Things That Go BOOM In The Night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbrew

Reaction score
or... This Krausen's Gone Crazy!

or... My First Blow-Off Tube.

I've only made about 6 batches of beer before this one, and in the past I've had no problems using the little 3-piece plastic airlock on the primary bucket, filled with vodka. Yesterday I made a winter beer that included a lot more DME than I've used in the past, and 13oz of maple syrup, ending with an OG of 85, which is also a lot higher than I've done in the past. Everything went as well as can be expected, I pitched the Wyeast and put the primary in the guest bathtub with the shower curtain drawn. When I went to bed, it was bubbling beautifully and I kind of wanted to curl up with it.

About 4am there was some huge BOOM in our house. It woke us both up and my wife said "I've been hearing hissing noises for a while, I figured it was the beer but didn't want to wake you up." I'm so glad I had the shower curtain pulled, because it was a wortpocalypse in there. The lid had flown completely off the bucket and was upside down at the other end of the bathtub. The shower walls and ceiling were covered in krausen and hop bits. I cleaned up, washed the lid and airlock, then set it on top of the bucket without snapping it down so there would be no more drama before the morning.

This morning the lid was lifted about 6 or 8 inches off the bucket, perched on a creepy column of krausen foam, listing badly to one side (insert port joke here). I cleaned everything up again, this time snapping down my lid and putting the airlock in with just enough pressure to hold it, hoping that if anything blew it would just be the airlock. Within about 10 minutes the airlock was full of brown krausen. I got on the computer and started googling. It sounds like I need a blow-off tube.

So for any other first-time explosion sufferers out there, I post my story, and my current solution, and you salty dogs can tell me if I've done this all wrong. I cut a 1" piece from an old racking cane, which happens to fit perfectly into the small black grommet in place of the airlock. To this bit of cane I attached my old siphon tubing, and put the downstream end of it in a growler half-full of sanitizing solution. I set that growler on the floor of the tub (to keep it lower than the lid). Now the gas is bubbling out through the blow-off tube and into the growler, and nothing can accidentally siphon back into the bucket.

After doing this I realized the siphon tube was about 40% too long... it left all sorts of bends and uphill climbs for any krausen that might be trying to flow through the tube. So I cut the tubing to make it just long enough to go straight from the lid downhill into the growler with no bends.

So far so good. It's bubbling like crazy and I'll just have to hope that no infection took hold. I'm a little worried that the rack cane might cause a bottleneck where junk could collect until it blows up again, but it's the same diameter as my 3-piece airlock, so I currently do not have a better solution (apart from getting a bigger hose and grommet, then drilling a bigger hole in the lid). In case it tries to blow the lid completely off again, I've loosely draped a clean towel around the lid edges so that it can still come off, but hopefully will keep the splatter to a minimum.

Yowza, glad it was in the tub, and now it seems like you were thinking ahead. I always use a blowoff tube to relieve pressure for big beers, but I don't worry about the Krausen much since I got fermcap-s: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fermcap-s-1-oz.html I highly recommend it, it'll keep even the craziest of fermentations from overwhelming the bucket.

Also, for now, did you see if your tubing will just fit in the hole? That's what I do, and it seems light a tight enough fit, especially since I switch back to an airlock when things slow down.

I've never had anything like that happen, but now you got me worried. Typically, where I store my bucket/carboy, if this were to happen, I'd have a huge mess.

Well, maybe worried is a little much, but I'll be giving it second thoughts in my next batch!

did you see if your tubing will just fit in the hole?

I did try to just put the siphon tube through the black grommet but the tube was too large to fit through. It was close, so maybe I should try again. I don't know what size it is, it just came with my first kit.

And for jpabian, I know what you mean, before it happened to me I kind of wondered what people were doing wrong, or how it was that I was getting away with nothing going wrong. I've been continuing to use the guest bath "just in case" and now I am so glad that I did. If this had been in a closet, or the carpeted den, I can't imagine what a pain it would have been. (I did almost put this batch in the den, after all, nothing has gone wrong in the past. I will never ever consider that again.)

I should have taken photos before cleaning up. Didn't think of it at 0400. In retrospect I was laughing at the fact that I've been a full-time 911 paramedic for 20 years, and all I could think was that this is one of the sloppiest scenes I've ever been on. :) I'm still finding little bits of hops and sludge stuck in incredibly inaccessible places.

That is insane. I've never had a fermentation that vicious. Certainly had some blow-off tubes fill with gunk, and one or two fermentations make it all the way down into the bucket of water. I usually just take a 1/2 inch tube (at least I think it's 1/2 inch....not totally sure) and run it straight into the rubber stopper. Pop the stopper into the carboy or bucket lid and bam, all done.

OK, I went and tried a LOT harder to get the siphon tube through the grommet and it did finally work. To get it out again I had to pull really hard, so I guess I have to balance my concerns that the cane might be a choke point but at least it can slide out of the grommet if the pressure gets too extreme, whereas without the cane I eliminate one choke point but there is absolutely no way the tube will pop out if the pressure gets too high.

If anyone has any suggestions on which tactic might be better, I'm happy to take advice. I'm going to go look at youtube videos now and see what other people might have come up with.

I rigged up something similar. I cut the end off an old "S" type airlock & inserted into one end of a long 3/8" tube to fit the airlock grommet. The other end into a 1/2 gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a splash of starsan.

After looking at a bunch of youtube videos, it looks like the solution I ended up with might be as good as any other. It's nice to see other messes out there, but they usually do not do any follow-up on how the beer turned out after the disaster. I'm curious if any of you have had an explosion that took the lid off your primary, and if the beer turned out OK in the end, or if you lost it to infection, etc.

My wife had that happen to a batch of her summer shandy,cleaned it all up,resealed & it turned out fine. And it already had a blow off on it.

I rigged up something similar. I cut the end off an old "S" type airlock & inserted into one end of a long 3/8" tube to fit the airlock grommet. The other end into a 1/2 gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a splash of starsan.

This is what I had to do this week. 1.100+ russian imperial stout, had a bit more volume than planned in the carboy, and I came home to a sputtering mess, and krausen shot 7 ft high in the shower/tub combo up the walls and everywhere.

I cut the end off of the now clogged airlock, and put that in the bung and connected a hose to that and into a 32oz growler filled with sanitizer.

I didn't have anymore issues, it blew a bit of junk in the hose, but never clogged up again, and bubbles away like mad. Infact, it blows starsan bubbles so hard, it just foams over the mouth of the growler!

I have started using a blow off tube now that i had an airlock eject but I still had to warn my wife that if she hears popping in the middle of the night, she doesn't necessarily need to grab the revolver... its probably bottle bombs.

Back