The infection is -IN- me!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterZ

Reaction score
Tell me if I'm right. Am I infected? I am brand new to brewing, haven't even bottled anything yet, much in the works.
In primary: Irish Red Ale, American Cream Ale, California Common, White House Honey Ale and a Show Mead.
In secondary: English Brown Ale and a Mixed Berry Serrano Mead.
Planned: Tripel, Porter,.... Drinking: Guiness Black Lager.
There's a brewing bug, and I'm pretty sure I'm infected. If you have a cure, keep it to yourself - I'm having too much fun!
(And my wife is tickled how the kitchen is always so tidy and sanitary nowadays)

Sounds like you have the bug hard!

I dont know how you do it...when I used to brew in the kitchen it would turn into a disaster scene. Good for you for keeping your brew day tidy (or cleaning really well after!)

Since my rebirth into brewing beer, the wife supports my habit, edgy on some of the equipment costs, and hates the smell while I'm cooking. But since the kitchen ends up super clean, it all balances out.

And by the cases upon cases of bottles, and one of the benches in the garage looks like a meth lab, it's pretty clear I'm hooked.

Desvio said:
Since my rebirth into brewing beer, the wife supports my habit, edgy on some of the equipment costs, and hates the smell while I'm cooking. But since the kitchen ends up super clean, it all balances out.

And by the cases upon cases of bottles, and one of the benches in the garage looks like a meth lab, it's pretty clear I'm hooked.

Yeah, I did buy the burner so I can do just the boiling / stinky part out in the garage (door up a bit and a fan going) because my wife can even smell my evil thoughts.

Speaking of bottles, anyone had luck mooching empties from local pubberies? Gonna need a ####load soon.

Yeah, I did buy the burner so I can do just the boiling / stinky part out in the garage (door up a bit and a fan going) because my wife can even smell my evil thoughts.

Speaking of bottles, anyone had luck mooching empties from local pubberies? Gonna need a ####load soon.

Find a recycle place in your area. Even my little town has one. Go there personally and talk to the people. My guy saved me about 500 champagne bottles which take a regular cap and bunches of 12 oz. bottles. He didn't do too badly either with the samples I gave him. His quote: "I never met a beer I didn't like."

jungatheart said:
Find a recycle place in your area. Even my little town has one. Go there personally and talk to the people. My guy saved me about 500 champagne bottles which take a regular cap and bunches of 12 oz. bottles. He didn't do too badly either with the samples I gave him. His quote: "I never met a beer I didn't like."

Around here if you take your own bottles in you dump them in a huge bin, and there's no attendant right there. Breakage common. Even I don't want to hang into that bin, and I'm usually the guy in the group who will try the crazy thing.

Idk where you are,but I have 5 12 pack craft boxes full of bottles you can have if you come get. retired & broke to ship...

unionrdr said:
Idk where you are,but I have 5 12 pack craft boxes full of bottles you can have if you come get. retired & broke to ship...

Very thoughtful of you, and the price is right, but from Minnesota it might not be cost effective.

Oregon has a bottle deposit it makes things difficult, most of my friends brew so that's a no. But luckily neighboring Washington where there is no deposit, a quick word with a few Mexican restaurants and a $20 netted me an armada of Corona bottles (my favorite for bottling). Longnecks are great for filling, and yes they are clear, but the only light my beer will see is the refrigerator light.

Desvio said:
Oregon has a bottle deposit it makes things difficult, most of my friends brew so that's a no. But luckily neighboring Washington where there is no deposit, a quick word with a few Mexican restaurants and a $20 netted me an armada of Corona bottles (my favorite for bottling). Longnecks are great for filling, and yes they are clear, but the only light my beer will see is the refrigerator light.

No deposit here in Minn. I'll start asking around next week at the high volume bars. Eventually someone will say, "yes."

You could go to the bottle drop off and hang out for a day asking people for their bottles. If you don't want to do that you could go to bars in your town and ask if they would save bottles for you then after you get in good with them you could pay them a 6 pk of full bottles for every two case of empty bottles they give you

I've gotten bottles before from a bar. If you treat bartenders right they seem to have no problem hooking you up. Go somewhere you know the staff or they will at least recognize you.

westofthebeltway said:
I've gotten bottles before from a bar. If you treat bartenders right they seem to have no problem hooking you up. Go somewhere you know the staff or they will at least recognize you.

I don't "do" bars, but fortunately I'm charming as hell!

I got the bug too. My first batch shocked me, it tasted great! So now I bought some kegs, carboys, etc, etc :mug:

Plan is to get two kegs ready for the lake this summer, so I need portable co2, more kegs, some picnic taps, .... :tank:

You haven't bottled anything yet and you've got 7 batches on the go. I think you've been bit large my friend.

You're going to make a lot of friends when it comes to polishing them off. Be sure to include the neighbors for diplomacy if nothing else.

I'm afraid the only cure for this infection is bankrupcty, until then your operation will continually get larger and more sophisticated. Until your brewery rivals the best Nanobreweries out there and your turning out world class beers....thinking hmm I could do this for a living. Sorry to break this news to you:D

patthebrewer said:
I'm afraid the only cure for this infection is bankrupcty, until then your operation will continually get larger and more sophisticated. Until your brewery rivals the best Nanobreweries out there and your turning out world class beers....thinking hmm I could do this for a living. Sorry to break this news to you:D

OK, I am not from Missouri, but ya gotta show me why extract brewing is not good enough. Maybe I'll be happy with the quality of what's cooking right now. Maybe my palate ain't so sophisticated, but it will likely guide how carried away I get with this. One thing I do know, I enjoy doing it. And the waiting to see how a batch will turn out, well, it's like looking forward to opening presents on christmas morning!

Latest posts

Back