The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round BHprovolone and Moz, half BH turkey pep
Grandma is just fresh mozzarella and garlic

Wish my basil plants were bigger
Used Bob's red Mill artisan flour in Belluccis dough recipe. Added a teaspoon of gluten protein. Stressed the KitchenAid pretty good. Gonna try warmer water next time to see if that's easier on the mixer.

Anyone have any tips on preserving sauce? Can it freeze ok? GFS has a good selection. But they are gallon cans. I know sauce oxidizes pretty quick and changes flavor. Would filling acouple sanitized Mason jars and putting them in the fridge work?

The sauces freeze great. If you are really wanting exact flavor vacu seal it. I should do same, thanks for the idea.

Made a new pie today. I used Cardiff crack (it's a marinated tri tip. If you've been to San Diego, you've heard of it) homemade BBQ sauce, onions and black olives. Turned out fantastic. Convection oven at 600. Didn't use enough flour on the dough so it stuck to the peel on the transfer which was a bummer, but 4 spatulas later and it came right off haha.

View attachment 1493611123584.jpg

View attachment 1493611130659.jpg

Someone had posted about frozen stuff. This was from a frozen dough ball. About a week old. Works fine but there is a difference. Your results may vary. I leave mine on the steel longer than a fresh ball. Tasted great. Shaved Brussel sprouts and spinach. The sauce was fresh. I do have some red frozen, the consistency can change but it works also. Used some of that black garlic in a beschemel for this pie. Kind of weird. Looked and tasted like a gravy...

View attachment 1493681348885.jpg

View attachment 1493681385616.jpg

Does the tri-tip dry out? I've been told it's not the same after the bake.

I havent noticed that it does. That being said, I cooked to med-rare, and rested the steak so it was pretty juicy. This particular marinade is always a juicy steak so its a good one to use. Also I put the meat under the cheese and other toppings so it seems to get blanketed. Couple that with the convection bake and it gets things done in a jiff.

Thanks. I have a friend who is known for his tri-tip, we have been talking about collaborating. Those are some good ideas. He's tried making pizza with it but didn't like the results.

Zykgq7k.jpg
[/IMG]
Breakfast Pizza With Hash Brown Crust Recipe
I. INGREDIENTS
1 package shredded hash browns
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 eggs
8 slices bacon
1/2 cup diced ham
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
II. INSTRUCTIONS
1) Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

2) Spread the shredded hash browns on a pizza pan and press into a crust shape. Drizzle with melted butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

3) While the crust is baking, fry 8 slices of bacon and make scrambled eggs.

4) Remove crust from the oven and top with the scrambled eggs. Next, crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the eggs. Follow the bacon with the diced ham, and any other toppings you desire. Cover it all with shredded cheddar cheese.

5) Return the breakfast pizza to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
Video recipe
https://youtu.be/VgaClCNbLoQ

Anybody try casting their own stone using high heat refractory mortar? (Or have a link to a reasonably priced large rectangular syone?)

Anybody try casting their own stone using high heat refractory mortar? (Or have a link to a reasonably priced large rectangular syone?)

I've heard that the large travertine tiles (untreated) like you can get at the big box hardware stores work pretty well.

The drunken dough was the right recipe at least. Three pizzas with salchicha and three pepper onion blend. Cooked 2 a little longer, really liked that. Can see where second stone is needed. It just gives it that extra boost? What is advantage of second stone?Thanks. Cheddar on one. Tried to be gentle but 3 and 5 y.o. help makes it tough.

View attachment 1494204867082.jpg

View attachment 1494204876624.jpg

[not pictured]: roasted cauliflower and mushroom pizza with sage-garlic butter cooked outdoors on the grill.

I keep forgetting to photograph these things before I eat them.

I'm sad. Wife is kind of gone low carb, so she doesn't vote for pizza anymore. I know I can make pizzas for me and the others who want it, but it feels wrong to not include my wife, especially when I know she would see us eating it and want it. (Unless I made like a Rueben Pizza or something like that...)

I think I'll be baking one up here soon. Just have to plan it so I don't interfere with her diet plans. Been craving a Cheeseburger Pizza lately, but she likes those, so that's not helpful.

I'm sad. Wife is kind of gone low carb, so she doesn't vote for pizza anymore. I know I can make pizzas for me and the others who want it, but it feels wrong to not include my wife, especially when I know she would see us eating it and want it. (Unless I made like a Rueben Pizza or something like that...)

I think I'll be baking one up here soon. Just have to plan it so I don't interfere with her diet plans. Been craving a Cheeseburger Pizza lately, but she likes those, so that's not helpful.

Google Fat Head pizza recipe
It uses almond flour and cream cheese.

My wife has had a wheat allergy since she was born so I feel ya on that one. Since she has had it for so long she has assured me that it doesnt bother her but I still feel guilty. To top it off (see what I did there?) she has gone low carb, low dairy as well so I cant even offer to make her a gluten free crust so I usually grill some sort of meat to make a pizza with that I can then make a salad for her.

My wife has had a wheat allergy since she was born so I feel ya on that one. Since she has had it for so long she has assured me that it doesnt bother her but I still feel guilty. To top it off (see what I did there?) she has gone low carb, low dairy as well so I cant even offer to make her a gluten free crust so I usually grill some sort of meat to make a pizza with that I can then make a salad for her.
Have her look into Jason Fung fasting.

Is there a tried and true recipe for:
Sauce
Dough

Here's a good ny dough

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=31

I use more salt and about 2% higher hydration, cold proof for 48 hour, then room temp 2-3. It was solid on Thursday!

See my post about 5 replies up.
One can of 7/11 tomatoes and about half the saporito made a good ny street sauce. I added garlic, black and white pepper, frozen(thawed) processed basil and a little salt.

If I had to do it over, I would have just gone 2 cans 7/11 to 1 can Saporito. 7/11 my themselves would be a great sauce base, on the thinner side. Saporito is Super thick. The 7/11 are highly regarded in the industry, preferred over San Marzano by many.
I found those and 25# of OO flour at my local Gordon food service. $22 out the door.

Is there a tried and true recipe for:
Sauce
Dough

Here's my no cook sauce:

1 28oz can San Marzano tomatoes
1small can tomato paste
1/4 t granulated garlic powder or small clove grated
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 t Black Pepper
1 t Oregano
1/4 t Crushed Red Pepper

Use a hand blender until smooth . Should be enough for about 6 14" pie.

Here's my no cook sauce:

1 28oz can San Marzano tomatoes
1small can tomato paste
1/4 t granulated garlic powder or small clove grated
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 t Black Pepper
1 t Oregano
1/4 t Crushed Red Pepper

Use a hand blender until smooth . Should be enough for about 6 14" pie.

I use a simple sauce.

1 28oz can of your favorite peeled tomatoes.
Add 1 TBSPN of "Pizza" seasoning (I swear by Penzey's Spices if one can look past their politics of late).
Immersion blender but don't overdo it, you want some variation in the sauce for more rustic style pizza, though this is simply my preference.
I can usually bake close to 6 x14" pies with one can.

If I happen to have some red wine opened, I splash a bit in the bottom of the can of tomatoes to rinse it out a little and add to the sauce.

TD

Pizza Day, and man this is good, I didn't know how Hungary I was, I had left over shank ham, on the link pepperoni sliced thin , I slightly cooked the ham with half an onion then chopped raw with it, both yellow, also black olives, mozzarella on the bottom and cheddar on top

WP_20170522_002.jpg

WP_20170522_003.jpg

WP_20170522_004.jpg

Just a snack here. Had this dough my wife bought, and expired today. Made this za with tomato sauce spice with penzies pizza and salt. Realized peel sucks. Look at how the giant pizza mound covers it. Obviously need a bigger one. Meh, dough is ok at best. No salt. Steel was HOT, no doubting that. Thick slice tonight. Great snack. Look at the shape the sticking steal peel put on it. If someone through this thing like a frisbee at your head it would hurt.

View attachment 1495509421385.jpg

View attachment 1495509428577.jpg

View attachment 1495509438834.jpg

Latest posts

Back