The Official Modern Times League Of Partygoers & Elegant People Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like burritos?

• Yes but I'm anti adjuncts

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
August 2019 Preview Tasting

Assorted Notes:
1) In case you've been living under a rock and somehow missed all other mentions, the Festivals of Dankness will be taking place 08/24 in San Diego and 08/31 in Portland. The VIP tickets for San Diego sold out entirely to League members, marking the first time that's ever happened for one of MT's major festivals. Hopefully, the first of many times.

2) As Steven and Leanne had previously mentioned, there will be Midnight of the Monsters-style events centered around the MT Ultra beers. Details on tickets should be coming this week, but we were told that every location except North Park will be holding an event (even Encinitas) and that most of them will be on Labor Day weekend. I didn't catch which location will be a couple weeks later. Keep an eye on your inbox, you won't want to miss that one.

3) Tentbier will be returning next month, once again in 19.2oz cans. They've been happy with the response to the lager releases so far. As long as we continue to purchase them, we can expect to see frequent releases of a variety of crushable styles. There's also been some talk of creative packages for lagers - 12packs, 18packs, etc. - but all of that is still in the conceptual stage.

4) More importantly, there will be a canned batch of Foeder Ice coming later this year. Start making space in your refrigerator now. Throw out those years-old condiments you never use. Get used to buying fewer vegetables. Perhaps even kick out your roommate/significant other/children so that their food isn't taking up valuable real estate. I can think of no better use for fridge space than cans of Foeder Ice.

5) Steven also teased a new batch of Cloud Daggers for later in the year. He seemed to wait until everyone had stopped asking questions, then would drop a nugget like that to spur interaction. I think the takeaway here is to sit in complete silence and let the teasers roll in.

The Beers:
1) Lilliput
Style: Kolsch-style Ale
Score: 3.75
Notes: This was pretty much the ideal way to start a tasting on a warm Sunday afternoon - "just the job," as some might say. The aroma opens with a rich dose of honey, layered atop sweet, doughy biscuits. Pears and citrus follow while floral hops float around the background. The first sip reveals a far drier experience than the nose indicates. Crispy white bread gives way to lightly-candied lemon, herbal tea, hop-derived floral notes, and a faint grassy character. The discrepancy between the sweet aroma and dry flavor and body is a bit disconcerting but doesn't derail an otherwise quaffable crusher.

2) Star Projector: Tiki Edition
Style: Mega-Berliner w/ Pineapple, Orange, Coconut, & Nutmeg
Score: 3.25
Notes: For those who may not recognize the ingredients, this was inspired by the Painkiller, which - as Steven was all-too-eager to say repeatedly - is a trademarked name that belongs to Pusser's Rum. To pay tribute to what happens to be my favorite tiki drink - as well as a phenomenal Judas Priest song - they added 3 lbs/gallon pineapple and orange, 5 lbs/barrel coconut, and a touch of nutmeg to their 10% ABV mega-Berliner base. The nose opens with a quick hit of nutmeg before heavy coconut takes over, followed by juicy oranges and subtle pineapple. Not terribly acidic on the nose, thanks in large part to the heavy coconut. On the palate, pineapple and orange pulp hit first, followed by unsweetened coconut flesh and light nutmeg that never rises beyond a supporting role. A burst of acidity comes in on the finish, mingling with the pineapple and coconut to form a bit of a strange finish that lingers on the palate just a bit too long. The adjuncts don't come together in the intended fashion for me - I wouldn't call it bad, but it's disjointed and misses the mark. I'd love to try more cocktail-inspired sours - kettle or barrel-aged - but it would seem wise to tinker with them at a draft-only scale.

3) Deeds & Exploits Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Coffee & Vanilla
Style: Blend of BA Strong Ales w/ Vanilla & Bourbon-and-Vanilla Infused Coffee
Score: 3.5
Notes: The base blend is 60% Infinity Gauntlet aged in bourbon barrels for twelve months and 40% Cloud Daggers aged in bourbon barrels for seven months. They used 3 lbs/bbl Tega & Tula Farm Ethiopian coffee beans, which they conditioned with bourbon and vanilla for 24 hours before roasting. Vanilla was added at a rate of 1 lb/bbl, comprised of a blend of Madagascan, Mexican, Ugandan, Tahitian, and Papua New Guinean beans. The aroma opens with a somewhat-harsh wave of coffee grounds that yields to marshmallow, light brown sugar, sweet vanilla, bourbon, semisweet chocolate, ethanol, and faint oak character. The coffee rounds a bit as it warms, but retains an edge that's absent in most of Modern Times' coffee beers. The flavor mostly follows the nose, with bourbon-soaked coffee grounds out front, followed by marshmallow and sweet vanilla. Toffee, turbinado sugar, cocoa, and alcohol heat meld on the mid-palate, giving way to a thin, boozy finish. There's an underlying harshness that runs front to back on the palate that seems to be derived from the spirits-infusion process used on the coffee beans. It stands in sharp contrast to the level of refinement found in most of Modern Times' barrel-aged stouts, barleywines, and strong ales. By no means does it ruin the beer, but it's an unavoidable distraction that knocks the overall score down. For the sake of context, I scored it lower on Untappd than anyone else from the Sunday tasting, so perhaps I found the heat and harshness more offputting than most people.

4) Analog: Barrel-Aged Riesling Edition
Style: Saison/Wine Hybrid Aged in Red Wine Barrels
Score: 4.5
Notes: This batch is a blend of 70% saison and 30% riesling juice sourced from Lo-Fi Wines, co-fermented with house cultures, then racked to red wine barrels for six months. Unlike the last batch, this had no contact with the grape pomace, nor did it spend any time in an amphora. The riesling asserts itself on the nose with a bright melange of fruit leaping out of the glass - grapes, apricots, and pears dominate, while papaya and sweet lemon lurk - followed by oak, restrained vanilla, barnyard funk, and faint white pepper. Soft lactic adicity leads on the tongue, followed by vinous notes that transition into stonefruit with hints of pineapple and papaya poking through. Oak wafts around in the background along with vanilla and funk, giving way to an effervescent and lightly acidic finish of pears and vinous notes. While this edition lacks the minerality of the last release, it's no less enjoyable.

5) Analog: Red Cabernet Franc Edition
Style: Sour Red/Wine Hybrid Aged in Red Wine and Port Barrels
Score: 4.25
Notes: This version of analog is even more of a departure from prior editions, as it's a blend of 58% sour red ale and 42% Lo-Fi cabernet franc juice. It was aged on the grape skins for five days, co-fermented with house cultures, then racked to red wine and port barrels for six months. The smell on this was deftly balanced, with soft acidity, moderate funk, light vanilla, oak, barrel-derived port notes blending seamlessly with wine-derived plum, roasted pepper, and light tannins. If you're sensitive to acetic acid, have no fear - this isn't vinegar, it merely plays a supporting role in a rich and diverse tapestry of aromas. On the palate, acidity plays a slightly more prominent role, although it's still neither overly acetic nor harsh. The cab franc character shines through brilliantly as bright grapes, and plums mingle with a savory, peppery component. Oak and port notes assert themselves before a long finish of moderately acidic wine with touches of aged balsamic vinegar.

Agreed. Deeds & Exploits, in particular, seems polarizing thus far based on feedback elsewhere.

Right? I loved it. Maybe not my favorite even in just the past few months, but certainly worthy (to me) of a multiple bottle purchase. There is something unique about the coffee beers MT has been putting out. It used to be my favorite adjunct but lately my tastes have shifted a little.

Also, the beers have been so stellar in the past 18+ months that when you start comparing them against themselves, something's gotta finish on the 'bottom'.

September 2019 Preview Tasting

Assorted Notes:
1) It seems like using the patio for previews was pretty popular based on conversations after this evening's tasting. My only real issue was the smell of wort wafting around for the first part of the tasting. As much as I enjoy that aroma, it was a bit distracting while trying to pick apart the beers we were sampling. I suspect that was a bit of a freak thing since the wind usually blows in the opposite direction.

2) Derek commandeered the mic before we got started to reveal the dates for several upcoming events. All of these are in San Diego unless specifically noted:
10/30/19 - Pumpkin Carving/Halloween
11/03/19 - MT Dog Show
11/29/19 - Black House Black Friday (there's also likely to be a PDX version, but that's TBD)
12/15/19 - Christmas Party/Winter Market
12/26/19 - Hanukkah Party
02/01/20 - Carnival of Caffeination
04/25/20 - Festival of Funk
08/29/20 - Festival of Dankness SD
09/12/20 - Festival of Dankness PDX

3) We can expect a couple more single varietal ciders to come out this year, all aged in red wine barrels. They're also working on a more accessible cider that will start out as a draft beverage but could eventually be canned depending on customer response and resource availability.

4) Bubble Party Hard is coming soon on draft. Move over White Claw, Modern Times is comin' to getcha.

5) Someone asked if Modern Times has any plans to collaborate with Three Chiefs and Andrew implied that there's a distinct possibility for that in the next few months. If you're unfamiliar with Three Chiefs, think Horus but even smaller scale.

6) It sounds as though Tentbier 2019 is even better than the 2018 batch. I'm looking forward to verifying that next week, but in the meantime, get hype.

7) All three of this month's IPA releases sound great, but Andrew specifically mentioned Sky Party as one of his favorite hazy IPA releases to come out of Portland.

8) Nectarnomicon Raspberry Blast (made with raspberries, cranberries, and vanilla) will be coming soon. It sounds like it should be available on release day, but the logistics are still TBD.

9) This is the last online sale before Theory invites go out. As they've mentioned in the past, invites are based on spending (with October 2018 - December 2018 being added to this year's total), longevity as a member, event attendance, online forum participation, and general elegance. Off the record, I'd assume that showing up at Steven's apartment at 11pm on a Thursday night with steaks and pastry stouts will also boost your chances.

10) League members will be able to buy gift memberships for friends before League 2020 sales open to the public.

11) Rewards for 2018 tasting points will be announced at some point after this month's sale.

12) POS systems are tracking points at all locations. Points have not been retroactively uploaded to the new POS system but will be counted during the process of determining Theory invites.

13) If you haven't listened to Mgla's new album "Age of Excuse" yet, you should remedy that immediately. You might think you have no interest in nihilistic black metal, but I suspect you just haven't spent enough time with the genre. And yeah, this has nothing to do with Modern Times, but if I'm going to spend as much time as I do on these notes, I'm going to insert editorial comments from time to time.

Last edited:
Had to split the post in two as it exceeded the character limit for one post...

The Fermented Barley Juices (credit to Andrew for this fantastic new synonym for "beer"):
1) Radix: Single Varietal Wickson Cider - Batch 2
Style: Apple Cider
Score: 4
Notes: As with the original batch, this is made from 100% Wickson apple juice. However, this new iteration is a blend of cider aged in red wine barrels and cider aged in amphorae, with each type of vessel contributing roughly half of the final product. The aroma opens with big, bright apple juice followed by assertive barnyard funk - horse blanket, hay, and a chicken **** note that's a bit distracting compared to more pleasant forms of funk. Vanilla and oak are present but restrained, while minerality and faint winter spices waft around in the shadows. The palate opens with light acidity before apple juice takes over with tropical fruits mingling - think pineapple and touches of papaya. Moderate funk and minerality follow along with supporting oak notes, leading to a funky, juice-laden finish. An effervescent body that's suited ideally to the style. I didn't enjoy this quite as much as batch one, but anyone who enjoyed it should still be a fan of this.

2) Mega Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels w/ Pistachio & Coconut
Style: Bourbon BA Stout w/ Pistachio & Coconut
Score: 4.75 (4.65ish)
Notes: The base is a blend of Mega Devil's Teeth batches aged from eight to twelve months in bourbon barrels. On the adjunct front, they used roasted pistachios, along with a blend of both toasted and untoasted coconut - leaning towards the toasted end - that totaled such a massive amount that they had to add it to both their external recirculation vessel to fit all of it. That decision shows itself immediately, as rich, toasted coconut leaps out of the glass and dominates the first few whiffs of the glass. Lightly-roasted pistachio follows - a note which increases steadily as the beer warms - along with light touches of vanilla, bourbon, semisweet chocolate, and hints of marshmallow. As the various aromas weave together, it almost takes on a bourbon-tinged Almond Joy character. Certainly not a bad thing. Pistachio is more evident on the tongue as it hits first with hues of fat and rich, slightly sweet nuttiness, joined quickly by a huge wave of coconut. Bourbon and light oak pop hard on the mid-palate along with dark chocolate and subtle vanilla, melding into a coconut-driven finish with heavy doses of chocolate and barrel. The body is slightly heftier than regular Devil's Teeth but doesn't tread into the full-blown thickness of beers like Dragon Mask and Beastmaster. It's always a bit difficult to remember a two-year-old beer clearly, but I recall the original batch having a better balance between coconut and pistachio. As much as I enjoy what Modern Times does with coconut, I would've preferred this showcase pistachio just a bit more. That's definitely nitpicking though, and the way certain nut-driven beers have been received, I can understand a cautious touch.

3) Chaos Grid: Breakfast Lord
Style: Bourbon BA Pastry Stout w/ Coffee, Vanilla, Bourbon Barrel-Aged Maple Syrup, & Candy Cap Mushrooms
Notes: The base blend is comprised of one bourbon barrel of Dragon Mask aged for 20 months, one bourbon barrel of Oblivion Ring aged for nineteen months, three bourbon barrels of Suggestion of Mass aged for eleven months, two Kentucky whiskey barrels of Dragon Mask aged for twelve months, one bourbon barrel of Beastmaster aged for ten months, and one bourbon barrel of Monsters' Park aged for ten months. And a partridge in a pear tree. The complexity of the adjunct mix isn't far behind, as they added Madagascan vanilla, Mexican vanilla, Idea Machine coffee, bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup, and candy cap mushrooms. For those who haven't been exposed to candy caps yet, they smell and taste absurdly similar to maple syrup. Set aside your preconceived notions of what mushrooms would add toa beer, believe me. The nose opens with roasty, slightly acrid coffee, but maple syrup comes in quickly to smooth out the rough edges and provide a balancing sweetness. There's a faint mushroom-derived earthiness that dovetails nicely with the coffee, both as a complementary aroma and in preventing the maple syrup from running roughshod. A hefty dose of dry cocoa works its way to the forefront eventually, along with supporting vanilla, restrained bourbon notes, and touches of marshmallow. The flavor proves to be a bit more refined, as vanilla, maple, and sweet dark chocolate hit first. Smooth coffee - far more pleasant than on the nose - joins the fray, along with vanilla and a richer barrel character than the nose indicates. The constituent elements meld into a sort of boozy maple mocha finish that coats the palate on the way down. The body doesn't quite reach the viscosity of Dragon Mask or Beastmaster, but it's certainly not thin. I suspect that the coffee will recede a bit within a couple of months and leave the beer feeling more refined than it does now, but even in its current form, it's delicious.

4) Doom Hawk
Style: Pastry Stout w/ Vanilla & Coconut
Notes: Brewed in collaboration with Horus Aged Ales, Doom Hawk features a fairly absurd amount of specialty malts including Double-Roasted Crystal, Pale Chocolate, Golden Naked Oats, and many others. The boil ran for roughly twelve hours and, after fermentation, finished at approximately 19* Plato. For those of you who aren't familiar with the brewing process, your average IPA doesn't even have a _starting_ gravity that high, let alone finish with that much residual sugar. The finished product features five varieties of vanilla - Mexican, Madagascan, Ugandan, Tahitian, and Indonesian - along with 500 pounds of toasted coconut. Sweet vanilla leads the way on the aroma with touches of marshmallow, but the complex malt bill asserts itself quickly with notes of sweet dark chocolate, lightly-burnt caramel, toffee, and cake batter. Coconut wafts around and breaks through periodically, but mostly remains a supporting element. The palate opens with massive vanilla, but semisweet chocolate, deep caramel, and coconut quickly join the fray. Marshmallow, brownie batter, fudge, and dense macaroons all come to mind as various flavors dance across the palate, leaving a long, sweet finish. This is likely the thickest stout that Modern Times has produced - certifiably thicc - and hits every note I want from a non-BA pastry stout. I have a feeling it will be a bit divisive - overly-sweet sugar sludge for some, just right for others - but it clearly hits their intended goal. This is the sort of **** Wilford Brimley dreams about.

5) Singular Rhythms
Style: Foeder-Aged Saison w/ Boysenberries & Blackcurrants
Notes: This is the first bottled beer to come out of their foeders, and if it's an indication of where that program is headed, I'm quite pleased. Funk leads the way on the nose, bringing together both barnyardy and earthy elements - horse blanket, hay, and damp forest floor - along with juicy berries, restrained dark fruits redolent of currants and grapes, light acidity, touches of floral tea, toasted rustic bread, and a firm but restrained oak note. Fruit plays a more prominent role on the palate as bright boysenberries hit first, complemented by currants and an almost dried Black Mission Fig flavor. A mild dose of lactic acidity lays the groundwork for funk to dominate the mid-palate along with backing oak and grassy/floral notes. Fruit returns for a long, lightly-acidic finish backed by oak. Lively on the tongue with effervescent carbonation, it's a crushable 5.5% but interesting enough to want to sip and pick apart. I'm really loving the restrained acidity in this, and I hope the foeder's culture continues to evolve in a funk-dominated direction.

Doom Hawk is yet another terrible Horus collab. Tasted like (and had the body of) sunscreen.

bummer about doom hawk. I had a OH/Horus collab a few months ago, cinnamon churro something. It was actually pretty !

DT and Chaos Grid were the tits.

Doom Hawk is yet another terrible Horus collab. Tasted like (and had the body of) sunscreen.

I'm pretty sure Doom Hawk will give you diabetes as well. That's a higher finishing gravity than even Dark Lord. Might as well start drinking flavored wort.

can someone post a description?

i look forward to reading Xul's unbiased tasting notes on it soon
A liquid homage to one of our favorite Theory of Leisure members, Cassidy (A.K.A. Xul), this bourbon barrel-aged imperial pastry boi was loaded with peanut butter, cocoa nibs, vanilla, coconut, and almonds. It’s as decadent as it is delicious, and a worthy tribute to one of the chillest dudes ever.
ABV: 13.5%

A liquid homage to one of our favorite Theory of Leisure members, Cassidy (A.K.A. Xul), this bourbon barrel-aged imperial pastry boi was loaded with peanut butter, cocoa nibs, vanilla, coconut, and almonds. It’s as decadent as it is delicious, and a worthy tribute to one of the chillest dudes ever.
ABV: 13.5%

Pretty sure Xul hates Sage

Pretty sure Xul hates Sage
There are two people I specifically feel bad for as it pertains to the beer's adjuncts - Sage for not being able to drink it and Justin Holmes for having to deal with the peanut butter powder, which is a massive pain in the ass. I actually wasn't planning to use it in the original prototype blend (although I was using almonds anyway - sorry Sage), but Andrew Schwartz (MT's head of special projects) put it down on the table, I added it, and it elevated the beer to the next level.

It's not part of the preview tasting, so it's a blind buy. I can make something up if you'd like, and throw in a lot of polysyllabic adverbs to really sell the dream.
Yeah, bummed I don't get to try it beforehand. But, I've heard good things, so it'll be easy buy.

I really disliked it when I had it but I'll give it another try. It sounds good, I just didnt like it

I'm glad they saved these beers for the renewal month.
  • Foeder Tones: Oaky soy sauce
  • Foeder Tones with coconut and cocoa: okay this one was pretty good. Big Mounds bar character.
  • DT w/NOLA: One of my favorite MT beers ever... and was kinda disappointing. Was suuuuuuper nutty. Where was the coffee? Chicory?
  • Whatever the **** sour they poured: I don't care
  • EDIT: Forgot they poured a cider. It was fine. B1 Radix was better, but this one was better than B2 Radix (which I found to be phenolic.) This cider was a tad sulphury on the nose.

I'll just re-up Theory and buy a Xul in case it gets trade hype.

Last edited:
  • Foeder Tones with coconut and cocoa: okay this one was pretty good. Big Mounds bar character.
  • DT w/NOLA: One of my favorite MT beers ever... and was kinda disappointing. Was suuuuuuper nutty. Where was the coffee? Chicory?

Damn, exactly my thoughts. Really surprised by the DT, not really sure what happened there.

Really surprised by the DT, not really sure what happened there.
They used twice as much almond as last year, which ended up being a detriment in my opinion. I still think it's great, but a clear step down from the last two years.

• EDIT: Forgot they poured a cider. It was fine. B1 Radix was better, but this one was better than B2 Radix (which I found to be phenolic.) This cider was a tad sulphury on the nose.

glad I read this because now I can just focus on Xul, cold brew, and the triple IPA

When do League renewals begin?

Preface - fwiw, all three stouts seemed to get pretty different responses from different people, so how you feel about them will likely come down to you interpret different flavors. I didn't get anything like the soy sauce that tyrsis did from Foeder Tones, but I've heard a couple other people who said the same thing as him. YMMV.

October 2019 Preview Tasting

Assorted Notes:
1) Due to an accidental double booking, Monday night's SD preview tasting was inside the tasting room. Had a bit of the informal vibe of the earliest preview tastings, although there were far more of us packed in than those old tastings. Kudos to the crew for making it work on short notice. We also had the pleasure of seeing Phil MacNitt joining Leanne in hosting a tasting for the first time. Between Phil hosting last night and Derek hosting tonight, some of Modern Times' earliest employees are making their preview tasting debuts.

2) League renewals will begin on October 13th and conclude on November 1st, followed by the public sale on November 2nd. An email with all relevant details will go out before then, but existing members will also be able to buy gift memberships for others during the renewal period.

3) Derek also confirmed and corrected dates for a variety of upcoming events:
* Pumpkin Carving Party at Lomaland & Belmont - 10/30/19
* Modern Times Dog Show at Lomaland - 11/03/19
* Black House Black Friday - 11/29/19
* Christmas Party/Holiday Market at Lomaland - 12/15/19
* Shalomaland at Lomaland - 12/26/19
* Carnival of Caffeination at Liberty Station - 02/08/20
* Festival of Funk at Liberty Station - 04/18/20

4) The League staff now includes a third member, as Alanna was promoted from within the company to assist with communications and event planning. They're looking to step things up as far as League events and interactive experiences in 2020, and adding another person to the League-specific staff will help tremendously on that front.

5) Moving forward, tasting room points will only matter from the standpoint of contributing to money spent for Theory invites. There will no longer be rewards tiers for in-person spending. It made sense to do when there were only a couple of locations, but with all of the recent expansion, it's nearly impossible to provide consistent rewards experiences across all of the Modern Times facilities. The Point of Sale system still lists "rewards points" on receipts, but they're just tracking spending.

6) Anaheim is looking like 2020 Q2. I didn't catch details on that, but it's safe to assume that Modern Times is not taking their sweet time simply to screw with their Orange County fans.

7) Foeder Ice Dry-Hopped w/ Saphir is coming out in cans this month, and while we didn't get to preview it, every draft batch has been killer, and I expect this batch to follow suit. I hope people don't sleep on it amid such a crazy month, because it's the ideal crushable counterpoint to some of the heavy hitters dropping next week.

8) Fellowship of Xul is also coming out in bottles this month, and yes, I'm ****ing stoked. Leanne touched on how it came to be a bit, but I figured I'd share its history (as briefly as possible) since there are a few misconceptions about it. In June 2018, the top tier of tasting room spenders was invited to a blending session, where the winning recipe would be produced for a festival. The beers available to us were BBA Monsters' Park, BBA Devil's Teeth, BBA Beastmaster, and BBA Infinity Gauntlet, and we provided our own adjuncts with the only limitation being it had to be something MT could realistically use in a beer (vegan, not horrendously expensive, etc.). I brought desiccated coconut I had toasted myself, almond slivers I had toasted, and homemade vanilla extract that was several years old. My gameplan was to do a balanced base, using BBA Infinity Gauntlet to keep it more in strong ale territory than a stout-centric blend - think Firestone Walker anniversary blends, but with adjuncts. During the event, Andrew happened to bring out some peanut butter powder - both with and without cocoa - and after putting together the blend I had planned, I decided to put together an absurd pastry blend that was heavier on stouts, with vanilla, coconut, almonds, and the cocoa peanut butter powder, just for fun. That blend ended up winning and considering everything that has happened since, I'm glad it did - the peanut butter sets it apart from a lot of other beers of its ilk. I was under the impression it would just be served at Festival of Dankness, but they decided to blend up a bigger batch and send it out to GABF and a few other festivals. And obviously, here we are at a bottled batch.

As I always tried to tell people congratulating me on the great work, what we had the pleasure of drinking was all Modern Times staff. I dicked around with a French press, they made it work at a commercial scale and nailed a rather absurd blend of adjuncts. It was a blast to have done the blending competition and I'm completely flattered that it's named after me, but I definitely don't deserve the credit for it.

A few assorted other tidbits from the process:
* The blending competition yielded not just Fellowship of Xul, but an amplified version of the glitter beer meme that will follow me for all eternity. I already hated glitter beer, but Steven added glitter to a taster glass of stout and posted a picture of it in the League group, declaring my love for glitter beer. Since then, I've been entirely unable to escape hearing about it. Don't worry, buddy, I haven't forgotten about that one, nor will I. ;)
* We wanted to call the beer Xul's Bath Salts, but that was later nixed for fairly obvious reasons.
* Tangential to the process, but people still ask about it - my screen name is not a Ghostbusters reference. It's a song by Behemoth from their 2004 album "Demigod." By coincidence, that was released fifteen years ago this month - fairly cool to have the beer coming out so close to the album's anniversary date.

9) Insomnium's new album "Heart Like a Grave" came out last Friday and slaps with the fury of a freezing Finnish winter storm. Strong contender for AotY. Listen to it. Love it. Dedicate your existence to beer and metal. Be like me. Actually, don't, that's terrible ****ing advice. Just listen to the album.

The Beers:
1) Lost Times
Style: Cider
Score: 3.75
Notes: The first non-Radix cider that Modern Times has produced, Lost Times was made with wild-harvested apples from Vermont that were pressed into juice out there, shipped to Modern Times in steel totes, and fermented with MT's funky house culture. From there, it was aged in red wine barrels for five months. On first whiff, the nose is a bit sulfuric - chickenshit and eggs - but that blows off quickly to reveal rustic apple juice, mild earthy funk, and light lactic acidity that adds a hint of lemon juice to the mix. On the palate, tart apple juice hits first - think green apple - followed by fleshy notes and hints of skin flavor that add a good deal of depth to the apple character. Moderate funk weaves around the apple juice, mingling with the fleshy and skin aspects, while a restrained acidity adds touches of brightness. The sulfur on the nose is a bit distracting, I'm hoping it ages out, but it's otherwise an interesting cider with a lot to offer. I don't necessarily enjoy it as much as Radix - as my score reflects - but I'm curious to see where it goes with age.

2) Foeder Tones
Style: Foeder-Aged Imperial Stout
Notes: This is Modem Tones aged in a heavy-toast American oak foeder for just over six months, with neither any spirit barrel aging nor adjuncts. The aroma opens with a big peanut brittle note that evokes the candy in a shockingly clear fashion. It's not unlike Monsters' Park Aged in Tequila Barrels for those who remember that, although only in that one regard - just an incredibly clear characteristic that pops out. It's not overwhelming, though, as toffee, burnt caramel, moderate oak, light vanilla, dry bakers' chocolate, and faint dark fruits - figs and prunes - all follow and build a lovely tapestry that demands to be smelled repeatedly. The flavor came off just a bit sweeter than the nose to me, with dark chocolate and a slightly heavier dose of vanilla leading the way, before the aforementioned peanut brittle hits, along with toffee, restrained oak hints of marshmallow and leather, figs, and dark cherries barely poking through. The body is roughly in the middle of Modern Times' stout spectrum - more viscous than Devil's Teeth or Monsters' Park, but short of Beastmaster and Dragon Mask. Different people will interpret this differently, but I found the oak to present as a variety of complementary flavors, rather than a singular woody character. Based on conversations I had, it will be a bit polarizing, but I love it and think it will serve as a great blending beer for projects like Chaos Grid and Wizard Blend.

3) Foeder Tones w/ Coconut & Cocoa
Style: Foeder-Aged Imperial Stout w/ Coconut & Cocoa
Notes: Using the same base as the above beer, they added coconut at a rate of thirteen pounds per barrel and cocoa at a rate of 1.3 pounds per barrel. Adjuncting a foeder-aged stout certainly provided an interesting result, as familiar flavors integrated differently with the byproducts of the aging vessel, creating a somewhat familiar yet novel experience. Coconut leads on the nose but doesn't overwhelm, setting the stage for a sweeter aroma than the base. Semisweet chocolate, vanilla, caramel and restrained oak, support, while the peanut brittle note remains but is relegated to the background. The flavor largely follows, although a quick burst of oak and candied peanuts strike first, followed quickly by dark chocolate and a strong wave of coconut that builds from the mid-palate into the finish. It's reminiscent of a Mounds bar, but less sweet and more nuanced than something like Chaos Grid: Island Vacation that just hit that booze-soaked Mounds character from the pastry side of things. Think candy, but with a European swerve that is richer and less sweet than American counterparts. The cocoa provides a dry counterpoint to the coconut, maintaining a sense of balance throughout and combining with the base to build a lovely dark chocolate note that builds as the beer warms. As enjoyable as this is - and as much as I think this will be the more popular of the two - I prefer the adjunct-free base due to its more unique nature. I'm going to enjoy bottles of both and would encourage people to buy both, but this feels like it walks path parallel to one we've seen many times this year, while regular Foeder Tones heads off into the forest and carves a new path to experience.

4) Mega Devil's Teeth Aged in Bourbon Barrels: NOLA Coffee Edition w/ Almonds
Style: BBA Dessert Stout w/ Coffee, Chicory, Vanilla, & Almonds
Score: 4.75 (4.65 rounded up)
Notes: As with the two canned variants we've seen this year, the Mega Devil's Teeth base is a blend of two batches aged in bourbon barrels for eight to twelve months. This year's adjunct profile is a bit different, as it features almost double the amount of almonds and nearly 2.5x as much vanilla, while coffee and chicory remained roughly the same - 3 lbs/bbl coffee, .2 lbs/bbl chicory, .6 lbs/bbl vanilla, and 4 lbs/bbl almonds. In another change, this year's batch is carbonated rather than nitro, due to general customer feedback preferring carbonated cans. Upon first being served the beer, coffee hits the nose first with chicory melding in, along with moderate vanilla and almond, followed by rich dark chocolate, a quick hit of marshmallows, and light bourbon barrels. As it warms, the balance shifts heavily towards the almonds, with vanilla also picking up and the coffee being relegated to a supporting role. The flavor profile largely follows the progression of the aroma, with coffee hitting upfront before the beer warms up, developing a semisweet almond mocha character while the beer is cold. As it sits in the glass, the almond builds towards the front of the palate and the vanilla owns the backend, creating a sweeter flavor combination that's more redolent of baked goods. While I still think this beer is delicious as is, the changes in both the adjunct profile and carbonation stripped it of what made it a god-tier perfect beer to me. The coffee isn't as present as it should be, largely due to almond's dominance, and using CO2 makes it feel slightly less integrated than the last two years, as well as a touch thinner. I'm still looking forward to sitting on my couch with cans of it, but I hope that future years return to nitro and feature a more resilient coffee profile, using vanilla and almonds to complement.

5) Singular Rhythms w/ Gewürztraminer Grape Must & Nelson Hops
Style: Foeder-Aged Grisette w/ Grape Must & Nelson Hops
Notes: For those who might have missed it last month, Singular Rhythms uses the same base as Transit of Venus, but fermented and aged in a medium-toast American oak foeder. This particular variant was aged in the foeder for three months, then refermented with Gewürztraminer must and dry-hopped with Nelson Sauvin at a rate of .8 lbs/bbl, before being bottle conditioned. The aroma opens with rich dry hop character - think white wine and tropical fruit - that beautifully complements both the grape must and ester profile of the beer. Moderate earthy and barnyard funk mingle behind the fruit notes, along with light lactic acidity and mild touches of oak. On the palate, the grape must, and dry hops contribute to form a broad vinous character that hits fast and hard, followed by a wave of tropical fruits - papaya, passion fruit, and orange - along with restrained horse blanket and barnyard funk. Light oak provides backing structure, but the vinous character is really the star of the show. I have a feeling people are going to sleep on this, considering how stacked this month's sale is, but it's both interesting and delicious. It demands to be consumed fresh to appreciate what the dry-hopping contributes, yet I have a feeling age will do it well. All that said, I'm still hoping to see adjunct-free bottles of foeder-aged Transit of Venus, but in the interim, I'm enjoying these Singular Rhythms bottles.

Phil's band plays Soda Bar Friday night. I'm going to try to make it. Saw their first gig and it was awesome. #talkmusic #makeitfunky

I didn't get anything like the soy sauce that tyrsis did from Foeder Tones, but I've heard a couple other people who said the same thing as him. YMMV.

I didn't get soy sauce, but I can kinda see where people would say this. To me, it intensely oaky, like a bourbon that has been in barrels for 20 years. Very astringent/tannic. Not good or bad, but polarizing and the oak will either be off-putting or you'll like it. I enjoyed both Foeder Tones enough to grab a couple bottles of each.

I didn't get soy sauce, but I can kinda see where people would say this. To me, it intensely oaky, like a bourbon that has been in barrels for 20 years. Very astringent/tannic. Not good or bad, but polarizing and the oak will either be off-putting or you'll like it. I enjoyed both Foeder Tones enough to grab a couple bottles of each.
fwiw, I agree - as for the soy thing... I get that from a number of big stouts (hello Assassin) so I would pretty much never listen to me. Hell, I can't taste diacetyl, what the **** do I know

Back