think i may have killed my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsmitty

Reaction score
ok so i was trying to rehydrate my yeast today (us05) i boiled some water and let it cool down. it got to cool before i was able to add the yeast so i went ahead and dumped the yeast in and put it on the stove to raise the temp a tad. i ran to the bathroom real quick and came back. the water got TOO hot!! it was like 140 degrees! so im thinking i may have killed the yeast. i pitched it anyways just to see since it's the only yeast i have. if i dont notice any activity tomorrow is it ok the add more yeast?? is the wort still ok a day or two after brewing?? i may have to go get some yeast which is a 45 minute drive so im not sure exactly when ill get to go. will the wort be ok for a day or two?

At 140 you probably killed it, but there is always a chance. I would make the drive and get more yeast, and maybe a couple of extras to keep in the fridge for future mishaps. Questions: what temp are you fermenting at and what kind of vessel (bucket, carboy)? Airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation, but if you are using a bucket open it once a day to look for krausen. If there is no fermentation starting by day 3/4, repitch more yeast. As long as your sanitation was good then you won't have any infection problems.

ok so i pitched the yeast already. i have the wort in a plastic carboy at room temp right now (around 76) i normally leave it at room temp for at least 12 hours after pitching to let the fermentation kick in good then move to swamp cooler for lower temp for the remainder of the fermentation. should i leave the wort at room temp until i get more yeast to pitch? if i ordered yeast online and got it here within 3 days would the wort still be ok to pitch yeast into?

ok so i pitched the yeast already. i have the wort in a plastic carboy at room temp right now (around 76) i normally leave it at room temp for at least 12 hours after pitching to let the fermentation kick in good then move to swamp cooler for lower temp for the remainder of the fermentation. should i leave the wort at room temp until i get more yeast to pitch? if i ordered yeast online and got it here within 3 days would the wort still be ok to pitch yeast into?

I personally never pitch that high, I always get my wort down to at least 65 before I pitch. The idea is that yeast starts making off flavors almost immediately after starting at too high of temps, and it could take a day to drop the wort temp by more than 10 degrees when fermentation is making its own heat. I would put it in your swamp cooler and get it to the mid to lower 60's asap. Go ahead and order the yeast and keep an eye on it. If no krausen by the time new yeast gets there then pitch more. Good luck, keep calm and brew on!

alright man thanks for the input. i think ill be good. i just text a buddy of mine and he said he has some wyeast i can get tomorrow evening. so ill probly go ahead and get the carboy in the swamp cooler and then pitch the yeast tomorrow evening

Back