The Black Rhyno Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODI3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The filter is a milk create with the bottom cut out, with a square piece of swiss voille clamped to the top using 8 black paper clips in the corners. The filter is then placed ontop of my fermenter, below my ouput ball valve on my kettle. When the filter gets plugged, I just turn the frame over and tap it out to clean. when I have a more permanent brewing location, I may upgrade to a larger frame, but for now the milk crate works well.
If you don't have an out port on your kettle, you can just as easily dump the liquid into the frame instead.

The weight of the liquid and trub makes a nice parabolic inverted dome in the voile so the liquid only ever drips straight into the middle of the fermenter. If I am patient, I can pretty much get 100% of the liquid from this filter method. Also, as the trub builds up, it helps to better filter the liquid.

Before use, I just throw the square piece of voile into the boil to sterilize.

If you tend to brew outside, you may prefer to leave 3 of the sides of the milk create intact. this will help against the wind from blowing the wort stream around as it falls into the fermenter.

Hope this helps, Happy Brewing!

-Ryan O

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

If you only fill the frame up 3/4 of the way, the liquid doesnt touch the crate, alternatvely you could clean and spray with starsan prior. The pics above werent actually a brewing day, just some old yeast sluree i had in the fridge and used it for the demo.

Alternatively you could use a larger frame which would give you more filtering potential.

Latest posts

Back