Think this equation makes sense?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sreidy12

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Fruit pLambic and trying to figure out how to determine the abv of the final product. I'm thinking something like this:

OG=Postboil gravity
SG1=Gravity before racking to secondary
SG2=Gravity after mixing in fruit puree to secondary
FG=Gravity once fermentation has finished

( ( ( OG-SP1)/7.5) + ( (SG2-FG)/7.5) ) )/7.5

So basically I'm finding the ABV of the intial beer and adding it to the results from the secondary fermentation. Does this seem logical to anyone else?

It's all greek to me, or actually it looks sort of "alien" . . . . . . . but then I'm more of a hands on guy when it comes to brewing, The computer does all my cumputing.

Brew on my friends:mug:

I don't think you need to divide by 7.5 the very last time. The way I see it,

Alcohol Content = Primary + Secondary

Primary = (OG-SG1)/7.5
Secondary = (SG2-FG)/7.5,

assuming that OG, SG1, SG2, and FG are in points (50 points, not 1.050 SG, for example).

Yea good point, Idk why I decided to divide the whole equation by 7.5. Think I need to incorporate volume because of the addition of raspberries? If so how would that figure in?

Nope - the only thing that matters are the total number of points of sugar dissolved homogeneously in your wort/beer.

You may have an easier time just calculating the amount of sugar added from the berries since there may be mixing issues. According to this source ( http://hbd.org/brewery/library/SugAcid.html ) raspberries are 7% sugar by weight, so you can do (OG + 0.07*lbs berries*40/volume - FG)/7.5

I don't know what ppg fructose actually is so I guessed 40ppg, at 7% by weight it won't make much difference.

Good point, plus that'll let me avoid stirring the raspberries and aerating the wort. Looks like it'll raise the ABV about .7%. This sound right assuming the volume is 4 gallons?

I'd use (OG + (SG2 - SG1) - FG) * 131
Without the addition, (OG - FG) * 131 gives a very good estimate.
With the addition, you just increase the OG by the points added by the addition.

-a.

Back