This crazy ferment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitack

Reaction score
So, fate aligned and just as I racked some Elderflower mead off my wife decided that we had a gallon of grape juice that she wanted to get rid of. An unfortunate incident between a toddler and a carpet, don't ask...

So, I have some yeasty slurry, and some very fermentable juice that was just opened and about to get dumped... EUREKA!!! 2/3 of the way through dumping my juice in it dawned on me that I campdened and sorbated my batch that this yeast (EC-1118) came from. Now, EC-"the beast"-1118 is some tough ****, but I was pretty sure that I didn't want to roll the dice that it was still viable. Warm up some of the remaining juice and tossed in some 71B. As I dump in the sachet of yeast I notice the juice steaming, so thinking I may have just killed all the yeast. I quickly dumped that into the must to lower the agregate temperature and save the yeast from a grape hot tub of death. At this point, not sure that any of that yeast was viable, I did ANOTHER sachet of 71B, at a proper warm but not hot temperature.

So, the current score is two sachets with enough yeast for ten gallons, plus the existing yeast that may still have been viable. The resulting fermentation is.... Vigorous! I'm guessing all three yeast additions were viable, because I have never seen fermentation like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubj87y7r3niw7e7/2016-04-10 17.15.04.mov?dl=0

It's been like that for three days non-stop. It's like a continuous stream of CO2 just flowing out of it. At that rate, it's gotta run out of sugar soon.

Latest posts

Back