This crazy heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the heat wave throughout the country has been messing with peoples' brewing schedules. I for one am dependent upon ambient temps and this heat wave in Milwaukee is preventing me from brewing. It's so sad. I guess it's time to convince the better half that I need a temperature controlled fermenter.

I'm wondering if the heat wave throughout the country has been messing with peoples' brewing schedules. I for one am dependent upon ambient temps and this heat wave in Milwaukee is preventing me from brewing. It's so sad. I guess it's time to convince the better half that I need a temperature controlled fermenter.

I kind of need a freezer to ferment in. My house stays at around 80°F in the summer. However, compared to 110°F it feels nice inside.

For me it's brewing as usual.

I just got a propane burner, so i've been brewing at night. But my once temperature stable basement it's up to 74 degrees. So i've got all the family coolers down there with swamp coolers rigged. My basement door frame is too narrow for most freezers. I'll be excited for fall.

The dozen and a half trees and 250 feet of fence that I lost last year due to 100 mph winds has kept me from brewing.

Now that it is too hot to do yard work all day on my days off I am thinking about brewing.

I skipped out on some excellent Braves tickets to brew on a 105F day. I was in the shade, wort chilled to only 82 (wrapped in wet blankets to finish cooling). I have kids and work nights, so this was a rare day brew for me. 105F couldn't stop me.

Too hot to brew outside for me and when I brew, the house gets pretty hot but I'm doing it. Chilling my beer, even with a pre-chiller and regular chiller is even hard. I've had to let it sit in an extra bath of ice water then in a swamp cooler to get to pitching temps. However, fermentation has been very nice with the Cool-Brewing bag. I love that thing. My 78 degree house isn't too ferment friendly but this bag and 2 ice pack changes a day, keeps it at 61-65 depending on where I want it to be.

Bah it's just a little heat. I just start early around 8am, by 9am I'm so drunk I don't care about the heat. I ferment in a fridge with a temp controller year round anyways because it's Texas, it's 80 in January half the time. Biggest pita is chilling the wort, I let the fridge deal with that once I get it to about 95F with an IC and just sanitize well, haven't had an infection yet (knock on wood).

This is my 1st summer south of the Mason Dixon line. Man is it hot. Its so hot I saw the devil buying window ac units at walmart! Working on a prechiller to get to pitching temps faster. Brewing only at night now.

I'd have no problem brewing in the heat but it's the fermenting in it that has postponed my day. Even with a swamp cooler my pale ale which is currently dry hopping us sitting at 74 degrees. I couldn't imagine how hot a vigorous ferment would be. I guess I'll skip the English Brown for now and look into a saison.

Back