The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
malweth said:
Let me FTFY:

So 387 IBUs is a theoretical number you'd never actually reach.

What's a triple IPA at 11% ABV but an American Barleywine anyway? I bet it'll age nicely...

I disagree, because the malt profiles are drastically different. I've brewed a 16% IPA that was well attenuated and still drank just like an IPA should. A Barleywine is malt forward, and IPA is not.

Barleywines do not have high drinkability as often as IIPAs do. That is another big distinction... how easy the beer drinks. I do think that when you start going for 11-16% IIPAs, you have a completely different beast than the typical 8-9%-er's we're used to. More of what they would call "Strong Ale".

In fact, all of these are different beasts of varying levels of intensity:

Extra IPA - 7.5% ish
Double IPA - 8-9.5%
Imperial IPA - 10-13%
Strong Ale - higher than 13%

Double IPA =IIPA.

Agree. The quotes below seem off to me:

Barleywines do not have high drinkability as often as IIPAs do. That is another big distinction... how easy the beer drinks. I do think that when you start going for 11-16% IIPAs, you have a completely different beast than the typical 8-9%-er's we're used to. More of what they would call "Strong Ale".

Extra IPA - 7.5% ish
Double IPA - 8-9.5%
Imperial IPA - 10-13%

As mentioned DIPA and IIPA are the same thing (and exist in and below the DIPA range you've given). Extra IPA doesn't really exist IMO. Per BJCP, barleywines are 8-12% (though I personally think that range could be extended past 12% in some cases - especially for American Barleywines).

I disagree, because the malt profiles are drastically different. I've brewed a 16% IPA that was well attenuated and still drank just like an IPA should. A Barleywine is malt forward, and IPA is not.

Well enough, but was it really an IPA? American Barleywine (not British, as you appear to be describing) can range from malty to bitter forward and hoppy. A fresh Bigfoot is a good example of an ABW that's bitter forward.

See http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style19.php#1c

Extra IPA - 7.5% ish
Double IPA - 8-9.5%
Imperial IPA - 10-13%

As noted, Double IPA=IIPA=Imperial IPA . According to BJCP, Strong Ale includes Old Ale (6%-9%+) and English and American Barleywine (8-12%+).

It tastes like beer....No **** I said I made beer it's almost as if they expect something nasty and disgusting.

malweth said:
Well enough, but was it really an IPA? American Barleywine (not British, as you appear to be describing) can range from malty to bitter forward and hoppy. A fresh Bigfoot is a good example of an ABW that's bitter forward.
It really was an IPA. The grain bill was 20 lbs 2-row, 8 ounces of C10, a crapload of sugar and a buncha hops. Bigfoot has a bunch of Munich and several pounds of specialty malts for a 5 gallon clone. Just being hop forward does not mean that BBW and my beer have anything in common besides both being hoppy. They certainly aren't the same style. This beer was light (1.00 measured FG) and highly drinkable. I do not consider drinkability to in any way synonymous with Barleywine.

image-2322858479.jpg

image-874914267.jpg

Fizzycist said:
^ Saw that coming.

I'm the guy enjoying the stupid beer comments, not the guy enjoying the esoteric argument on the vagaries of DIPA vs. IIPA vs. Barley Wine. I think that one is you.

I'm sorry if everything isn't exactly as you would like it. There was no arguing taking place, at most there was a disagreement. This thread goes dormant for weeks and months at a time, so if it is that important to you maybe go to the bar and strike up conversations with people about brewing and report back.

My boss tried to talk to me about the Guinness black lager a couple weeks ago, and he said that it tasted "Burnt, because they used those black hops in it". :drunk: I wasn't in the mood to disagree.

I'm sorry if everything isn't exactly as you would like it. There was no arguing taking place, at most there was a disagreement. This thread goes dormant for weeks and months at a time, so if it is that important to you maybe go to the bar and strike up conversations with people about brewing and report back.

My boss tried to talk to me about the Guinness black lager a couple weeks ago, and he said that it tasted "Burnt, because they used those black hops in it". :drunk: I wasn't in the mood to disagree.

Ah wow gotta love the general populace....

Were can I get these legendary black hops.

I guess for me was the RIS I made a few years ago, aged and then gave out as Christmas presents. I sent it to a competition and got several good remarks--though I can't remember the score. Everyone who drank it raved about how good it was--except one coworker. He drank half a glass and then threw it back up. I guess if that isn't a stupid statement about your beer, nothing is.

I recently gave a barrel aged golden sour to a local bar owner who was supposed to be a bit of a sour head. This particular beer is quite sour, on par with a geuze, but without as much complexity. Anyway, the sole comment I got out of this guy was that he thought it could be more sour, and it was too acidic... um... WOT?

I recently gave a barrel aged golden sour to a local bar owner who was supposed to be a bit of a sour head. This particular beer is quite sour, on par with a geuze, but without as much complexity. Anyway, the sole comment I got out of this guy was that he thought it could be more sour, and it was too acidic... um... WOT?

Hmm, I really like this burger with Point Reyes bleu cheese. It could use some more funk but it smells too much. :D

How would a Mormon know what alcohol tastes like, and why would anyone care what they think about beer?

Having spent way too much time stuck in the Bonneville Salt Flats area for work, I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

On that note, the coworkers I spent all of February with working there are Coors Light drinkers.... and ONLY Coors Light. They were complaining about the lower alcohol content, which is "not to exceed 3.2% by weight." I kept telling them that 3.2% by weight converts to 4% by volume, so they're only missing out on 0.5% abv from their normal beer but they kept complaining.... all while I was drinking a 4% abv "Session IPA" and missing out on 3% abv

It was especially funny to watch them get almost blackout drunk and be cripplingly hungover the next day because they think it's so weak that each one of them drinks between 18 and 24 cans.

Some mormons sin sometimes, I thought it was a stupid comment that others may find funny like I did

I know. I wasn't ripping on you in any way. I just thought it was weird that a Mormon commented on a beer, expecting anyone to care what they thought about it.

In related news: my Jewish friend criticized my bacon wrapped shrimp scampi the other day.

Back