The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got around to making pizza today with the frozen dough.Took the dough out and set it on the counter, after a few hours the dough started to come alive. I then divided dough into four smaller balls and let rise for 6 hours until it was time to bake. Happy to report that pizzas came out great.No problems with the dough. Sorry, no pictures.

I do that all the time. I haven't yet worked out a recipe for homemade dough :( though I've tried several recipes - none of them work out the way I want. I get frozen lumps from a farmer's market nearby, and I'll usually take them out of the freezer into the fridge the morning of. When I'm starting prep, I'll take it out onto the counter for the last few minutes. I don't want the dough at room temp - it doesn't stretch the way I like unless it's cooler. I have experimented a lot of different ways of this, and this is what works for me - I presume it's fully risen / fermented before freezing.

Please share :)

This is the original, posted by a woman named NancyElle on the low carb forum I frequent:

Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust
Heat oven to 450 degrees

In a bowl thoroughly combine
3 eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
press evenly into Pam sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet
(this makes one 16 inch pizza crust)
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes)

My tweaks - I use Trader Joe's Three Cheese Blend (because I almost always have it on hand) which is a 12 oz bag and measures exactly 3 cups. I use a round 16" pan which I line with that nice nonstick foil. I blind bake the crust for 6 minutes, then I carefully flip it over and bake another 5 minutes - then top it and stick it back in the oven til the cheese you put on top melts. We like "everything" pizza so generally it has pepperoni, salami, browned bulk sausage, chopped onion, diced red bell pepper, sliced black olives - whatever you like. I always add some shredded cheese on top of all that to "glue" it down a bit.

Let it cool about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven - you can actually pick it up to eat it. And it's great the next day, cold from the fridge.

It's good stuff and tastes heavenly to a low-carber missing proper pizza!

I'm a firm believer in watching my carbs and dairy intake. But I've slowly convinced myself that pizza is both, therefore neither.

^^so it's healthier to eat a crust made with three cups of cheese and three eggs than flour and water?

If you're a low carb eater, or gluten intolerant, yes, it is!

Which is not to say that I don't enjoy a regular-crust pizza a couple times a year. I do. But 95% of the time I stick to no sugar/flour/carby stuff.

Thanks! I pretty much follow Tony Gemignani's New York dough recipe (The Pizza Bible) using a poolish starter. I use a bit more salt than him... 12g.

My wife just bought me a "pampered chef 15" pizza stone" but the instructions say to not preheat the stone which seems to be the opposite of what you want. I tried it twice so far without preheating and it's nice you can get the top fully browned but still, the crust is too soft. Why on Earth would q company make a pizza​ stone that your not supposed to preheat?

My wife just bought me a "pampered chef 15" pizza stone" but the instructions say to not preheat the stone which seems to be the opposite of what you want. I tried it twice so far without preheating and it's nice you can get the top fully browned but still, the crust is too soft. Why on Earth would q company make a pizza​ stone that your not supposed to preheat?

Your not supposed to preheat the oven before putting the stone in.
The stone should preheat with the oven so the temp change is more gradual
Possibly poorly worded warning?

Related question - what's the best pizza cutter? our current kitchenaid cutter is starting to flake off plastic chrome stuff. I started looking at all stainless steel ones but see mixed reviews on the china imports. I'm a cheap sob so I don't want to spend a lot either. What does everyone use?

Related question - what's the best pizza cutter? our current kitchenaid cutter is starting to flake off plastic chrome stuff. I started looking at all stainless steel ones but see mixed reviews on the china imports. I'm a cheap sob so I don't want to spend a lot either. What does everyone use?

I've found multi purpose tools are the best. An 8" or 10" Forschner chefs knife cuts any style of pizza.

Yep, I have one too. The ones for pizza I think are thicker. I think you could use it but it might break if you throw a cold pizza on it.

No preheat sounds like a recipe for soggy crust...

I borrowed a friends pampered chef stone once and preheated it to a nice crack right down the middle. I attributed it to the fact i was using an electric stove at the time. I wonder now if it was actually the pre-heat.

I use a $13 stone that I preheat for at least 30 minutes @ 600+. I personally wouldn't use a stone that I couldn't preheat.

For all the bat'leth, I mean rocker knife users, do they cut on the first try? Or do you need to rock it more than once per cut?

Nice Klingon reference!! :)

The good ones work really well, the cheap ones, not so much. And it takes a few times to get the hang of it.

I just ordered a roccbox back in mid June. Hoping to get it in a couple of weeks. Cant wait to join this thread once that happens.

I have worked in, been around, maybe 5 pizza places, and we always used sharp wheels. I could cut a pizza into half inch slices in about 10 seconds, but then again I have huge hands and could probably do that with a butter knife if given enough time. That being said, I will never forget how the college kid made me feel like a dumbazz 20ish years ago because I couldnt work a wheel. Its definitely an aquired skill. Hard, quick, and determined one must be to use it well with a pinch of style and looseness. Wait, Im still talking about pizza, where was I, hey bartender.

I just ordered a roccbox back in mid June. Hoping to get it in a couple of weeks. Cant wait to join this thread once that happens.

I looked at that and the uuni, before buying the maximus, it looks great and very portable . I ended up going with the maximus as I wanted a bit bigger cooking floor for roasts etc and had the space for it, but was very tempted by the roccbox

Pizza night. Meatball, two cheeses, and a little basil.

image.jpeg

Paid $22 for a German pizza wheel. Only thing with a safer place in the house is the dog... Been messing with sourdough a lot lately. This one has a ton of moving parts, process wise, but the result might be the tastiest crust yet. Stiff to handle but so much depth.
Not for nothing I stopped weighing stuff. Still advocate it for developing pizza guys, but it feels nice making pies without pulling the scale out...

View attachment 1500681110187.jpg

View attachment 1500681131814.jpg

View attachment 1500681145353.jpg

View attachment 1500681158254.jpg

That is the knife I linked to... without having actually tried it. Glad to hear you are pleased, might have to order it now.

Some of the reviews said that it had metal slivers on the edge when they got it. Did you notice any? I'm sure it's nothing a wet stone wouldn't fix.

That is the knife I linked to... without having actually tried it. Glad to hear you are pleased, might have to order it now.

Some of the reviews said that it had metal slivers on the edge when they got it. Did you notice any? I'm sure it's nothing a wet stone wouldn't fix.

Oh jk. You linked it! Haha. I didn't notice any. I looked the blade over pretty well (not looking for metal slivers) and ran my fingers up and down it and it was perfectly smooth. A stone would definitely fix it, but mine didn't need it

Paid $22 for a German pizza wheel. Only thing with a safer place in the house is the dog... Been messing with sourdough a lot lately. This one has a ton of moving parts, process wise, but the result might be the tastiest crust yet. Stiff to handle but so much depth.
Not for nothing I stopped weighing stuff. Still advocate it for developing pizza guys, but it feels nice making pies without pulling the scale out...

Super solid as always. I guess I need a 2nd stone. No scale looks good.

Latest posts

Back