The beer that got you into beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it was sierra Nevada pale ale sometime in the mid 90s... I realized beer didn't have to be what bud/miller/coors was all about, it could be something much, much better.

The beer that got me into beer and homebrewing are one in the same. A homebrewed cream ale I had while doing a fantasy football draft at a buddies house.

Prior to having this beer, I didn't like beer at all. I knew of "Craft Breweries", but I never tried any of them. I ignorantly thought they all probably tasted like horses piss just like budweiser. So I grabbed a beer, and before I knew it, it was gone. I grabbed another one and realized that whatever this was, it was delicious.

So I went home that night, and the next morning I decided to head on down to the store to pick up some cream ale, only I couldn't find any. For whatever reason, I never thought to ask where in the hell my buddy bought this delicious beer, so the search continued for another few weeks. Until finally, I asked and found out it was homebrew. I bought myself a kit the next week.

have always been a craft beer fan, but never thought I had the patience to wait for brewing my own...so I never started. then one day, had a Masala Mama (Town Hall Brewery) IPA on cask and fell in love. Since you can't really buy cask beer for home... there was only one way to get it.

Shiner Boch and Killians Irish Red.

Then I tried Ayinger Celebrator and it was on....

The beer that started it all for me was actually Yuengling. I drank a lot of that stuff in college, always dabbled a bit in trying new things. And would try different craft beers as often as I could. The beer that changed my outlook on beer entirely was at a pint night in Asheville, NC sponsored by Skull Coast Brewing out of SC called Dead Man's Porter. Still to this day my number one beer I've ever had.

Mine was Dechutes Black Butte Porter :)

Was 16 and my pappy desided he didn't want me to be all gungho about beer and possibly sneakin off and getting into trouble..lol so he let me have a beer or two at the house whenever he happened to get a sixer and that was ( at the time) the beer of choice

Soo delicious! Its still a favorite :)

My first "good" beer was Killian's Irish Red, but the beer that made me the way i am today was Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor. So good!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Guinness. I was shocked by the creamy body and flavor, loved it. Now I rarely drink it. All about the IPAs. My first IPA was from a brewpub in KCMO called McCoy's.

Bells Brewing - "Oberon"
Back when it was first called "Solsun"
( i think that was 1993 or 94 )

A friend of mine owned a bar in Chicago called " Delilah's "
Mike is a BIG beer nerd, got me drinking all the Begium stuff, never looked back from there.
:mug:

Yeah Steve that beer changed my life. It's a girlie Belgian wit now, but used to be a massive mother of beer.
I bought a keg (underage) of course at the eccentric tavern in '97 for a friends HS graduation party and I'm pretty about 100 kids got exposed to craft beer in one trip ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Red Nectar was the beer that got me. I had had all the American mass market stuff, Heineken, St. Paulie, etc. one day I tried the sixer of Red Nectar with the humming bird on it and it was all over.

Samuel Smith oatmeal stout. My first real beer. Still my favorite.

Growing up in a coal mining town of 300 we were very limited. We had th BMC,s, Pabst and such. We thought we were big shots with a Mickeys Big Mouth (remember the foil top). Sam Adams probably got the ball rolling.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Home Brew mobile app

I went out with some cop friends one night and got absolutely trashed on Killians Irish Red. In my more sober moments that night, I recall thinking how much better is tasted than Bud.

What really pushed me over the edge was Sam Adams Boston Lager and Boston Ale, though. It introduced me to a ton of great beers.

My father was an Air Force Pilot and I grew up all over the world

I can remember him drinking all kinds of beers, but being in the good ole USA as a late teen ager, I was a Miller fan.

One day I walked into a bigger liquor store and they had some San Miguel, one of those beers I had seen my dad drink in the Philippians. So I got a sixer,

It was different, had a fuller taste, next week I bought some of those German beers, a few bocks and a few lagers in the big bottles and sat down and started drinking them for the taste, not the buzz.

That set me off on a mission to taste beer. I started trying anything put in front of me. I discovered ales, I tried everything including malt liquors.

I think it opened me up a lot more than most guys, I appreciate just about every type of beer, I hear guys slam American light, but then when you are at the lake, hey that is the beer to drink.

Anyway, The beer that made me think

San Miguel. Not a great beer, but one that got me thinking

La Trappe Dubbel. It used to come in a clay pot bottle. It was quite expensive so I started looking at the English ales as they were cheaper, then I got the taste.

Btw San Miguel is great in Spain. 5.6%

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I remember my dad drinking a Fat Tire in Colorado back in like '94 and he was just raving about it. So that was the first ever craft beer I ordered when I was able to get into the bars in college. Still the old reliable for me to this day.

For me it was Mackeson Stout and McEwan's Scottish Ale back in college. Tuesdays were quarter off imports night at the grown up's bar. Drank them with the saltiest popcorn in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1989, College Station, Shiner Bock. $3 pitchers at Dudley's Draw..

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Home Brew mobile app

The first beer I really liked was Grolsch, and I drank a lot of that before I found the one that made me love beer - Warsteiner Dunkel. I used to live just a couple of blocks from Edelweiss, the German restaurant in Colorado Springs, CO. Some buddies and I used to go for lunch after work and we'd drink pitcher after pitcher with their bratwurst. It was heaven, and it opened the door to a whole world of beer.

Right around Aug. 16, 1977 (remember the date because Elvis died). I was 17 and went to Germany (West Germany back then) with my dad on a business trip. We went to a little restaurant and my dad asked the bartender if it was OK if I had a beer (drinking age was 18 in my state at the time). The bartender looked at my dad and shrugged, "He's your son."

For the next 2 weeks I had a German beer of one sort or another every night. I had no idea what they were but loved it. When I got back home and turned 18 I tired the standard Bud, PBR, Miller, act. and thought "This is crap."

It's been downhill ever since.

One of my best friends was dating a woman whose father was heavily into Rochefort. One day he told me "you have to try this beer that Al introduced me to, it's not like anything else you've had..."

That's also how I learned that the proper reason to drink is "because it's delicious," and not "because it gets you drunk."

Yeah it's funny how for some, like myself, beer was an acquired test, and for others people they just like beer from the first sip.

I remember drinking Schlitz Malt Liquor and chasing it with Mello Yello and having to funnel Natty Light just because I did it to get messed up not for flavor.

It was my dad's taste in beer that got me curious cause I didn't know there were different styles of beer.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I was at Old Chicago right after my 21st for the Oktoberfest mini tour. I rarely drank pre-21 and wouldn't ever touch beer when I did. Theres still a special place in my heart for that beer.

For me it was the opening of a Microbrewery on my way home from work. I had always thought of making my own beer, but until i started stopping over at the brewery and meeting people who made their own i always had it on the backburner. so it wasnt a specific beer, but a microbrewery that got me into drinking good beer and making my own since the good stuff at the store is so expensive!

Great question, OP! I have to break it down into 2 questions, though:

What got me started drinking craft beer: For me it was Red Hook Ale (the original one brewed in Ballard, full of banana esthers) Bass Ale, and Harp Lager. That was when I learned that yellow fizz was not the only game in town.

What got me thinking about home brewing: Chimay Red. I shared a bottle with my dad when I was 21, and started talking about homebrewing, then 9 years later, he got tired of my talking and gave me a HB kit from Alephenelia. 18 years later I'm still brewing, although my volume has gone up and down over the years. Currently brewing around 100-150 gallons of beer a year, plus cider, mead, skeeter pee and wine.

Harpoon Brewery and more specifically Harpoon IPA got me into craft beer. I took a trip to Boston with my wife and a few friends. Looking for things to do, we toured both Sam Adams and Harpoon. Got pretty banged up at Harpoon, but that's another story... while taste testing I had a Harpoon IPA and fell in love with IPA's which opened up the world of craft beer and enjoying beer for the taste and not just getting drunk.

As for home brewing, I really got into craft beer and have always been into cooking so I thought... why not give brewing a try. 4 years later I can say I am 100% hooked. I can't imagine ever stop brewing... or cooking for that matter. Both are a huge stress relief for me. There's nothing more relaxing to me then pouring a beer and standing at the cutting board preparing dinner.... well except maybe a few things my wife does for me :rockin:

Back