This a decent idea for a RIMS type system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
So I got a pump and a plate chiller for christmas and I wanted to try keeping my immersion chiller to use for a HERMS type system.

I only have one kettle, I use a propane burner, and I have a large cooler for the mash tun. If I do what's in the image, I could recirculate my mash and maintain temperature while maintaining temperature and then mash out by raising the temperature and then fly sparge with the water in the kettle. Does that seem reasonable or would it not work well because I'm using a propane burner and would have to watch the temps myself rather than if I went electric?

Pump Setup.jpg

That's a HERMS not RIMS design. That said you should be fine here as a stepping stone. I did the same thing years ago.

I would check out my 50$ herms system link in my sig. I wouldnt use propane, it would be too hard without electrical vavles.

Oops yeah HERMS sorry, it's been awhile. Is there a way to edit the title?

I would check out my 50$ herms system link in my sig. I wouldnt use propane, it would be too hard without electrical vavles.

Thanks, I will check it out. And yeah that was my concern about maintaining temps with propane.

Back