Thermometer broke during decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I had a protein rest at 124ish and pulled the decoction.

I removed my floating thermometer from the mash and was using that to check the temp in, and stir, the pot. So I saw I got my temp and pulled out the thermometer and the tip was gone. Some of the little metal balls came out, and I imagine some of the stuff holding it in the end of the glass. The primary thermometer part appeared intact.

I dumped my decoction, cleaned and rinsed my pot a couple of times. Now I am heating up an equivilant amount of water to add back to the tun and continue on like nothing happened.

But should i redo the protein rest? is it to late? Is just pressing on the best solution?

It is a belgian wit w/ torrified wheat and white wheat malt.

Thanks

You never know whats in those thermometers. I think the balls are lead. If you dumped your decoction, your gravities will be off. Basically you dumped the sugars that were in the decoction. I'd start over. Just my $0.02

Agree with djsethall, it's not worth taking a chance. For future reference consider upgrading from a floating glass thermometer. Besides the breakage concerns I wouldn't trust the accuracy for all grain brewing. A decent stainless steel probe digital unit isn't all that expensive and will solve those two glass version problems.

well, the tainted part got dumped. But I went ahead and pressed on with what was left. Corrected gravity with some extract. I probably lost a lot of character of what a wit is in losing the decoction. It was my first Wit, so I'll have another go in a few months, probably better in the summer anyhow.

I am defintely upgrading my thermometers. But that one was in my beginners equipment kit I got 15 years ago :( Sleep well, you have earned a rest:mug:

Back