells you where the next gas station, atm, hotel or restaurant are at and shows the next 3 exits and what they have for businesses. You have to tell it to display them. For example you see a Dunking Donuts logo when you're getting close to one. The thing I like the most is the voice sounds like a real person not robot like. It's got a nice CALM women's voice.

The mobile reads your text messages and you can dictate messages too. Pretty much integrates your smart phone into the car.

At different times, you'd want those features.

When it's hot out the ac seats rock as do the retracting shades. When it's freezing the heated steering wheel and seats are great. The sensors are great for parallel parking and driving in busy city traffic. It also has the back up camera with reticle for good curb alignment and to how close you are to the other car.

The navigation package is great for the obvious. When you don't know where you're going. While on the expressway it tells you where the next gas station, atm, hotel or restaurant are at and shows the next 3 exits and what they have for businesses. You have to tell it to display them. For example you see a Dunking Donuts logo when you're getting close to one. The thing I like the most is the voice sounds like a real person not robot like. It's got a nice CALM women's voice.

The mobile reads your text messages and you can dictate messages too. Pretty much integrates your smart phone into the car.

To each his own. I really like my back-up camera. But with temperatures here fluctuating between high 50s and high 70s I probably don't need the heated seats.

I see that all the time; bicycles too. It amazes me that more riders aren't injured or worse.

Reactions: Kee
To each his own. I really like my back-up camera. But with temperatures here fluctuating between high 50s and high 70s I probably don't need the heated seats.

It's different level of appreciation when you scrape the car off, then get in at 15F temps. It's a luxury though. My son complains as to why his seat isn't heated in the back. - LOL

Reactions: Kee
It's different level of appreciation when you scrape the car off, then get in at 15F temps. It's a luxury though. My son complains as to why his seat isn't heated in the back. - LOL

Sounds like you need an Audi....A7 to be exact. :mug:

All that $$$ and the rear seats aren't heated?
My Durango R/T warms four seats worth of butts - especially after being pre-heated via the remote start (love that).
Fills up a rear view mirror pretty good, too ;)
durango_09_sm.jpg

Cheers!

My Durango R/T warms four seats worth of butts - especially after being pre-heated via the remote start (love that).
View attachment 396984

Cheers!

To be honest, I really don't know. I never sat in the back seat. My kid still sits in a toddler chair. If they were heated I don't think he'd know.

My guess is no. They have two adjustment knobs, left and right. I assume it's driver and front passenger.

What cools your seat?

Spilled beer. Seriously, I love my rust buckets. I have enough things to worry about without washing and waxing and primping and preening a new car. My personality could not handle the first scratch. If it gets me from here to there and back, I'm good. If it doesn't, I find another.

I clean the interior annually (rain takes care of the exterior) with a garden and air hose. Maybe semi annually... I'm not fussy. I've never owned a new car and I think at this point in my life, I may never.

Spilled beer. Seriously, I love my rust buckets. I have enough things to worry about without washing and waxing and primping and preening a new car. My personality could not handle the first scratch. If it gets me from here to there and back, I'm good. If it doesn't, I find another.

I clean the interior annually (rain takes care of the exterior) with a garden and air hose. Maybe semi annually... I'm not fussy. I've never owned a new car and I think at this point in my life, I may never.

Yep. I can think of a lot of things to do with 70k. Buying an automobile is not one of them.

maybe if I won the lottery, I'd get me one of those Infinity crossover vehicles, but until then, I'm happy with my 2012 Focus

the only real advancements it has over my older buckets, besides the automatic headlights, are Bluetooth & a USB port. love the hands-free phone capability (gotta drive in MD once a week), love that it will read instant messages to me. first IM it read was from the BigHair complaining about people. I laughed so hard and almost wrecked when I heard "****ers!" coming from my car's voice. I can also play podcasts from my phone or listen to the BrewCasters via the Brewing Network app

can use my phone for maps, or the BigHair's Garmin GPS when driving in her car (2011 Corolla, which has Bluetooth, but cannot get BOTH the phone AND the audio to work at the same time. one, or the other, but not both). so I don't need navigation system

I can plug in the USB thumb drive with my entire music collection on it, listen to all my tunes in the car

heated seats I can do without. don't need lane assist or collision avoidance

backup camera would be cool. next up, tho, is a dash cam. surely would like to post some videos of idiot drivers in the DC metro area. something that would be ON TOPIC in this thread

That's one of two vehicles I'm looking at. Need a vehicle because after the divorce, I'm guessing that a 2dr Jeep Wrangler isn't going to cut it as a family car. Especially with three kids and a girlfriend, because we cannot go anyplace in my car. And plans to get a dog at some point too...

So I'm looking at the Ford Flex and the Dodge Durango R/T.

I can get a Flex SEL with low miles in the mid-20s. While it isn't on par with the Durango for HP, I like the vehicle. I think it's got really distinctive styling and doesn't need the big engine. I might try to look at a Flex Limited with AWD and the EcoBoost engine if I can find one with the right color/options, which pushes it up to high-20s.

The Durango in my opinion is much more "blend-in" styling, which is why I really only want one if I can get the big honking V8. And the R/T, which is a little lower to the ground. But I can't find them for less than the low-mid 30s, which starts getting really pricey. And I am limited to 2014+ as that was when they put the better 8-speed transmission in there which I understand was a big improvement in both driveability and acceleration while *improving* gas mileage, despite no HP change.

Your thoughts? I'm guessing if you bought a Durango you were looking for a people-mover. Did you consider the Flex, and if so, why did you end up with the Durango instead?

[...]Your thoughts? I'm guessing if you bought a Durango you were looking for a people-mover. Did you consider the Flex, and if so, why did you end up with the Durango instead?

I traded in a well-liked 2005 Durango Limited on the 2017 R/T.
I drag boats and trailers up into the White Mountains and the '05 handled it with ease, compared to the Pathfinder that truck replaced.
With the kids and grandkids I need at least 6 seats plus some space for stuff.
Both Durangos have been great for that, too.

So, I never really considered anything else, tbh.

Gotta say the R/T is hella fun. It's like flying a spaceship - with more power than needed ;)

Cheers!

There are radio stations that cut out important stuff - like guitar solos. I'm sure some radio executive dips**t did some focus groups and figured out that X% of listeners change the station when the solo comes on, so off they go. Sweet Child o' Mine? Sorry, Slash, you're out. Love in an Elevator? You're gone, Joe.

In some parts of the country you can buy a house for 70K.

We were at the lot looking at vehicles and pointing out what costs more than what we live in.

They did have a very nice Titan with a surprisingly low price. Still more than I'd pay for a bunch of truck I don't need.

Bought a lightly used Frontier Desert Runner for nearly 10G less than new.

There are radio stations that cut out important stuff - like guitar solos. I'm sure some radio executive dips**t did some focus groups and figured out that X% of listeners change the station when the solo comes on, so off they go. Sweet Child o' Mine? Sorry, Slash, you're out. Love in an Elevator? You're gone, Joe.

I've had it with music radio. It's mostly commercials and shtick talk shows, and annoying "DJs" who yak over the music. This truck has a CD player, aux jack and USB port for MP3, and is Bluetooth ready. I can play the music I want, how I want. The radio has been on KERA more than anything now. If I'm going to listen talk, it may as well be news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back