Things that make you go HHHHMMMMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooldood

Reaction score
Add your quirky thoughts about HB you find hard to understand like:

If beer in a clear bottle goes skunky in just few minutes in sunlight
( I know some brands like it that way )

Why are most beer mugs/glasses clear glass?

It takes more than a few minutes to skunk up some beer....but I don't mind clear glasses. Even if it did skunk in minutes...its rarely in the glass that long. Plus, most of the dive bars around here are pretty dark!! :drunk:

Add your quirky thoughts about HB you find hard to understand like:

If beer in a clear bottle goes skunky in just few minutes in sunlight
( I know some brands like it that way )

Why are most beer mugs/glasses clear glass?

How could you enjoy the full beauty of a beer in anything but a clear glass?

Hammy71 said:
It takes more than a few minutes to skunk up some beer....but I don't mind clear glasses. Even if it did skunk in minutes...its rarely in the glass that long. Plus, most of the dive bars around here are pretty dark!! :drunk:

Of course, some super hoppy IPAs and IIPAs on a bright summer day will skunk in just minutes...I had this happen to a pint of DFH 90-minute IPA last summer while having lunch on a rooftop restaurant in the middle of the day. This is the only time this has happened to me and conditions (beer type, location, time of year, time of day) were all properly aligned for this to happen.

Generally, I'm not concerned about it.

My favorite local nano serves a couple of excellent IPAs and will let people know not to stand in the sun with them- it's hot and sunny here most every day, and will suggest either drinking them first in a flight, or waiting for their pours until they're ready to drink. I have definitely left an IPA outside on brewday and come back to a skunky beer.

The time beer spends in a bottle is measured in weeks or months while beer in a glass has its time measured in minutes.

You guys are confused. That was just an example. Here is another
When I am driving my car and use the window lock button. Why does it lock my window buttons. I think the idea is to stop kids or hostages from being able to use the windows. i would think it would just lock their buttons not mine.

You guys are confused. That was just an example. Here is another
When I am driving my car and use the window lock button. Why does it lock my window buttons. I think the idea is to stop kids or hostages from being able to use the windows. i would think it would just lock their buttons not mine.

Your OP said things about HB. Unless you're drinking your homebrew in your car and need to roll the window down to dump it out of your amber glass when you get pulled over, I fail to see the relevance. ;)

The propensity of my keg to kick is exponentially proportional to my desire to continue drinking it.

ALWAYS! If I have one I'm not particularly fond of, even if I make a point to drink it to get it out of the way, it lasts longer than the others. I think there are beer nargles in my fridge.

ALWAYS! If I have one I'm not particularly fond of, even if I make a point to drink it to get it out of the way, it lasts longer than the others. I think there are beer nargles in my fridge.

Yes! holy crap I still have several less-than-great bitters that just wont go away!

As an addendum, to the OT discussion about skunking, yes, hoppy beers most certainly WILL skunk in minutes. Experiment for yourself. Pour a hoppy beer into two glasses. Leave one completely shielded from the light, leave the other one completely exposed (on a sunny day).

This has been done, and the skunking happens in as little as 5 minutes.

Now, as an addendum to the ON Topic disucussion ;-) :
I've noticed that the day a beer is drinking its best. Is also the day the keg kicks.

Latest posts

Back