ThermaPen question - noob here - first post!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

well_bucket_brews

Reaction score
im thinking about getting this thermometer because all the forums say this is the tool to buy.. but the probe doesnt look very long.. how do you use this correctly when steeping and boiling? just take the lid off and emerge the probe? will the steam cause moisture to collect in the electronics?

thanks!

Yep, the probe is about 5 or 6 inches long so you are somewhat limited to where you take temps in your HLT/MLT. But if everything is mixed up well I don’t typically find that to be a big deal. It reads almost instantly so I usually move it around in different spots to see if there is any stratification going on.

The entire Thermopen is water resistant so moisture isn’t really a problem. I’ve read about some people dropping it into their kettles and having no problems.

It’s a really useful tool, but I wouldn’t say it is absolutely necessary for brewing. Now if you frequently cook meat also it would be worthwhile to spend the money and use it for multitasking.

BTW welcome to HBT

Fwiw, the current model is termed "splash-proof".

I've had one for three years, bought for my smoker and grill and other foodie uses but it quickly found usage in brewing. I'm a big fan...

Cheers!

Thermoworks makes a 24" waterproof digital, I love mine. Not as nice (accurate?) as the pen, but good enough in my experience.

It's a great thermometer, accurate and fast. I own two and I use them in cooking also.

A few times a year, Thermoworks has an "open box sale" on demo/returned/reconditioned Thermapens with full warranty, etc. They are discounted about $20.

Taylor makes a self calibrating digital thermometer that is "waterprrof" for around $20. I was eyeing the Thermapen but the money was unwarranted.

I bought the Taylor one and it has been reliable for me. I also bought a cheapo $10 analog thermometer that I built a floatie for and set in my tun so at a glance I can see where the temp is and if it is shifting.

A thermapen would be awesome if money was no object but for a lot less you can get something that works well and put the saved money into other equipment or ingredients!

The ThermaPen is the best tool you can buy. It is 100% worth the money. I had one before I started brewing because there is no substitute in the kitchen. There is no other thermometer that is "instant-read" like the ThermaPen. Even the ones that call themselves "instant read" take several seconds to get a reading, and by then you've already lost all the heat from the oven.

So if you ever grill or cook meat, you should get yourself a ThermaPen regardless of its use for brewing. And I am a real "thrifty" (cheap, even) person.

My two cents.

The ThermaPen is the best tool you can buy. It is 100% worth the money. I had one before I started brewing because there is no substitute in the kitchen. There is no other thermometer that is "instant-read" like the ThermaPen. Even the ones that call themselves "instant read" take several seconds to get a reading, and by then you've already lost all the heat from the oven.

So if you ever grill or cook meat, you should get yourself a ThermaPen regardless of its use for brewing. And I am a real "thrifty" (cheap, even) person.

My two cents.

I wholeheartedly agree. I love my thermapen.

Latest posts

Back