Think I can get away with my 32,000BTU burner and a 15G Boilermaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Won a 10G Boilermaker recently for BOS in a comp, and I paid a bit extra to upgrade to 15G (to give myself some room for the future.) However, the $100 or so I paid to upgrade means there's no cash left for a new burner in the short term.

At the moment I've got a little 32,000 5PSI unit (this one here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbu...er-with-10-qt-Pot-MB10/202570544#.UcPJKmRER9Q) that does a fine job with my 8 gallon aluminum kettle. Considering wort will hit the kettle at 170f+, are my chances of hitting a reasonable boil and keeping it there good? I know a lot of folks like the KAB6, which is about $140 shipped here in Canada (a good price for sure), but it's a) $140 that's not in the budget, and b) it sounds like a massive propane hog that needs some modifications to be relatively efficient.

Thoughts?

If you were doing 5 gallon batches before without issues, the same batch size shouldn't be much of an issue in the bigger pot. Otoh, 32Kbtu is on the slim side of optimal if you're going to jump up to 10 gallon batches. You may be doing some waiting on the boil.

As for the 10" banjo burners ala KAB6, Blichmanns and the like, max capability does not equate to gas hog. Just because you can buy a burner with a 30psi regulator producing 250Kbtu wide open doesn't mean you'll ever run it even close to the maximum. My Blichmanns came with just 10psi regulators but I've never had them above roughly half the max flow rate...

Cheers!

Unfortunately it looks like I might be out of luck -- I can't manage more than a piddly half hearted boil on 7.5G with the burner at full blast and the lid off. Darn :/

What are everyone's recommendations? Drop the serious money on the KAB6, or try and find a SQ14 somewhere in Canada (knowing they're nearly $100 here)

Back