Thin Brew Kettle, Options for drilling/valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogwinters

Reaction score
I was just forced to order a new shorter kettle (to fit on the stove in my new apartment) the one I ended up getting is the economy 7.5 gallon stainless from midwest supplies, which was not eligible for their drilling service because it is too thin (.016" as per their website).

My question is this, do I have any options as far as drilling and installing a valve myself or am I stuck with pouring and a funnel?

I have seen a few threads on here about disasters with drilling thin kettles, and I would prefer not to wast $70

Thanks!:mug:

Use a Greenlee punch in whatever diameter you need. Nice clean hole w/ no burrs. The greenlee is $$$, but Harbor Freight carries them too.

I have used a metal hole saw to drill holes in everything from a keggle to cheap walmart-grade SS pots. I think with the really thin stuff the trick is to go really slow and lean the bit to one side then the other to ensure the whole hole is being engaged by the saw blade. Also, you can start with a hole that is a little smaller and widen it with files or little grinding stones.

Once I think I even made a hole from a bunch of 1/4" bit holes, a file, and half a day I can never get back.

Always better to have more patience than money (but if you can, choose both).

A step bit and slow drill speed works well on thin material.
Another good option would be to use a reamer.

I already have a hole saw that's the right size, if I use adequate lubrication and go slow do you think I'll be alright? I could grab a step bit if that would be better, but most punches I found are around double what id prefer to pay, broke college kid and what not.

I would go the step bit route myself. HarbourFreight has them for like $13-16 for a 2 or 3 piece set. Did mine and a buddies with no issue. Clean and simple. My $.02 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would go the step bit route myself. HarbourFreight has them for like $13-16 for a 2 or 3 piece set. Did mine and a buddies with no issue. Clean and simple. My $.02 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did my brew kettle with a step drill... worked great.

Unfortunately, I didn't think of Harbor Freight until after I spent forty bucks for a good one at Ace Hardware. That's half what I paid for the kettle.

Ah well, I just keep telling myself that money comes and goes, but guns and tools are forever.

They main problem I've had with a hole saw and thin metal is pushing the bit too hard and denting the metal.

If you go really slow I don't see any chance of hurting the pot, only when you go too fast do you risk snagging it and tearing the sidewall.

If you have access to an electric screwdriver you could use that. They don't have enough torque to rip the metal and can't go very fast either. Or if your drill has and adjustable clutch, turn it way down and that will protect the pot as well.

Step drill from harbor freight and some cutting oil. Use a punch to get where you want your center to be and use a small bit to start your hole and then use the step bit. Stop a couple times and pour cutting oil on the bit. Use a file to clean up the edges. I wouldn't worry about the thin metal.

So what I'm getting from all of this is take my time, drill a small pilot hole and either use a punch or drill a slow hole with a step bit and cutting oil.

Good to hear, the rep from Midwest supplies made it sound like there was no hope with this kettle. Probably won't get it till sometime next week, I'll update once it's here!

So what I'm getting from all of this is take my time, drill a small pilot hole and either use a punch or drill a slow hole with a step bit and cutting oil.

Good to hear, the rep from Midwest supplies made it sound like there was no hope with this kettle. Probably won't get it till sometime next week, I'll update once it's here!

Dunno why he would do that, unless he was hoping to sell you a more expensive pot.

Latest posts

Back