The Belgian Horse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, I don't like Belgian beers, bought since there's so much wood, I appropriately named it so. I borrowed "stole" from as many HBT rigs where I liked the structure or concept and then incorporated it into my own. I still do not want to go the pump route and I have my IC from the days when I started over 15 years ago, but recently upgraded it with soldered connections and 2 quick disconnects. I thought about getting a plate or a counterflow, but since I only do 5 gallon batches and want to keep it simple, I'm sticking with my IC. I installed holders for 2 sets of hoses and I hang my water filter in a bracket on the side for easy access when I need to fill my HLT. Both SQ-14 burners are fastened down to the top and bottom platforms. The swivel locking casters are extremely smooth and will allow me to roll this from my shop out the the garage/driveway on brew day. There's a coat of Spar Urethane over the whole structure and everything is bolted together with galvanized hardware. Yes, there's 68 bolts and countless screws holding everything together. I had to re-torque the bolts twice since I bolted it together 3 months ago because the lumber has been losing moisture, especially the pressure treated posts. I think it has now finally stabilized. It has been drying in my heated wood shop and yesterday I finally put on a coat of varnish. My keggles were upgraded with fittings (soldered couplings) from what I learned here. I even polished the keggles, but I didn't go crazy with it; just took off the oxidation layer so they now look shiney. Let me know what you think. :ban:

1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Soldered couple

Couple.jpg

Looks like it should hold up nicely and I really like the polished keggles. BTW nice to see another person from Buffalo on these boards.

Latest posts

Back