The hopefully not obnoxious wood fired brick oven build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409607895.205378.jpg. Still looks damned sweet from the deck.

You could cut a 45 or whatever angle your last course is, into the back side of the arch. That would give you a flat surface on which to lay the brick. You'd probably have to cut them a bit taller to match the rest.

Oddly I'm not being a wise azz here and impressed with the attempt. It's small and it doesn't have to be perfect. I don't think it will kill anyone...this year. But I was laughing at this seventh wonder of the South Shore because I had watched this PBS special on Brunelleschi building his dome. Back then no one could figure out how to build a dome and eventually did end up killing people because of the scale. Modern architects figured out how he made the perfect dome with limited tools. All by geometry and oddly strings to make sure things didn't get out of whack as they climbed higher. Simple and ingenius technique. You're going to plaster it over anyways and I don't think it needs to be perfect. It's all about the learning and not loosing a thumb cutting stones :p

I saw that same show on Brunelleschi. Interesting stuff.

What you're saying is... PTN trying to do this is like someone trying to build Brunelleschi's dome with... crayons?

Classic.

I don't think he even needed all of the strings etc... Just a simple wooden arch cut-out to use as a guide.

Oh crap! We should have mentioned that a bunch of posts ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew because it impresses people

I would liked to see it big enough to fit three dead hookers inside, not one and half Asian ones.

The pizza bagels should be epic though

How wide is the opening? Can you even fit a normal-sized peel in it?

Holy shti. That would be tremendous. The thing finally gets finished in late 2019, the fire is going, it heats up nice and toasty... "Ok... Time for pizza!". And the peel won't fit through the opening.

For all that is holy and good in the universe, please let that doorway be too small and please, please let me have video of the moment if realization.

Lastly... A quick google search shows pretty consistent advice that the door opening should be between 62%-64% of the dome height, and then stresses how important it is to make sure that ratio is dead on.

That's what you're doing right Paul?

You sure do seem to be devoting a lot of time and effort into following my adventure. I guess you've got a lot of free time since Yeager had that restraining order served on you.

Wow. Long night in the ER?

"Yeager had that restraining order served on you"???

Wow. That is some a' the weakest shti you've ever typed... and that is saying something cuz you type a TON of weak azz shti.

Cape: "where ya gonna stick that peel"
PTN: "bend over and I'll show ya"
Cape: "you've gotta a lot of nerve talking to me like that"
PTN (while looking at Yeager): "I wasn't talking to you"

But I was laughing at this "Seventh Wonder of the South Shore" because I had watched this PBS special on Brunelleschi building his dome. It's all about the learning and not loosing a thumb cutting stones :p

I like that. "The Seventh Wonder of the South Shore." That works for me.

Cape: "where ya gonna stick that peel"
PTN: "bend over and I'll show ya"
Cape: "you've gotta a lot of nerve talking to me like that"
PTN (while looking at Yeager): "I wasn't talking to you"

"Dad, that tree wouldn't fit in our yard"

"It's not going in our yard, Russ. It's going in our living room"

classic

Slow but steady progress continues. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410211574.202925.jpg

I'm getting things back to a more level plane now that I'm above the arch. I had to use some scrap cut offs to fill the void where the dome dipped down. Is it going to be an Italian masterpiece cathedral? Nah. Will it cook the **** out of some pizza? Hell yeah
!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410211772.353955.jpg

Maybe five more courses to go. Each one uses less brick but involves more time cutting. Had to buy my third $33 Harbor Freight diamond blade today. I don't know if I would gave been better off buying the $80 blade at Home Depot, would I get better milage with a better blade? Who knows?

I think if you read any of his other threads you wouldn't be asking that question. Start off reading the UtopiaX thread. This post count doesn't even come close to that thing!

Sticks and stones may break my bones but cruel, mean, heartless, bulling might cause me to become depressed and lock myself in my bedroom until the despair becomes overwhelming and I cut my wrists in a pitiful cry for help then hang myself.

But I'll make myself a nice margarita pizza for my last meal first.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but cruel, mean, heartless, bulling might cause me to become depressed and lock myself in my bedroom until the despair becomes overwhelming and I cut my wrists in a pitiful cry for help then hang myself.

But I'll make myself a nice margarita pizza for my last meal first.

Guessing you are not the only one in your bedroom depressed with overwhelming despair. Alice must be a saint.

Back