Things to always check before starting your brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Ran into one today that I normally check every time but my head was somewhere else this morning and I forgot to do.

Sparging off a batch of Hefe and suddenly halfway through my pump runs dry, that is when I take a look at the sight glass on the side of my liquor tank and realize it was dry:eek:

Currently waiting for 2bbl of water to heat up on an electric element...gonna be a bit longer day than I wanted.

So that being said, list your every brew day check items and how you discovered it was an important step in the process.

1.) Perhaps most obviously, make sure you have adequate amounts of all of your ingredients. It sucks to get halfway through your boil and realize you don't have enough hops/Irish moss/yeast/whatever.

2.) Somewhat related, make sure you have enough non-ingredient supplies (cleaner, sanitizer, propane, carboy/bucket, time, etc.).

3.) Make sure all your valves are closed.

1.) Perhaps most obviously, make sure you have adequate amounts of all of your ingredients. It sucks to get halfway through your boil and realize you don't have enough hops/Irish moss/yeast/whatever.

2.) Somewhat related, make sure you have enough non-ingredient supplies (cleaner, sanitizer, propane, carboy/bucket, time, etc.).

I actually ran into the valve thing on my second batch at work, didn't cost me much wort but it was a definite addition to the checklist for every time I start any process.

I love #3! ha ha ha....

Make sure you have a working temp probe!
Yeast is out of the fridge.
kit has ALL ingredients that is listed on the instructions

Beer on hand is a must!

Cheers
Jay

I have a check off list next to my brewstand with things to do just before and just after I light my strikewater burner. Most are there because I learned the hard way. One us to treat my water before I heat it and draw off a gallon to set aside in case I overshoot my mash temp and need to cool more than stirring will provide. One is to check around the stand for things that will burn or melt. One is to double check my mash volume to make sure it will be high enough to cover the mash tun thermometer.

Yeah, gotta be the valves. I've come close a couple times, but I obsessively check every time I'm about to transfer hot liquid.

Make sure you have enough propane! Nothing is worse that running out of propane midway through your boil and having to run up to the store to get a refill.

Back