This is a problem, but....how big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picture is the issue. Obviously I made a mistake, just want opinions on whether or not this batch is toast.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220313_134628.jpg
    20220313_134628.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
If I don't have plastic tubing that'll fit, to do a blowoff line, can I take out the airlock, clean, resanitize, and pop it back in? Cover the airlock w santized aluminum foil while I do it.

Just clean it out if you have nothing else. I'd sanitize it too while you are at it.

Plan for other ways to deal with future ferments. Maybe have more than one airlock on hand to swap out. Use a blow off tube instead for the first few days till after the really big bubbly phase is over. Or split your batches between two fermenters so you have more headspace. Though you may not have as big a kreausen with other batches for a time.

You can use a blow off tube for the entire ferment time. The bigger the ID of the tube, the less chance it'll climb up into the tube. Unless you have a very minimal headspace.

What others said above; when in doubt, always start with a blowoff setup. If nothing else, you now know that you have one hell of a fermentation going on! Happy yeast, happy beer!

You did good. I second (or third or whatever) the blowoff tube suggestion, but I've left nasty looking airlocks on for days without problems down the road if they weren't actually clogged.

Sometimes that happens. Not the end of the world. Clean the airlock sanitize it and put it back on there. Your beer will be fine. However, you need to figure out why this happened and adjust your practice to avoid reoccurring with future brews. Obviously not enough head space but why? Was fermentation temperature too warm, carboy too full, extra large starting gravity for fermenter etc. Under normal circumstances with above issues correct the krausen should not get that big thus this issue would not occur. Review what you did with this batch and adjust your procedure accordingly. RDWHAHB

Back