The Venting Thread: Let It Out, Folks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing is full of joys, but also frustrations.
Thought we should have a thread to vent about those brew-related things that go wrong.
Photos are most welcome, of course.

Here's one to get us started:
A certain home-brew company—which I've had great experiences with—mailed me an end-of-life-cycle yeast pack. Even a 2L starter won't be big enough for my 7gal brew. Now it's going to be a 6gal.

Called them and they were v. helpful (offered to overnight a fresh one if my starter didn't take off), but still... :/

Ordered 35 lbs Bohemian Floor Malted Pisner (to qualify for free shipping), they emailed me and said they only had 15 lbs left and I said fine, send me that and 10 pounds craft pilsner x and 10 pounds of craft pilsner y and I can make 3 beers and compare. They combined all 3 malts in one bag. The beer still came out pretty good though.....
:cask:

Ordered 35 lbs Bohemian Floor Malted Pisner (to qualify for free shipping), they emailed me and said they only had 15 lbs left and I said fine, send me that and 10 pounds craft pilsner x and 10 pounds of craft pilsner y and I can make 3 beers and compare. They combined all 3 malts in one bag. The beer still came out pretty good though.....
:cask:

I placed an order online with a homebrew shop in the area so I could swing by and pick it up. The order was for about ten different grains all in pound increments because I buy in bulk and piece it out across recipes. I show up and sure enough they had combined everything into a single bag. The guy at the counter said usually if people don't want everything together they will add a note in the order. There isn't any indication that is necessary and if there isn't an option to choose to bag it separately it seems like you would ask. I refused to pay or pick up the order. He threw a fit about the cost of their error and then I redid the order myself to ensure the increments were all correct.

I try a second time ordering a several pounds of a couple grains and a full sack of another. It took two weeks of pestering them to fulfill the order and despite marking no milling on everything they milled one of the grains.

I don't shop there anymore which is unfortunate because instead of driving fifteen minutes it's a forty-five minute drive to pick up supplies at the next closest shop.

I placed an order online with a homebrew shop in the area so I could swing by and pick it up. The order was for about ten different grains all in pound increments because I buy in bulk and piece it out across recipes. I show up and sure enough they had combined everything into a single bag. The guy at the counter said usually if people don't want everything together they will add a note in the order. There isn't any indication that is necessary and if there isn't an option to choose to bag it separately it seems like you would ask. I refused to pay or pick up the order. He threw a fit about the cost of their error and then I redid the order myself to ensure the increments were all correct.

I try a second time ordering a several pounds of a couple grains and a full sack of another. It took two weeks of pestering them to fulfill the order and despite marking no milling on everything they milled one of the grains.

I don't shop there anymore which is unfortunate because instead of driving fifteen minutes it's a forty-five minute drive to pick up supplies at the next closest shop.
Look on the bright side. They'll likely be out of business soon with customer support like that. They're forcing you to switch to a different LHBS now, but saving you the hassle of doing it later after many more frustrating encounters. Move on, and be happy to be rid of the frustrations.

Right now the lack of things at the LHBS. I try to support them as much as possible but it's getting hard. I broke down and bought a bunch of grain online and from a place that offers 2 day shipping. My order has been sitting "In warehouse" for nearly 4 days.

Right now the lack of things at the LHBS. I try to support them as much as possible but it's getting hard. I broke down and bought a bunch of grain online and from a place that offers 2 day shipping. My order has been sitting "In warehouse" for nearly 4 days.

Yeah, there could be a whole forum on supply-chain blues, eh?

I think online retailers should list the Alpha Acid percent (AA%) of the hops they actually have ready to ship to you. I can't tell you how many times the AA % advertised is way off on what they sent me. Some have a range between like 11.0% to 13.0% advertised (as an example) but when you get 9.0% that isn't right. Just saying.......

John

I think online retailers should list the Alpha Acid percent (AA%) of the hops they actually have ready to ship to you. I can't tell you how many times the AA % advertised is way off on what they sent me. Some have a range between like 11.0% to 13.0% advertised (as an example) but when you get 9.0% that isn't right. Just saying.......

John

That, and the year of harvest. For all I know, they could be passing off 2018 hops.

Lookin' at you, Morebeer.

Brewing is full of joys, but also frustrations.
Thought we should have a thread to vent about those brew-related things that go wrong.
Photos are most welcome, of course.

Here's one to get us started:
A certain home-brew company—which I've had great experiences with—mailed me an end-of-life-cycle yeast pack. Even a 2L starter won't be big enough for my 7gal brew. Now it's going to be a 6gal.

Called them and they were v. helpful (offered to overnight a fresh one if my starter didn't take off), but still... :/
My vote would be the beef I have with Yakima Valley Hops. I have a subscription with them when ever quarter I get a box of various hops. The delays are unacceptable. They charged my card on September 15th and as of today, October 7, it is still unfulfilled. Last time, it took the 7 weeks to get the order in the mail. On top of that, they don't let you know that there is an expected delay of give reasons for the delays. They are also very unapologetic for their lack of customer service.

Geez a bunch Karens up here complaining about customer service... Just kidding that can be frustrating.

I'm frustrated that I only get to brew about 4 or 5 times a year. SWMBO and two small kids take up most of my "free" time. On the bright side, being the only beer drinker in the house means that I still usually have homebrew on hand. I would just like to have more experience and a more a solid pipeline.

Geez a bunch Karens up here complaining about customer service... Just kidding that can be frustrating.

I'm frustrated that I only get to brew about 4 or 5 times a year. SWMBO and two small kids take up most of my "free" time. On the bright side, being the only beer drinker in the house means that I still usually have homebrew on hand. I would just like to have more experience and a more a solid pipeline.
Love the motto!:D

Ha! But in a controlled and channeled environment :p
Yes, lots of customer service vents, so far (which is totally cool!). Also feel free to vent about stuck sparges, infections, equipment fails, in-laws who don't brew giving unsolicited brewing advice, and all. ;)

For those venting about supply chain issues, get ready for worse. I'm in the freight business (specifically ocean containers) and it is getting ridiculously stupid. The ports here are so full of empty containers we can't return the ones we have to get loaded ones; and the loads at the ports are so stacked up that I've had some containers at one port sitting there for over a month as they have no space by the cranes to get them out. The container ships are delayed weeks and weeks, so by the time they finally get here and unloaded, the ports will only load out the export containers going to China instead of the empties they need to load MORE stuff to come back here. Eventually it's going to come to a major standstill, with no loads coming from Asia because there's no empty containers to load their stuff into. I've been doing this for 14 years and have never seen anything like it.

For those venting about supply chain issues, get ready for worse. I'm in the freight business (specifically ocean containers) and it is getting ridiculously stupid. The ports here are so full of empty containers we can't return the ones we have to get loaded ones; and the loads at the ports are so stacked up that I've had some containers at one port sitting there for over a month as they have no space by the cranes to get them out. The container ships are delayed weeks and weeks, so by the time they finally get here and unloaded, the ports will only load out the export containers going to China instead of the empties they need to load MORE stuff to come back here. Eventually it's going to come to a major standstill, with no loads coming from Asia because there's no empty containers to load their stuff into. I've been doing this for 14 years and have never seen anything like it.
I echo this - At work we have product sitting in containers on several of the 70+ ships sitting outside the port of long beach/port of LA. crazy - had a beer at Riip out in seal beach and it looks like a parking lot. never have seen anything like this. were almost at a 4 month lead time to get new product at best estimates

The only attempt I made for a wheat beer...mother of god that was the most disgusting thing I ever had. I figured I'll save it and use it for drinking when I'm really popped and can't tell the difference...yup totally could tell.

Only beer I ever dumped.

It’s good to know when we’re beat! 😄

6 hour brew days. It sucks. I know, the process and all that, blah blah. I like to brew too i just want it to happen in a reasonable 3 hours, including cleaning. Man, those early days when i was making extract beer with a kettle and spoon were just fun.
I'll add to this. The early days of brewing before I started worrying about EVERYTHING were fun. When it was just - mix milled grains with hot water, mash at 150 something, boil for 60 or 90 minutes, chill to as cool as possible, shake carboy, pitch dry yeast, let go for 2 weeks, then keg. Drink the sh*t out that beer and brew the next. There wasn't any worrying about keeping the pipeline full, what to brew, oh, I just brewed that, so I need to make something else, I want to have variety, oh but what about this recipe? ... There was none of that. Brewing was fun, exciting, new. That's the problem - it was new - now it's something I've been doing for 13 years, it's not as fun and exciting anymore, yet, I OBSESS about it, and THAT is what is driving me crazy. It's almost all I think about anymore (I'm single, by the way, haha), and it just isn't as fun as it used to be. It doesn't have the mystique that it used to have. The mystique briefly returned back in 2016 when the whole low o2 thing popped up, but now it's gone again. I'm hoping for some magic to start again with the cold mash/non-enzymatic low abv thing, I'm starting to experiment with that. Guilt-free pints!

Here's my *****:

Both the major local homebrew suppliers in DFW have closed up. Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson closed and Texas Brewing is closing their storefront. The only LHBS is an hour away in West Fort Worth and while Chris is a great guy, his shop is long way from North Dallas. 😡

So I guess it's back to doing business online, paying freight, and dealing with the fallout when they botch my grainbill....

Leaking Corny Kegs...
Resulting in fast draining CO2 tanks resulting in flat beer. I double and triple check my kegs, keg lube my gaskets, but it only takes one small leak and phfffftttt.... empty CO2...
I now fully pressurize my kegs, disconnect the CO2, then reconnect as necessary when I use them.

Leaking Corny Kegs...
Resulting in fast draining CO2 tanks resulting in flat beer. I double and triple check my kegs, keg lube my gaskets, but it only takes one small leak and phfffftttt.... empty CO2...
I now fully pressurize my kegs, disconnect the CO2, then reconnect as necessary when I use them.

Yes, those leaks are SO deflating (no-pun intended)

It frustrates me that I don't actually have a LHBS. I'd gladly support one over online retailers, but our closest shop is 1 hour away and I can't justify 2 hours of my time plus $10+ in gas when MoreBeer has free shipping over $60 and I don't even have to leave town.

The only LHBS that is reasonably close doesn't carry liquid yeast and doesn't price 55 lb sacks at 55lb prices. It's a small store. So even though there's a craft brewery on the way there, I'm just not going to drive out there to get a few specialty grains.

Next nearest is a great full size store. It's two hours away though. It's a little off the main highway too but I will stop there if it's reasonably possible on the time schedule. I pulled my travel trailer into his lot once, he got a kick out of that. Was good, I threw the yeast in the fridge!

I really thought this was "venting" as in venting a fermenter or something like that.

However, if I can vent......

I just find it incredible about all the talk of pumpkin this and pumpkin spice that. Has the world gone pumpkin crazy? Maybe it's just the time of the year.

I actually like pumpkin. In pie and quick breads made with pumpkin. I even like pumpkin sliced up and roasted in the oven.

I just don't seem to understand ones desire to put it in beer. It's not high in fermentable sugars that I'm aware of. And what taste might it give to beer? Or is it strictly the 'spice' part that people want the flavor of in their beer? If so, then why add pumpkin?

Probably a lot of my revulsion for hearing about pumpkin spice stuff is that it's being advertised everywhere for stuff. If I or my wife get a pumpkin spice candle for a gift again this year, I think I'll go bonkers! :barf:

Any how, thanks giving me a place to vent. Though I probably went a little outside what you were going for.

Nor am I really bothered by those that like their pumpkin spice beer or anything else.

Note to self: send hotbeer pumpkin spice candle for christmas.

Another thing that frustrates me is when I slightly over-fill a keg, am certain the pressure in the keg isn't more than what I have my regulator set to, hook up gas to the keg, and it still flows back into my gas line anyway. Take gas line off, rinse, let dry a bit, and reconnect. Sigh...

Last edited:
Note to self: send hotbeer pumpkin spice candle for christmas.

Another thing that frustrates me is when I slightly over-fill a keg, am certain the pressure in the keg isn't more than what I have my regulator set to, hook up gas to the keg, and it still flows back into my gas line anyway. Take gas line off, rinse, let dry a bit, and reconnect. Sigh...

Just get one of these. I have them and they work great!
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...ll-Lock-Keg-Connectors/Disconnect-Check-Valve
John

This one has nothing to do w/brewing...but I'm going to throw it out here anyways cuzz it is super fresh in my mind having just "signed off" of work. Then I'll follow up with a HB one.

Deciding to do one last thing before you wrap up your work week because you figure it shouldn't be that tough, and shouldn't take that long. A couple hours later...and it has already been a ridiculously long week anyways...FFS

Was mentioned somewhere 👆 but when you start taking it too seriously and you start thinking that maybe it isn't worth the time, effort, etc. I need to crank it down a notch and make this fun again..

Back