The Montreal Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whisky bar: Burgundy Lion. It's directly across the street from Joe Beef and their scotch selection is un-****ing-real.

Seriously, don't slack. Get there.

I don't know how the system at vin papillon works but it might be tricky on a friday.

Check out Foxy also. Great resto owned by the Olive & Gourmando folks.

Go to Larry's for breakfast. Great coffee, great food, plus cocktails (apple mimosas are killer) and wine.

Whisky bar: Burgundy Lion. It's directly across the street from Joe Beef and their scotch selection is un-****ing-real.

Seriously, don't slack. Get there.

I don't know how the system at vin papillon works but it might be tricky on a friday.

Check out Foxy also. Great resto owned by the Olive & Gourmando folks.

Go to Larry's for breakfast. Great coffee, great food, plus cocktails (apple mimosas are killer) and wine.

this is what I needed! and I forgot to add Schwartz's for a smoked meat sandwich

this is what I needed! and I forgot to add Schwartz's for a smoked meat sandwich

Also, download the DINR app for your phone. It does day-of reservations at a bunch of great spots in Montreal (joe beef and Liverpool included) so if you're looking for that Liverpool reservation you might get lucky on there. Just a heads up, though, they charge $30/person if your miss your res

Also, download the DINR app for your phone. It does day-of reservations at a bunch of great spots in Montreal (joe beef and Liverpool included) so if you're looking for that Liverpool reservation you might get lucky on there. Just a heads up, though, they charge $30/person if your miss your res

I'm thinking we will have to leave Liverpool for another trip and will only have time for 1 dinner.

okay... so we'll be up next weekend for a short stay... basically have Friday to available and maybe couple hours here or there on Saturday

we have dinner res for Joe Beef.

I was thinking Vices et Versa for lunch? (open to other suggestions)

what is the best whiskey/cocktail bar for Friday night? or should we do wine maybe at Le Vin Papillon? (is this even feasible as a walk in for a Friday night?)

do you need res for Liverpool House?

best bagel in Montreal for Saturday morning?

possible small lunch Saturday?

any pastry (donut or otherwise) that are a must?
aren't you in town on June 2nd? /cc oldp0rt ;)

Vices for lunch, good plan. Always. Isle de Garde is also a solid option too. If you've never been, it's a must.

Pub L'Île Noire is a safe bet for whisky. Don't think walk-in are an option TBH. Regarding Liverpool, pretty sure you need a reservation.

Best bagels, Fairmount. Forgot anything you can possibly hear about St-Viateur.

Trou de Beigne is a very nice place for fancier donuts. Other than that, Hof Kelsten, Léché, Patrice Patissier, Rhubarbe

Didn't see anyone eating when we had drinks there, but that doesn't mean anything. I cannot remember anywhere we had lunch in Montreal. We had a cheese plate at Isle de Garde, but mostly we did quick grab and go stuff for lunch.

It's no different than Joe Beef, reservations are a really good idea but you could try and get lucky by just stopping in.

Big in Japan Bar was really cool.

I liked St-Viateur better than Fairmont but they were both really good. There's Kem Koba soft serve ice cream on the same block as Fairmont, too.

We grabbed some of the namesake pastry at Au Kougin-Amann.

Also, if you go to brunch at Lawrence, there's a bottle shop down the street. Pretty good selection.

I think Lawrence is still closed for renos, just a heads up, better call. Though, there's Depanneur AS right around the corner, good selection, but lots of the hop is not in the fridges, and it can be quite warm there during summer, just beware. Not cool

Kouign Amann is also great and while talking about Lawrence and DDC, Chez Guillaume is a solid bakery too.

indeed! we'll be in town on Friday. Trying to make the most of the trip.
If you're looking for something different you can try CUL-SEC which is just around the corner from Vices & Versa. The food is great and they have an awesome selection of Orange/Natural wines from all over the world. If you like lambic/sours and wine this is something you might want to look into. Also if you eat you can grab bottles to go, **** you won't ever find anywhere else

this trip, while longer than my last (which was ages ago), is not long enough... I need to plan another trip already.

aren't you in town on June 2nd? /cc oldp0rt ;)

Vices for lunch, good plan. Always. Isle de Garde is also a solid option too. If you've never been, it's a must.

Pub L'Île Noire is a safe bet for whisky. Don't think walk-in are an option TBH. Regarding Liverpool, pretty sure you need a reservation.

Trou de Beigne is a very nice place for fancier donuts. Other than that, Hof Kelsten, Léché, Patrice Patissier, Rhubarbe

We were able to walk in to Pub L'Île Noire on a Friday night for Scotch after dinner when I was up last year.

I’ll be up again the week after Grand Prix. Can’t wait.

I wanted to update the original post and clean this up a bit.
  • Darling (hip & trendy place to grab a bite and have a drink)
  • Dispatch (solid coffee)
  • Brewskey Pub (great spot in the old port)
  • Ramen Ya (no explanations needed)
  • Café Névé (another great coffee shop)
  • Pikolo (another great coffee shop, especially if you're Place des Arts or downtown)
  • Réservoir (good small pub, good beer)
  • Lawrence (great good)
  • La Chillenta (cheap, cozy and also, burritos)
  • Boswell (fun beers & food)
  • Portugalia (great portugese place)
  • Kazamaza (great middle east cuisine)
  • Sumi Dojo (fun ramen joint)
  • Amelias (solid pizza. Try their white pizza with cheese, omg)
  • Khyber pass (great tasty afghan cuisine. BYOB)
I can definitely go forward and recommend more stuff, if you are looking for something specific (food-wise for example), don't hesitate to drop a line or reach out!
Right on! Appreciate all the help.

I liked St-Viateur better than Fairmont but they were both really good. There's Kem Koba soft serve ice cream on the same block as Fairmont, too.
Oooo damn, we forgot about the bagels.... Both added to the list.

Anyone have a suggestion for cigars? Shops and lounges?
We are currently eying Casa del Habano and Stogies Cigar Lounge but some of the reviews, stogies in particular, seem pretty love it or hate it.

Edit:
Whoops, should have done a quick search earlier. Looks like those were the two places already recommended.

Last edited:
Bloody hell. Thought my next work trip to MTL was going to include a night in VT. May skip that whole idea in favor of an extra night with a stop at CUL-SEC and those good eats noted last couple pages.

Right on! Appreciate all the help.
Anyone have a suggestion for cigars? Shops and lounges?
We are currently eying Casa del Habano and Stogies Cigar Lounge but some of the reviews, stogies in particular, seem pretty love it or hate it.

Edit:
Whoops, should have done a quick search earlier. Looks like those were the two places already recommended.

La Casa Del Habano, Whisky Café and Stogies Cigares Lounge ;)

If you're looking for something different you can try CUL-SEC which is just around the corner from Vices & Versa. The food is great and they have an awesome selection of Orange/Natural wines from all over the world. If you like lambic/sours and wine this is something you might want to look into. Also if you eat you can grab bottles to go, **** you won't ever find anywhere else
I’m very into all of that.

i'm up in Quebec a few times a year but we never really venture into Montreal... been a few times but haven't lived it up the way that is proper.. i'm normally about 50-65 mins outside the city where i go so it's kind of that no mans land... not far but far enough so we stick to the country and just chill.... i always enjoy reading about all the places to go though as when i do go i like to have a few spots that are must hits...

Enjoy the trip Os...

anybody up in that area i'll be up from like 7/1 - 7/6... lac massawippi (ayers cliff/st catherene de hatley) is my turf though... if anybody wants to possibly trade or something lmk... would be interested in trying some auval and lower batch dunham... always been intrigued but don't have much time/capacity when visiting to hunt for either and now with child even less time

Anyone in Montreal this week? Just landed and here till Thursday night and have some free time.

There is quite a few events in town this week due to the Mondial de la Bière

June 6 to June 7: Tap Takeover Blood Brothers at Saint-Bock
(Link to media)

June 6: Launch of Dreamsicle at Espace Public - Sour Milkshake with Marmelade
(Link to media)

June 6: Tap Takeover (8 taps) of Godspeed Brewery at Dieu du Ciel
(Link to media)

June 7 to June 8: Ouest en Est at Vice&Versa
(Link to media)

June 7: Tacos & Cask at Boswell
(Link to media)

June 7: Tap Takeover of T'Verzet at Pub Pit Caribou (https://www.facebook.com/events/439374729857953/)
June 8: Sour beer at Sation Ho.St (https://www.facebook.com/events/221039798479779/)
June 8 to June 9: Tap Takeover Croce di Malto at Saint-Bock (https://www.facebook.com/events/384171595419475/)

I am sure there is more, but these are the one I know of.

There is quite a few events in town this week due to the Mondial de la Bière

June 6 to June 7: Tap Takeover Blood Brothers at Saint-Bock
(Link to media)

June 6: Launch of Dreamsicle at Espace Public - Sour Milkshake with Marmelade
(Link to media)

June 6: Tap Takeover (8 taps) of Godspeed Brewery at Dieu du Ciel
(Link to media)

June 7 to June 8: Ouest en Est at Vice&Versa
(Link to media)

June 7: Tacos & Cask at Boswell
(Link to media)

June 7: Tap Takeover of T'Verzet at Pub Pit Caribou (https://www.facebook.com/events/439374729857953/)
June 8: Sour beer at Sation Ho.St (https://www.facebook.com/events/221039798479779/)
June 8 to June 9: Tap Takeover Croce di Malto at Saint-Bock (https://www.facebook.com/events/384171595419475/)

I am sure there is more, but these are the one I know of.

giphy.gif

we'll be up for a night in october with my in-laws (day trip-ish from vermont). recs in here have been great, but wanted to check on joe beef vs. au pied vs ?? for a dinner for the group. my in-laws aren't super adventurous eaters so i'm leaning toward joe beef but not totally sure about that. also any one worthwhile tourist attraction to hit over others?

we'll be up for a night in october with my in-laws (day trip-ish from vermont). recs in here have been great, but wanted to check on joe beef vs. au pied vs ?? for a dinner for the group. my in-laws aren't super adventurous eaters so i'm leaning toward joe beef but not totally sure about that. also any one worthwhile tourist attraction to hit over others?

Both are great options! Depending on which area you are staying, Vin Papillon or Vin Mon Lapin could also be good options. They are more wine bars with local/seasonal dishes. But are from the Joe Beef team.

Cabane À Sucre Au Pied de Cochon might have some availability during these d.ates. However, it is a set menu so might not be a good option if your in-laws aren't super adventurous eaters

Both are great options! Depending on which area you are staying, Vin Papillon or Vin Mon Lapin could also be good options. They are more wine bars with local/seasonal dishes. But are from the Joe Beef team.

Cabane À Sucre Au Pied de Cochon might have some availability during these d.ates. However, it is a set menu so might not be a good option if your in-laws aren't super adventurous eaters
thanks! part of the appeal of joe beef over vin papillon /vin mon lapin was the ability to make a reservation because we know we want to do a nice meal that evening. it also looked like cabane au sucre au pied de cochon wasn't open in october?

thanks! part of the appeal of joe beef over vin papillon /vin mon lapin was the ability to make a reservation because we know we want to do a nice meal that evening. it also looked like cabane au sucre au pied de cochon wasn't open in october?

Yes true, Vin Papillon/Vin Mon Lapin doesn't take any reservations; always forgetting that. If you end up choising Joe Beef, I would recommend going to Vin Papillon before your reservation at Joe Beef for a quick appetizer/glass of wine. They are located really close to each other (read almost in the same building)!

Re: Cabane À Sucre Au Pied de Cochon - I see some availability on a few dates in October on their website.

FYI, just to clarify the Au Pied de Cochon restaurant is located in Montreal, on Duluth, close to St-Denis. However, the Cabane à Sucre ("Sugar Shack" though not your typical Sugar Sack) is outside of Montreal's island, 30-60 minutes away from Downtown (depending at which time you're leaving). Many people aren't aware of this, so just clarifying!

Hey :) I'm kind of a lurker but I'll be in Montreal August 6-8 - would anyone like to get a drink / meet up?
If you want me to bring any beers from HF, happy to mule (Going to FoFA).

Hey :) I'm kind of a lurker but I'll be in Montreal August 6-8 - would anyone like to get a drink / meet up?
If you want me to bring any beers from HF, happy to mule (Going to FoFA).

The list at the beginning here is amazing. Coming into town in late August and can’t wait!

If youhave any further questions, feel free to ask us! :)

Rolling into town with the lady oct12-15ish and have some very specific food questions.
She’s vegetarian and lactose intolerant... and I’m a hungry hungry hippo where would y’all point us for foodstuffs. I’ll eat just about anything so her food specific stuff is greatly appreciated.

Rolling into town with the lady oct12-15ish and have some very specific food questions.
She’s vegetarian and lactose intolerant... and I’m a hungry hungry hippo where would y’all point us for foodstuffs. I’ll eat just about anything so her food specific stuff is greatly appreciated.
Lola Rosa is great, cheap and good stuff. Quite busy usually, though, so you need to plan for it. Nothing fancy, just good vegetarian food.

Other than that, Lov Restaurant is quite nice. I think Bonnys Vegetarien & Organic Cuisine is now close, but you can check to see (Google says its closed, but their website seems to be still up?)

La Panthère Verte is good if you're on the road and need something quick.

Back