The Little Known Yeast Starter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
So, I pitched a yeast starter for the first time after about twenty brews, and man has that thing taken off.

I have brewed both ales and lagers in the past.

I have looked at MrMalty and it says to pitch x.x vials or come up with that much.

Obviously you should pitch more for a lager than ales.

What I find is "make a 2 liter starter" or something like that.

Not one person says "put x.xx of water with x.x DME and creat the starter for a ale/lager.

Anyone help me out?

~Diz

for a starter wort of 1.040 one lb of DME per gallon of water adjust for your size 1 liter starter .25 lb of extract to a liter of water the size you need depends on the gravity of the beer your making the higher the gravity the more yeast cells needed

Starters should all be about the same OG, about 1.035, to promote healthy reproduction of yeast. If it says to make a 1 litre starter use 100 grams of DME to 1 litre of water. If it says to make a 1.5 liter starter, use 1.5 liters water with 150 grams
of DME. It's simple, the 10ml to 1gr ratio gives you an OG of about 1.035 which is perfect.

Back