There is going to be a shortage of good beer in California...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planker101

Reaction score
I live in a small town with limited beer selection. However, the Save Mart in town has good stuff because the girl who orders their beer is awesome. She always manages to talk distributors into getting her a case of something rare-ish.

Yesterday she told me she will no longer be able to do this because of some new ABC rule about not being able to order beer that is not approved by the corporate office. After talking to a buddy Bout this he said that BevMo told him something similar.

Does anyone know what new rule/law whatever this is and why it is in place? Seems obsurd that a business licensed to sell alcohol would be limited on what they are allowed to buy.

Maybe develop a taste for Bud Light Clamato. I'm sure the bigwigs will approve that. Seriously, the inability to get good beer and the the ridiculous price is part of the reason I homebrew.
So go hunt for a clone recipe of the beer Save Mart won't order anymore and brew it up. You might find your version is actually better than the original.

Of course you can brew clones, but I personally enjoy trying a wider variety than I have time to brew. Plus I like aging/ waterfalling commercial beers.

What I am really looking for though is what this new law/regulation/whatever is. I couldn't find it searching online.

perhaps it's like here in the Commonwealth, last year "re-interpreted" the law regarding bringing homebrew to a brewery.

seems we weren't rendering unto Cæser, so they made the homebrew clubs start paying for banquet licenses to hold meetings at breweries which don't sell their own food

Kudos to the lady ordering the beer!

Boo and hiss to the corporate fuddy duddy that won't let her anymore.

I can see what might have occured... Some customer called corporate wondering why other stores didn't have the 'rare' selections of the one store. In the ensuing investigation it was discovered the employee had gone 'rogue' and must be stopped!

Welcome to the corporate crazy train...

My suspicion would be this decision has more to do with their corporate structure and their relationship with distributors than it has to do with state law. Everyone needs somebody else to blame, and the state is a great scapegoat.

My suspicion would be this decision has more to do with their corporate structure and their relationship with distributors than it has to do with state law. Everyone needs somebody else to blame, and the state is a great scapegoat.

Pretty much this, not a law, but following corporate procedure. They probably get kickbacks/rebates from the "approved" items on the purchase list. I deal with this everyday in my profession. Just buying what you want in a corporate world is seen as "leakage", and is frowned upon.

Or those rare beers weren't turning much of a profit... Maybe she can go work for a mom & pop grocer and order the good beers?

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

My guess is the AbInbev and MillerCoors overlords pay for a certain amount of space and real estate in the cooler. She was probably cutting into their space and sales... a couple of complaints to corporate and beer selection is lessened.

Fun.

Back