Things I learned on first all grain batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeR

Reaction score
Well today was the first All grain brew I have ever done. Everything went according to plan, sort-of…
Since it was my first time I only did a 5 gal batch of a Scottish ale, this way if I really messed up, my cost of learning was minimal.

A few things I did learn
1. Measure the water going in to the Mash. I used to much (no sight glass, so I guessed)
2. Measure the Sparge Water, I used a bit to much.
3. Don’t forget the Irish Moss
4. Get the right Silicon Hose (i.d. was ok but the O.d. was to small) the hose would kink.
5. Zip ties burn at a lower temp than the hose… and smell bad.
6. Two pumps are needed.
7. Quick disconnects are needed.
8. Needle valves on each burner to control the propane better.

I ended up with about 6 gal of Wort in the Carboy. MMmm

Here are some pics of the HERMs at work.

Note the stands holding up the tubing...
5979-herms-setup.jpg

here you can see the flow coming out of the copper tube.
5978-herms-flow.jpg

5977-herms-setup.jpg

CR-

That is one fancy setup for a first time all grain! Lookin' good! :mug:

Thanks!!!!

if the info is there why not use it, this site and others are full of very good brewers, it would be a shame to not use the experiences they have. the rig was not hard, it was just finding the right pieces at a fair price.

Already looking fwd to my next batch.
why?
I got 5 corny kegs sitting empty!!!

CR-

Thanks!!!!

if the info is there why not use it, this site and others are full of very good brewers, it would be a shame to not use the experiences they have. the rig was not hard, it was just finding the right pieces at a fair price.

Already looking fwd to my next batch.
why?
I got 5 corny kegs sitting empty!!!

CR-

Indeed! You should brew tomorrow if you got the yeast ready!

If I were closer, I'd come help you brew to fill those cornys, but it's 1500 miles and it's the middle of winter, so you'll have to do it on your own. Congrats on your first all grain batch and on such a nice looking setup.

best thing i learned with my first all grain...Mash temps DO matter.

I have a similar setup, but I fly sparge and only use one pump, on my 5 th AG and doing well, but I found out as you will during your mash the SS kegs actually go up in temp after grain is added to tun and heat is off, so I found out that you need some way to move it away from the hot rack and banjo burner. I have been adding grains at 161f and getting 153 in mash and it holds for at least 70 minutes. But I have my setup indoors in my cave.

I'm curious why you need a second pump. I'm piecing together my setup now and was thinking of just using one pump with quick disconnects. Is it because you are fly sparging?

You did that for your first? Sigh. I'm two years in and my last brew day consisted of saw horses and stools. As will my next.

I attempted a stepped mash and fly sparge on my first. Huge mistake. My lessons learned are simple is best, and you can never have too many clamps.

The difference between my first and second was like discovering a new species. I dumped the rest of the first.

The next revelation was the water primer sticky.

I'm curious why you need a second pump. I'm piecing together my setup now and was thinking of just using one pump with quick disconnects. Is it because you are fly sparging?

I guess "NEED" is not right, i want another pump for ease of moving water and wort around.

No i dont need another Pump. I dont like moving hoses around. quick disconnects would help, but Eh.

WOW is all have to say!!!

The difference between extract and all grain is huge!!!!

when ever i used Extract or partial mash, all my beer had a very common minor base flavor, ya it would lean towards IPA, Blonde, Amber.. but this first All grain of a Sottish doesn't have it and it tastes awesome. i only know this as i transferred it to a secondary and pulled off a small taster.

On New Years Eve, i made my second batch, since all went well with the Scottich, i decided everyone want a nice Blonde on New Years Eve, Hence i made a New Years Eve Blonde Ale, its going to town in the carboys, BUT the price is what has me floored, a 10 gal batch only cost me $35!!!! and yes i remembered the Irish Moss this time.

Back