Thermowell and probes - to grease or not to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
Do people just stick the probe in the thermowell or do they grease it? What's the best method? Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Context: I'm building a herms and want to semi-automate with temp controllers (pump for herms in particular). Same goes for fermentation controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I greased mine with a food-grade silicone grease (the same stuff I use to lube my keg-posts). Not sure if that's best practice or not, but it seems to work okay.

Edit: I use this method in my fermenter thermowell, so it's always at cool (32*F-68*F) temps. No idea how well this stuff would work at high temps.

I guess ideally I should be using some sort of thermal paste, but I don't have any, nor do I know where to get it.

Thanks! You reapply every time? Or is it a one and done scenario.

I just recently heard if people using a similar medium but don't find any threads or literature on if.

Do you remove the probe each time and just slide it back it? (That's what she said)

So lubing from the get-go has worked for ya. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Crane, what kind of sensor you using? I am going to rock the Ranco. I guess I could permanently mount it. How did you seal it into the thermowell? Some silicone I assume?

I appreciate the link, homie. Makes life a lot easier.

I am using the Auber ins RTD probes but I swapped out the RTD for a thermistor cause I switched to using the BCS. For a ranco sensor in a thermal well I would use thermal paste in the bottom of the thermal well and then use epoxy to seal up the end of the thermal well.

Thanks. I may permanently attach to the mash, and hope for the best with the HLT and bk. I want to run the whirlpool on the bk with the controler and hook a light to it (controller turning on light and pump simultaneously). This way I'll know when it's done chilling even if I'm not right next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic. I was quite disappointed in the fact that it wouldn't hold the correct temp as that is the beauty of a herms system. Ill chalk it up to working the kinks out though. Thank you my good man. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back