The effect of hydrogen peroxide on yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ftest

Reaction score
I did search, but didn't get any proper answer. I have access to bleach and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and silver (Ag) ions (no star-san nor Iodophor).

I need to go with a no-rinse sanitizer. I've heard hydrogen peroxide can be a good choice. But the question is that the producer claims it can be effective up to several days, so if I dilute it in water and disinfect my carboy and stuff without rinsing, isn't it gonna ruin my yeast?

BTW, I can't wait for hours for the solution to break down completely.

Isn't hydrogen peroxide pretty volatile? I would thin a few hours, or even minutes under right conditions, would break it down pretty quick, hence no-rinse.

The amount left after sanitizing would be miniscule.

I agree. Personally I wouldn't be afraid to use it for your application. Like I said before, I buy 35% hydrogen peroxide. DO NOT use it at 35% for anything. To use it, for most instances, I dilute it down to 3%.

You MUST use food grade hydrogen peroxide though. The drug store stuff is not food grade.

I've gotten quarts of food grade H2O2 at health food stores besides that site I posted.

What is the correct concentration for H2O2?
The product I have is 7%. How should dilute it?

What is the correct concentration for H2O2?
The product I have is 7%. How should dilute it?

Kramer dilutes his to 3%. You could just mix yours half and half with distilled water.

Back