Thermoreactive paint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdburkhart

Reaction score
So here's what I want to do since I use 5l mini kegs (and I am a giant nerd):

I would love to be able to look at a mini keg and tell if its cold, much like a Coors(?) can. I see a few ways to do this, buy several of the stick on thermometers and cut down to range I want since I haven't been able to find the range I want.

Then I thought what would be really slick would be to use some sort of paint...I can't source anything in quick search and I was going to see if anyone out there has used anything like that...

The only thing I've seen is something like this that you add to paint. You might email them and ask them if they can get you some that will change at 40° instead of 86°

What you can do with thermo/hydro-responsive paints like this (especially white-to-clear ones) is paint a layer of color first and then the white color-changing paint on top.

The stuff on the temperature strips is liquid crystal. Might be cool to cut them up for all sorts of temperatures and mosaic them across the surface. Those strips are kind of expensive though.

Yeah, I saw the cost of the strips and thought that was kinda much for a goofy project.

I may email Pearl to see if they can do that as well as how far will 25g go...

Back