Thick foam created after transferring worth to fermentation bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epikuryan

Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday I brewed a Kern River Citra clone. After cooling the wort I transferred it to fermentation bucket (Pouring the wort from 1 metre, splashing it to wall of bucket to aerate well).
Splashing the wort caused too much foam at the bucket. Since I was going to pitch the dry yeast directly to wort, I thought it would be better to remove the foam in order yeast to be pitched to wort surface.
I collected and throw around 3-4 litre foam.

Did I throw the goodness which would create the head in my glass? I know I will see the results after 3-4 weeks but I wanted to collect knowledge about the content of the foam which was created during the transfer.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-15 at 09.52.21.jpeg

All you lost is a little bit of beer. No worries. I had the same issue on my last batch and decided to pitch onto the foam and it worked but seemed like a lazy fermentation. I doubt I will do it again. Next time consider making a yeast starter. The slurry will pour through the foam into the liquid wort.

There is actually an interesting technique of scimming the krausen off the top of a fermenting beer which supposedly makes a cleaner flavor. I don't know much more than that about it though. So if you can skim a krausen I see no reason why you can't skim the foam you got. It may change the beer, but that change may be desirable

I use foam control (e.g. Fermcap-S) in my boil to prevent boil-over and consequently I don't get any foam from the transfer.

I use foam control (e.g. Fermcap-S) in my boil to prevent boil-over and consequently I don't get any foam from the transfer.
Does that product remove head in the final beer? I looked it up and it looks pretty awesome

Edit: Never mind I found the answer to my question "FermCap S Foam Control does not affect the head on your finished beer. In fact, it can actually increase the head by retaining head-forming compounds that would have been blown off during fermentation."

For me it hasn't worked to prevent blow-off (it settles quickly) but it is great for preventing boil-over. Also helpful for reducing foam in the hydrometer tube.

Hello,
Yesterday I brewed a Kern River Citra clone. After cooling the wort I transferred it to fermentation bucket (Pouring the wort from 1 metre, splashing it to wall of bucket to aerate well).
Splashing the wort caused too much foam at the bucket. Since I was going to pitch the dry yeast directly to wort, I thought it would be better to remove the foam in order yeast to be pitched to wort surface.
I collected and throw around 3-4 litre foam.

Did I throw the goodness which would create the head in my glass? I know I will see the results after 3-4 weeks but I wanted to collect knowledge about the content of the foam which was created during the transfer.

View attachment 579486
This is exactly how you want to do it! I brew manually as well and i like that foam. It makes a perfect bed for the dry yeast. It helps slowly rehydrate the yeast before exposing it to the full liquid. I cant remember who the well known brewer was who discussed this, but i would suspect there is plenty of info suggesting this as a sound practice. In actuality it likely doesnt matter either way. So either way you are good to go. Todays dry yeasts (within expiration date, fresh better) are hearty and work very well. Best of luck and to answer your question nbd about throwing out foam.

To learn more about head production, check out brew professor dr. Bamforth. It will be a lot of info for you but if you are really wanting info on the subject there will be plenty to latch on to.

Back