Thinking about getting a new TV...opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was not 3D I would say go for it. But everyone I know hates their 3D tv. On the other hand have yo any idea how much beer stuff you could get... Sure hope you talked to your wife.

Are you just joking about a $40k TV?

I would never pay $40k on a TV. I can get a small house in the country here for that amount of cash. ;)

I love the Samsung Smart TVs. I don't like 3D TVs. I think they're a gimmick and I don't care to wear glasses while I watch TV. I got lasik to avoid glasses for that matter. For $8k you can get a nice Samsung Smart TV and lasik, if you're so included. :D

Go for it...that is a heck of a deal at $40K. :)

I do have a 3D TV, and am very pleased with it so far. I don't necessarily use the 3D viewing feature very often, but the overall picture quality in HD is amazing.

Man, is it living in Kansas that makes this seem like a good idea?

What do I know, I don't even have a tv.

Nope, not a good deal at all! I would rather buy this instead!

2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you actually read the reviews ha heres a couple

"after selling our daughter into slavery....

"I wasnt going to buy this TV but realized there was 2 free AA batteries with the remote"

Oh, I didn't realize it was that tv. This has been covered on yahoo.

I'll give the op a 1.5 on the troll scale.

Everyone should read the reviews, they are all hilarious! One person said they are glad it doesnt use too much energy as they are on a tight budget.

I had to post this one. Its the review about selling their daughter.

"My wife and I bought this after selling our daughter Amanda into white slavery. We actually got a refurbished. It's missing the remote, but oh well-- for $10K off, I can afford a universal, right? The picture is amazing. I've never seen the world with such clarity.

Amanda, if you're reading this, hang in there, honey! We'll see you in a year.

I just wanted to add an addendum to my review. Since posting it, we have received a flood of responses. People have said some pretty hurtful things--even questioning our values. Let me assure you, this was not an easy decision to make, and we made it as a family. Obviously, it's very personal. But in light of all the second-guessing, I wanted to explain our thinking.

First and foremost, screen size. I really think you can't go too big. 85" may seem huge, but you get used to it fast. Second, resolution. Is 4K overkill? Please, that's what they said about 1080P! More dots = better. Period. And as far as this being a $40,000 "dumb" TV, people need to re-read my initial post: WE BOUGHT IT REFURBISHED. It was only $30,000.

Some of you may think I'm avoiding the "elephant in the room"-the real reason why this was such a heart-wrenching choice. So let's just get it out there. Yes, the 120 Hz refresh rate is a disappointment, especially on a 4K. But life is full of compromises. And frankly, we hardly notice. All in all, no regrets.

P.S., as for our daughter, NO ONE has the right to question our parenting. Totally out of bounds. Amanda was going into 7th grade, so it was going to be a transitional year anyway. Now she gets to see the world. How many kids her age get to go to Bahrain? I sure as heck didn't, but you don't hear me screaming "child abuse." Bottom line: MYOB! Seriously.

Has it been a year already? Wow! I guess that's what 8 hours a day of immersive TV will do for you! Many of you have expressed your eagerness for an update. Well, here goes.

Generally, the Samsung has held up beautifully. We have noticed a little bit of lag, mostly in multi-player gaming--but not enough to cost us any firefights. There have been some issues up-imaging low rez content, but that's to be expected when you early-adopt--we're still "waiting on the world to change," as John Mayer would say (gosh he's talented.) On the plus side, we feel like we are now officially part of the cast of GOT. The other night Peg almost had to open a window to let Daenerys' dragons fly out!

And you'll all be happy to know our darling Amanda is back with us, safe and sound. She has changed a little. She's less talkative than before (though she had some choice words for me when I asked her to clean her room). And she's started wearing eye make-up, which has Peg a bit concerned. But welcome to thirteen, I guess. We're just glad to have her home. And she loves the TV. That's the main thing. In fact, she spends so much time in front of it lately, you'd swear she owns it."

Ha! Nice

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

4,314 of 4,419 people found the following review helpful
Very satisfied
By James Thach on November 25, 2013
My wife and I bought this after selling our daughter Amanda into white slavery. We actually got a refurbished. It's missing the remote, but oh well-- for $10K off, I can afford a universal, right? The picture is amazing. I've never seen the world with such clarity.

Amanda, if you're reading this, hang in there, honey! We'll see you in a year.

I just wanted to add an addendum to my review. Since posting it, we have received a flood of responses. People have said some pretty hurtful things--even questioning our values. Let me assure you, this was not an easy decision to make, and we made it as a family. Obviously, it's very personal. But in light of all the second-guessing, I wanted to explain our thinking.

First and foremost, screen size. I really think you can't go too big. 85" may seem huge, but you get used to it fast. Second, resolution. Is 4K overkill? Please, that's what they said about 1080P! More dots = better. Period. And as far as this being a $40,000 "dumb" TV, people need to re-read my initial post: WE BOUGHT IT REFURBISHED. It was only $30,000.

Some of you may think I'm avoiding the "elephant in the room"-the real reason why this was such a heart-wrenching choice. So let's just get it out there. Yes, the 120 Hz refresh rate is a disappointment, especially on a 4K. But life is full of compromises. And frankly, we hardly notice. All in all, no regrets.

P.S., as for our daughter, NO ONE has the right to question our parenting. Totally out of bounds. Amanda was going into 7th grade, so it was going to be a transitional year anyway. Now she gets to see the world. How many kids her age get to go to Bahrain? I sure as heck didn't, but you don't hear me screaming "child abuse." Bottom line: MYOB! Seriously.Read more ›
116 Comments Was this review helpful to you?
Yes

No
910 of 971 people found the following review helpful
Did you see it comes with FREE Batteries?
By Cheryl A. Gustafson on December 1, 2013
At first I hesitated to make the purchase, but then I saw the two AA batteries were free with the remote, and I was all in! Having this really fills in that empty space we called a bathroom!
2 Comments Was this review helpful to you?
Yes

No
153 of 162 people found the following review helpful
Back from the future...
By B. Anderson on December 4, 2013
I am coming back from the future to write this review, and to let everyone know you can buy this TV for $699 in 2015. It still looks great though.
Comment Was this review helpful to you?
Yes

No
140 of 150 people found the following review helpful
Fantastic!
By Nick on December 4, 2013
I purchased this for my Atari 2600 and wow did it make a difference! Also, I am very thankful that it has low energy costs as I am on a very tight budget.
1 Comment Was this review helpful to you?
Yes

No
371 of 407 people found the following review helpful
Best poolside model yet
By Robert L Jones Jr on December 3, 2013
It fits perfectly into the arms of the T-Rex fossil I just brought home from China. It's like YOU KNEW, Samsung. Thank you.
Yes

No
446 of 492 people found the following review helpful
So sad
By Jon S on December 3, 2013
It makes those abused animal commercials with the sarah mclachlan music playing so much sadder when the one-eyed pug is 4 feet tall.
Yes

No
79 of 83 people found the following review helpful
Watch the recycling man cry
By R. M. Handel on December 4, 2013
I bought it just to watch the garbage man struggle pitifully as he attempted to fit the box into the back of his recycling truck. Worth it.
Yes

No
320 of 360 people found the following review helpful
It was all worth it
By greg on December 4, 2013
I was going to send my two kids to college but I knew I had to do what was best for my family so I got this beast instead. I'm fairly positive my wife will end up coming back, I'm sure she'll realize how unreasonable she was being. Marriage for 20 years or a tv thats 85 inches? Last time I checked, 85 is bigger than 20.
Yes

No
See all 411 customer reviews (newest first)

I heard the story of the funny reviews yesterday and got a good laugh. They're not as funny as the Veet for Men reviews from the UK Amazon that Botlebomber posted some time back though.

It turns out Amazon has a little section highlighting funny reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001250201

I thought the reviews on the book about avoiding large ships were really funny.

Back