The big hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipUSMC

Reaction score
So, I've searched the forums and haven't found anything that answers a specific question.

-What hops should I stock up on?-

I'm looking over some historic fact here and:
1. There was a Hops rut/crisis in 2008
2. We've had the worst drought this country has experienced (Europe was not as badly effected, but I understand they too took a hit) in a loooong while.
3. Prices of hops went up 200-400% in that one year (2008).
4. big breweries generally scoup up hops and us homebrewers are on the bottom edge of the food chain and have to be attuned to what the big guys are doing or we lose out on some opportunities.

So, I've looked over the vendors, they seem to be pretty reasonable in price and selection. Knowing I'll try full grain probably within the next 3-brews (not sure if I'll do BIAB or not, happy for your opinions there too). Also interested in dry hopping within the next 2-brews and/or a hopback. Not as interested in a hop rocket just yet, or randall-izing, however.

What hops should I stock up on, which is likely to go scarce, what hops is thee most common for what most newbs like me generally brew (ales, less lagering), which are most flavorful/aroma bearing and should be bought like gold. I read over some of the posts a few years back, and it seems like some folks hoarded hops. What hops (if any) should I consider hoarding?

I realize there's a fair amount here that's individual preference, but I think you all can advise based on the data I've given. As always, any and all advice is appreciated.

:confused:

:tank:

The only strain my LHBS ever runs out of is Amarillo. But there are always substitutes. If you are going to stock up on hops, what kind depends mainly on what you like to drink. If you like Wheat beers (ok to ferment them warm too) or Hefe, you might want a noble hop like Hallertau. If you like American Pale Ales, maybe Cascade or simcoe. If you like British beers probably East Kent Goldings or Fuggles.

Personally, other than Amarillo one time, (and they may have just been out of stock), I haven't noticed a problem getting whatever strain you want...especially if you use the Interwebs.

Stock up on the hops you use the most....Whats the point of stocking up on random hops if your not going to use them?

But I do agree with Glynn's suggestions....all of those are tasty damn hops, great in APA's and IPA's

I agree with the above post. You'll need to narrow down what ales you want to make first. You can usually find decent deals on craigslist on fresh cones also(at least in MN). You usually need to pick these yourself however.

Guess it wasn't a very relevant question. I am more into ales right now, but was looking for some advice to see if there are any generally scarce types I should be on the look out for.

Guess it wasn't a very relevant question. I am more into ales right now, but was looking for some advice to see if there are any generally scarce types I should be on the look out for.

I haven't heard much about the upcoming harvest, but the hops should all be available soon as harvest season will be upon us. I've noticed that the hops that seem to be in short supply are those that are "proprietary" and only grown by a few places. These have been simcoe, amarillo, and citra as far as I know. I've never had any issues getting other hops when I want them, but I do buy about 7 varieties by the pound to have on hand as they are much cheaper by the pound.

Latest posts

Back