The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trader Joe's dough. Baked on a stone w/ parchment paper.
IMG_20180512_125628.jpeg

My wife and i make pizza every camping trip anymore it seems. We use boboli and cook them over the coals from the fire. They have to be on this thread, more than once. Wish i knew how to find stuff. To use fresh dough over open fire throw spread dough over fire (gas grill too). Flip after some browning and top the warm side over fire, not to heavily. Our friends had a cool propane portable camp oven they used. With an old beat-up jelly roll type pan, I bet you can make an awesome Pizza in the fire, maybe a cast iron skillet. Trader joes, store dough, is fine and pretty cheap to.

So I got a wild hair and decided to make a home made KIZZA oven :) Yep that is a 1/2 BBL keg I converted into a pizza oven.
How it works.
I built a gas manifold from some scrap stainless tubing and parts. I rolled a ring and welded it into the keg for the stone to set in. I then added a stainless perforated basket that holds oak chunks. The gas manifold keeps the temps up and keeps the oak on fire for the added heat and the smoke.
I am on version 5 at the moment. It has been a challenge to get the temps right above and below the stone. But I think I have nailed it. Last weekend I pumped 30 pizzas through the oven in just a few hours.
Cheers
Jay
PizzaOven1.jpg

So I got a wild hair and decided to make a home made KIZZA oven :) Yep that is a 1/2 BBL keg I converted into a pizza oven.
How it works.
I built a gas manifold from some scrap stainless tubing and parts. I rolled a ring and welded it into the keg for the stone to set in. I then added a stainless perforated basket that holds oak chunks. The gas manifold keeps the temps up and keeps the oak on fire for the added heat and the smoke.
I am on version 5 at the moment. It has been a challenge to get the temps right above and below the stone. But I think I have nailed it. Last weekend I pumped 30 pizzas through the oven in just a few hours.
Cheers
JayView attachment 570227

Jay, that’s just awesome, as always! Well done!

How it works.
Cheers
Awesome pizza oven!
I checked your site and I guess you're out of stock. Let us know when the finalized version is in. :D

How it works.
Cheers
Niiiice
Seems if you need more top heat maybe trim a bit off of the stone on one side, giving it a 4 inch or so flat edge.
Also, a narrowed opening in the front would probably help. I'm guessing the height above the stone isn't helping either. Just my guessing...

No match compared to what's posted here, but I followed the advice and used Trader Joe's garlic crust, bolognaise garlic and onion sauce, pepperoni, salami, greek olives, and a sht load of mozzarella. Pressed out into a 9 X 13 pan and at was sensational! RV trip was a hit. Next time, I might bake the crust a bit first before finishing with the toppings.
IMG_0984.JPG

Whipped up some pizzas real quick for lunch. I used the broiler and got some better results on the top. I think what I'm looking for for better top Browning has something to do with the broiler. But I wasn't able to get the steel preheated enough to do a good job on the bottom. I think maybe I should try to get the oven as hot as I can for a half hour or hour and then switch to broiler, idk.
20180519_122132.jpg
20180519_123059.jpg
20180519_123842.jpg

Preheating for a while helps a lot

Are you using pre grated mozzarella? That usually has starch added to it so it doesn't clump, but it makes the cheese brown quicker than when you grate your own.

I've recently liked using a mix of low moisture mozz/gouda/scamorza and fresh mozzarella

I've yet to find the perfect mozz that is creamy, oozy, stringy, and doesn't over brown.

A cheese blend is definitely the way to go. These days i do something like mozz, prov and jack (about 60%/30%/10%). It might be different though based on the ingredients you have readily available.

Monterey Jack is my go to for pizzas now. Used to be a mozzerella guy but the flavor and meltiness of Monterey is hard to beat imho

Sourdough pies tonight. 5 day fridge proof with a warm push earlier today. I missed photos of the pies but got some great cast iron garlic cheese bread on the side.
IMG_20180530_215922310.jpeg

Man I'm hungry now. That cheese bread looks great. How do you use cast iron in pizza making? Never learned. I never had any luck in the kitchen either. Mom used it with two fingers of oil to fry chicken. Why do my hamburgers stick, arghh. Hoping you can help.

Trader Joe's dough. Baked on a stone w/ parchment paper. View attachment 569855
Nice.... Just needs some fresh basil leaves on there (and yes, I know this is a couple weeks later...)
I like the TJs dough also - especially the garlic herb one. All of theirs seems to be a bit harder to stretch out that another place I usually go - a local sort of permanent farmers market that we go to all the time. That's where I get my dough balls - they come out frozen (usually,) and I thaw them one at a time and it works well.

For cheese, as someone else mentioned above, besides using fresh mozz balls when I get around to it, I've had pretty good luck with the BJs brand shredded (Wellesley Farms here, don't know if they have other names around the country.) a good balance of stretch / ooze but will still cut off easily enough when biting.

Was trying to make something that would have been posted to the homemade bread thread, but it didn't turn out like I wanted. It did turn out to be something I could make tiny pizzas with:

image-20180604_144417.jpg

254472_230109480333678_4577120_n.jpg

Poor mans wood fired oven. Gas grill with wood chunk and chips. I make the pie on the back of a parchment lined pan. Slide parchment and all onto stone. After 3 minutes, remove parchment from underneath. I shoot the stone with a laser thermometer. 450°F to 550°F is good. 10 to 15 minutes. Over 550°F will blacken the crust way to much in a very short time. Hydration as high as I can handle it (65 to 70%). A little cornmeal in the dough for crunch.

Why didn't i post these yesterday? Now i have to follow icebob! Those look awesome. You are such a good pizza maker. I may get that black stone oven at some point, but I don't think I could make them like that even if I did have it. Check out my new Blackstone griddle ice Bob. Used flour today instead of my lately normal oil and or using parchment paper. Because I felt like the parchment paper was messing with the crust and it would be better thrown straight on. I'm not sure it was much better and it was a pain in the neck. With this really wet dough especially working with it cold, i think I should have made the pizzas and thrown them straight on to the griddle. They were not sliding off anything very well. Good thing they weren't topped. Seared the leftover brats from Father's Day on the side while the pizza cooked and then threw it on top. The pizza had a crispy little bubbly surface that I really love in pizza, I tried to get a pic of it but it doesn't quite convey. It's been nice making pizza and getting the heat out of the house. Before we had the griddle I made pizza on the grill in a similar method and I think there's some pics on here of it. Knowing what I know now I might go back to that method to keep heat out of the kitchen
Resized_20180621_172015.jpg
20180621_173608-1.jpg
20180621_173654.jpg
20180621_173611.jpg
20180621_173650.jpg

I see pizzas in my future! I played with a simple 2-4 hour dough recipe last week. SUPER SIMPLE! Turned out SO GOOD! SO GOOD! my son. Very picky kid (must take after his grand mother) was like "Dang DAD! That dough is KILLER" I almost fell over.....Ha Ha Ha!

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back